PDA

View Full Version : Anti-GK Daemons - 1,500pts

PyroSikTh
13th March 2011, 17:32
Okay, so here's my desperate attempt to fight back at Grey Knights and laugh. I still haven't looked through the codex, so I'm not entirely sure, and the list is only a rough draft so could do with lots of improving. Let's here what you have to say and hopefully spark some suggests to Daemon players on how to tackle this atrocity (exaggerating of course).

HQ
Bloodthirster - Blessing of the Blood God - 255pts
Herald of Tzeentch - Chariot, We Are Legion, Master of Sorcery, Bolt of Tzeentch - 110pts
Herald of Tzeentch - Chariot, We Are Legion, Master of Sorcery, Bolt of Tzeentch - 110pts

Troops
7 Plaguebearers - Chaos Icon, Instrument - 135pts
5 Horrors - Bolt of Tzeentch - 95pts

Heavy Support
Daemon Prince - Daemonic Flight, Mark of Khorne, Blessing of the Blood God - 165pts
Daemon Prince - Daemonic Flight, Mark of Khorne, Blessing of the Blood God - 165pts

Total - 1,495pts

Wave I
Horrors
Plaguebearers
Plaguebearers
Herald
Prince
Bloodthirster

Wave II
Plaguebearers
Horrors
Horrors
Herald
Prince

So let's break it down;
- Blessing of the Blood God is to keep those MCs alive from the mass Force Weapons.
- Heralds and Horrors are there to crack the Razorbacks and Rhinos, as well as offer some anti-infantry firepower.
- Plaguebearers are there to hold objectives and guide everything in.
- Icons are because that nasty GK power (the one causing auto-mishap) will keep you from DSing normally and in their face. It also keeps you together ready to plow in whenever you're ready and not whenever they're ready.
- Splitting of the waves is as even as possible. The first wave has the more units to further mitigate the risk of being tabled early (basic Daemon tactics really)

Thoughts? Opinions? Anything you would do differently?

Beeva
13th March 2011, 17:43
Bloodthirster - Blessing of the Blood God - 255pts

I laughed and cried at the same time. They were not tears of joy.

edmundblack
13th March 2011, 18:58
Nein. Needs more Cheese.

HQ

Herald of Khorne, Juggernaut, Blessing of the Blood God (stupidly cheap), Death Strike, Fury of Khorne: 135

Herald of Khorne, Juggernaut, Blessing of the Blood God, Death Strike, Fury of Khorne: 135

Herald of Khorne, Juggernaut, Blessing of the Blood God, Death Strike, Fury of Khorne: 135

Fast Attack

Flesh Hounds of Khorne * 14: 210

Flesh Hounds of Khorne * 14: 210

Troops

Plaguebearers of Nurgle * 7: 105

Plaguebearers of Nurgle * 7: 105

Heavy Support

Daemon Prince, Mark of Khorne, Blessing of the Blood God, Death Strike, Iron Hide: 155

Daemon Prince, Mark of Khorne, Blessing of the Blood God, Death Strike, Iron Hide: 155

Ron
13th March 2011, 19:48
(stupidly cheap now that a single army with tons of other anti-daemon toys are all equipped with Force Weapons).

Fixed it for you. :roll:

edmundblack
13th March 2011, 20:00
Yeah, I really hate how Grey Knights are so good at fighting Daemons.

PyroSikTh
13th March 2011, 20:34
That's not cheesy at all, how the hell am I going to open your tanks up?

edmundblack
13th March 2011, 21:00
To be fair, you always seem to manage OK so far.

Rahveel
14th March 2011, 07:16
plaguebearers seem like a really bad choice vrs GK. id just load up on hordes of Horrors, the only troops in the codex not dependent on CC, where GK WILL bend you over, tear off your pants, and rape you. also, you can pop some anti tank in the unit.

don't laugh, but consider screamers. personally ive had success with them far and beyond their perceived under-uberness, especially when facing an army likely to be rolling around in AV14.

also, a 2++ in CC dosent make the tremendously lackuster flesh hounds suddenly good, your still looking at str4/t4, and no power weapons. only their initial charge is really worth anything, and it isnt amazing. fill the points for these with more horrors (if you dont want screamers) imo.

also, wth? no flamers in a custom tailored to fight MEQ/TEQ list? :p

Rahveel
14th March 2011, 08:30
I do want to point out my moral oposition to custom tailoerd lists though.... as necicarry as it will be to actually stand a shot in hell (lol, it wont happen) at beating GK, Ill always prefer to bring an all comers list. but then, im lucky to be pure Tz all the time, and a strong shooty force should stand a better chance than one that relies on being in CC with GK.

PyroSikTh
14th March 2011, 09:02
Plaguebearers aren't meant to be in combat at all. They DS onto an objective in cover and go to ground.
My list doesn't have Flesh Hounds, so I don't know what that's about.
Didn't have enough points for Flamers once I'd put everything else in :(

Rahveel
14th March 2011, 09:26
oi, got those mixed in from EBs list mentally, ignore that bit about freeing up points by dropin em.

and with all GKs teliporty madness (MADNESS I SAY), or new found maneuverability with mech/stormraven, id assume those PBs probably will get into combat, especially if they are camping an objective. however most of the time your gonna get a round of shooting off on em after the DS, making horrors the desirable choice (imo).

Baragash
14th March 2011, 09:44
IMO you max out on Chariot Heralds with Bolt and Winged DPs with Bolt and then get min sized units of PBs with Icons and Flamers. PBs in first wave, land far away. Jump Infantry comes in after that and you pew pew with Bolts against his expensive models, use your speed not to get into CC and use DPs to assault and finish off depleted squads.

PyroSikTh
14th March 2011, 09:51
All this talk is tempting me to make a mono-Tzeentch army...as if I wasn't already tempted anyway. Nurgle and Tzeentch are my two favourite Gods.

Rahveel
14th March 2011, 10:10
lol, same. although since one of my main opponents is DH, ill be unlikely to be using much nurgle in my all comers lists. need to convert a 4th Tz Herald too.

edmundblack
14th March 2011, 11:17
With any luck, any attempt at making a "Pure" list with Daemons will actually help your cause, not hinder it when they eventually get released. I still find the idea of Nurgle and Khorne (etc) being "best buddies" during a fight rather ... odd to say the least. :?

And when it comes to increased manoeuvrability, against me you're likely talking Razorbacks and that's it. :P (and those damnable Plaguebearers are infuriatingly annoyingly good at staying alive :evil: )

Rahveel
14th March 2011, 11:47
With any luck, any attempt at making a "Pure" list with Daemons will actually help your cause, not hinder it when they eventually get released. I still find the idea of Nurgle and Khorne (etc) being "best buddies" during a fight rather ... odd to say the least. :?

agreed, chaos isnt buddy buddy with itself, it should be stronger for playing 'pure'.

Nocturnes
17th March 2011, 21:41
I hate the new grey knights, totally over powered imho. No shooting, that's a plus, but I play Dark Eldar more than I play shooty orks. Teleporting around.. power armor.. force weapons.. dreadknight... This has gotten a little bit out of hand. Blood Angels are the CC chapter, we don't need more marines running around with swords and force weapons. Next think you know, we're going to see a space marine hoard army.

On to fighting them!
In close combat, you MIGHT have a chance with plague bearers (Though they could BARLEY manage to kill some of my orks). Horrors also have a major issue with teleporting, they will melt in close combat. Lots of daemon princes too. They are a pain to kill.

In my experience fighting daemons, as both DE and Orks, I say take Horrors. Your only issue would be the teleporting.

edmundblack
17th March 2011, 21:53
I hate the new grey knights, totally over powered imho.

Read the Codex cover to cover and played many games with and against them then have you?

I do believe the same thing was said when they were done the first time, and then they had str6 as standard, WS5, True Grit and a bucket load of other special rules which made them uber, but expensive. Do you know what? They weren't. They were good, but they could at best scrape a win due to being heavily outnumbered. They're still expensive, and they'll still die like Marines. GKs are not, nor ever have been, over powered. They are the Elite of the Elite, a Chapter of consummate warriors the like of which no other Chapter can put to the field. They're meant to be as good as they are, because they're founded by the Emperor's Regent with his very own Geneseed to fight off the dark forces of the Warp wherever they are. They've always had Force Weapons, but now they're actually Force Weapons as opposed to being pointy things which give +2 str (I think I'll miss that). GKs lack melta weaponry and plasma, and what proper anti tank they can field are carried by vehicles, and due to the cost in points of getting any sensible force onto the board, there won't be that many. When Anti Tank power is a by-word for "Land Raiders", you know you're in for a hard time.

Blood Angels are "the" CC Chapter simply by virtue of getting Furious Charge now and then, having Death Company, Assault Marines as Troops etc etc. They're a Codex Chapter, Grey Knights are not in the slightest bit, nor ever have been, "Codex".

Do yourself a favour and pick up a Grey Knight army, give it a try and see how many games you win. If they're "overpowered", you shouldn't have a problem, regardless of opponent. If you get your arse handed to you 9/10 times, then I recommend you review your statement. It took me many months before I won with them last time around, and I suspect it'll be no different this time. I look forward to it, when it arrives in the post.

I suggest you drop this now.

Apologies to Pyro for the derailment.

Pox
17th March 2011, 21:55
getting rid of GK's mono-tzeentch is probably the best way in all fairness.

lots of flamers, horrors, chariots, bolt and winds of chaos - not to mention the changeling, chuck in some soul grinders if you like with phlegm that should help clear the room.

or mono-nurgle with 9 bile drones please :)

Nocturnes
18th March 2011, 01:43
Read the Codex cover to cover

Well the old one- I'm just judging by what GW is releasing on their website so far. I actually thought about making a army of them a while back (Out of Dark Angel veterans), but decided more orks where needed. Not to be a smart ass, or so to speak but I will pick some up when a battle force comes out :D.

They seem like a great army, I wish my current vanilla marines had some more common CC options, or could ally with them still.. Never the less, I am curious to see how the army plays out. I think I would LOVE to have a ally with them in a 2V2 match, that would be pretty insane.

Dose this picture imply that Daemonhost's can be taken in a regiment instead of just alone?
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1730317a_Blog160311_6.jpg

PyroSikTh
18th March 2011, 08:43
Dose this picture imply that Daemonhost's can be taken in a regiment instead of just alone?
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1730317a_Blog160311_6.jpg

Henchmen Warbands are available in the new codex. They're single units made up of Daemonhosts, Arco Flagellants, Death Cult Assassins, Jokaero, Crusaders, Warriors, Acolytes, Preachers etc etc

Nocturnes
18th March 2011, 18:49
Henchmen Warbands are available in the new codex. They're single units made up of Daemonhosts, Arco Flagellants, Death Cult Assassins, Jokaero, Crusaders, Warriors, Acolytes, Preachers etc etc

Thanks Pyro! I used allied Daemonhosts JUST before they where released with my new-found (And VERY cheap) Relictors. Loved them, as random as a ork wierd boy, and quite good at killing. I will miss using allied daemon hunters, dose anyone know if they can still do this in the new book? I'm assuming not.