PDA

View Full Version : 1000pts/Imperial Guard/Friendly

ChaosD.
18th April 2009, 08:00
This isnt exactly an army list. More of recquired help. Im new to guard just starting them as alot of people are. However the only lists i have seen are 2000,1500 or even 23,000 pt lists. I usually used to use a 1500pt list and just minus the 500pts. But from previous experiance i find that its best to build a fresh one up from 0. So i was wondering if any Guard Vets could give me help to make a good, traditional guard list.

I only have 20 shock troops and a Commisar Lord at the moment, but this list should hopefully help me dictate what i shall buy next.

jonne12345
18th April 2009, 21:06
Hi i have some experience with IG so hopefully i can be of some assistance.

a traditional gurad is based on alot of guardsmans this is also the best way to create an army that can kick some ass.

so my advice is to get more guardsman at least 6 squads with plasma and missile launcher or heavybolter and 2 heavy support squads 1 with mortar and 1 with lascannons this is a good core in your army then later jut ad things you like.

My best tips are:
1) plasma and missilelauncher to shocktroops
2) 3xmeltas and no heavy to veterans
3) 3 or 4Flamers to platoon command squads= counter charge = GOOD!!!!
4) dont put lascannons in squads= waste lasshots on tanks
5) grenadelaunchers sucks
6) get plenty of AP weapons like basilisk, plasma etc because 40 lasshots to wound a terminator or Hivetyrant is NOT ok you need those shots where they counts like genestealers, gaunts etc.

well if you liked the tips and want some more just ask :)

sgt.Peter Stone
18th April 2009, 21:14
Like he said a good gaurd army begins with men alot

gernade laucher do not suck

ChaosD.
18th April 2009, 21:23
Right so lots of squads, with good combos on weapons. Flamers in Command Squads. I'm thinking about buying a leman Russ or two, any variants good. Another point, do i take big Platoons or small platoons but lots of them?

jedihobbit
18th April 2009, 21:37
Like he said a good gaurd army begins with men alot
QFT. A term you will come to know and love is "Meatshielding".

gernade laucher do not suck
They don't suck, I just haven't found them to be effective. Just in my brief experience flamers have done so much more damage, and when you have so many in one army it's awesome.

My take on Plasmaguns. If you plan to do plasma, go all the way with a Plasmagun in each squad. One or two are just a waste of points and a couple dead Guardsmen. For me it's just to expensive for something i shoot maybe once or twice a game, and generally only once due to the guardsman frying himself. Or i can pay a third of that for a weapon that can wound whole squads if i'm lucky, this weapon being a Flamer. And if it's not used in a game there are not as many points wasted.

One little bit of tactic I've found is having a "speed bump" squad in each platoon can be useful. For instance if you have a Platoon with three squads with Plasma/Missile Launcher, then take a fourth squad with just a flamer(much cheaper), spread them in front to take bullets/assaults.

With the new "orders" system the more command squads you have the better. Each command squad can issue orders like twin-linked Lasguns and such. At 1850pts I've been liking 3 platoons of 3-4 squads. And I've only used the basic Leman Russ so far, and it's a beast, one shot can literally blow away a entire Tactical Squad. Maybe a Demolisher for the high Ap against terminators and such.

jonne12345
19th April 2009, 11:18
Right so lots of squads, with good combos on weapons. Flamers in Command Squads. I'm thinking about buying a leman Russ or two, any variants good. Another point, do i take big Platoons or small platoons but lots of them?

well you should choose russ variant to complement the rest of your army, like if you decide to skip plasma in squads you should get some plasmacannon sponsons or demolisher. but my opinion is that you should have plasma in regular squads and melta or plasma in veterans regardless of leman russ variant. my tips is melta to vets and then drop them with valkyria= best chance to take out any tank, they will eat a landraider for breakfast.

my tips on platoon size is that your gunline consists of two 20 man squads and two more regualar 10 man squads that are speeding around in chimera capturing objektives or delaying enemy offensive (speedbump). give one chimera scout with urasarkar creed if that way they can be really anoying.
dealing with the chimeras together with vets in valkyrie is a real pain in the ass for your opponent when you are pounding him to pieces with your gunline.

speaking of pounding to pieces get some artillery and mortars, those thogehter a russ or 2 will really make your day.

ok grenade launchers maybe dont suck but they are no good compared to the rest, try for yourself if you want.