PDA

View Full Version : [Chaos Daemons] Nurgle-Tzeentch - 1,500pts

PyroSikTh
14th March 2011, 10:10
[Updated list in Post 12]

I don't want to give up on my most favourite army, I really don't. This is basically going to be my Multi-God list, but without the Khorne units.

HQ
Great Unclean One - Cloud of Flies - 165pts
Herald of Tzeentch - Chariot, Master of Sorcery, We Are Legion, Bolt of Tzeentch - 110pts
Herald of Tzeentch - Chariot, Master of Sorcery, We Are Legion, Bolt of Tzeentch - 110pts

Elites
4 Flamers - 140pts
4 Flamers - 140pts

Troops
6 Plaguebearers - Chaos Icon - 115pts
6 Plaguebearers - Chaos Icon - 115pts
6 Plaguebearers - 90pts
5 Horrors - Changeling, Bolt of Tzeentch - 176pts
5 Horrors - Bolt of Tzeentch - 154pts

Heavy Support
Soulgrinder - Phlegm - 160pts

Total - 1,500pts

Basically this army is a Nurgle army in appearance, but with heavy Tzeentch influence - Heralds are Blight Drones, Flamers are bloated little men with ooze guns, Horrors are Ghouls, Soulgrinders may be Plague Hulks depending on money etc.

EDIT: Filled in the last remaining 410pts as well as dropped a few Plaguebearers. Yeah, I gave in with Soulgrinders. They don't get pwned quite as hard by the new Grey Knights as Daemon Princes do.

edmundblack
14th March 2011, 11:56
That was my first reaction: Soul Grinders?!? You!?! :shock: And then I thought "yes, that's about right. GKs struggle with AV, so AV13 ignoring shaken/stunned and with some big painful AP3 guns is about right" :P Have you considered Tongue too? Expensive, but str10 AP1 is not to be sniffed at, especially at that range. BS3 however. :?

I reckon, overall, with my standard GK list (you know it already, it'll just have transports I suspect) this may well do OK. Same against the rest of what I've got.

PyroSikTh
14th March 2011, 13:13
Soulgrinder was more because Daemon Princes are pretty much pointless against your Force Weapons. I've already given you an easy Kill Point in the Great Unclean One, I thought more would just be silly. In any case, this GK release is making me realise how Soulgrinders are worth it. Unlike Princes, they have some decent ranged weaponry, and despite being big footprints and likely the only vehicle on the table at a time, AV 13,13,10 isn't too shabby, Walkers are awesome, and Daemonic makes it pretty resilient.

I did consider Tongue. My first attempt gave both Soulgrinders both upgrades, but I thought 25pts for (essentially) Bolt of Tzeentch (which I've got plenty of anyway), with +2S...at BS3 really wasn't worth the extra cost. I could drop the Icons for them though, but I just figured I'd never really use it. Phlegm is good enough at taking out transports anyway. The big stuff I can just ignore.

My big worry at the moment is the low model-count. I'm not sure how survivable almost min squads would be, even if they are "come down and shoot" and "come down and be hard as nails".

edmundblack
14th March 2011, 14:45
I suppose as well you could always use the Soul Grinders as Defilers in a CSM army too (if you wanted to, I'd see no issue with them).

Daemons will always have a low model count, as a pure horde Daemon list is even less viable (which is a shame). Your best consolation is that all your units still have their inv saves and against GKs will have greater numbers (albeit only just).

PyroSikTh
15th March 2011, 11:04
Slight Revision, let me know what you think;

HQ
Great Unclean One - Breath of Chaos - 190pts

Elites
4 Flamers - 140pts
4 Flamers - 140pts

Troops
7 Plaguebearers - 105pts
7 Plaguebearers - 105pts
6 Plaguebearers - 90pts

Heavy Support

Total - 1,500pts

Given the GUO Breath of Chaos, because it's amazing and swapped the 2 Icons for an extra Plaguebearer each instead.

Rahveel
15th March 2011, 11:21
I still dont like SGs..... Ill keep taking DPs with BoTz and gaze (also 160pts, 190 if you want Iron Hide).

I feel it is more reliable, BS3 makes for more scattering on average than i would like in an ord wep that I will be unlikely to have more than one at a time of on the table.

PyroSikTh
15th March 2011, 12:17
I just don't trust the survivability of my Princes against an army of Force Weapons.

It also gives me an excuse to buy a couple of Plague Hulks.

edmundblack
15th March 2011, 12:43
Are you making this with a view of going just against me, or against a more diverse set of forces? Because I'm thinking that Salamanders, or Guard will not be that bothered by the Soul Grinders: comes down, gets a shot off, melta'd to death. A Daemon Prince is harder to shift for more armies than a Soul Grinder would be, Daemonic war engine or not. And anyway, how tough are Princes? T5 basic, so GKs are wounding on 5s standard, 4s with Hammerhand. That goes to 6s standard and 5s with Hammerhand, only going to 4s with Hammers. Then you get your inv saves (which you're very good at making 90% of the time) and then it requires a Ld test. Possible, but still not guaranteed I think.

I'd be more than happy to play test either set up with whichever army I have. The second list does do "it" more for me, as there's more Troops to do stuff with.

PyroSikTh
15th March 2011, 13:29
It's designed as an all-comers list, but keeping Grey Knights in mind seeing as you're my most played-against opponent. The main attraction of the Soulgrinders is that lovely S8 AP3 pie plate at 36" when it drops down. They're also a hell of a lot cheaper than Daemon Princes, and pack an equal, if not better punch in combat.

edmundblack
15th March 2011, 14:27
What you gain with one, you lose with the other however. Is there some sort of balance between the two which can be struck maybe? Maybe 2 SGs and one DP with a GD as HQ (TTFN, GCSE, R.E.S.P.E.C.T) ? I'm thinking that if it were found, you'd then have the SGs to be resistant to Force Weapons and the DP to be more resistant to Anti Tank fire power, thus creating a nightmarish target priority conundrum.

PyroSikTh
15th March 2011, 15:19
I have a Great Unclean One in there. Having a Prince as well is just too many points and forces me to skimp in places I don't want to be skimping.

PyroSikTh
10th April 2011, 09:49
Another slight revision;

HQ
Great Unclean One - Breath of Chaos - 190pts

Elites
4 Flamers - 140pts
4 Flamers - 140pts

Troops
7 Plaguebearers - 105pts
6 Plaguebearers - Instrument - 95pts
6 Plaguebearers - Instrument - 95pts
5 Horrors - Changeling, Bolt of Tzeentch - 159pts

Heavy Support

Total - 1,500pts

Swapped a single Plaguebearer for 2 Instruments and Changeling.

edmundblack
10th April 2011, 11:56
I think what you've got there would prove a challenge to face, no matter what army went against it. I don't see your Troops doing that much to be honest, but then again they do what they do well: hold objectives (clearing the feckers out is always the issue :evil: ).

I still wouldn't rule out your original Heavy choices - Daemon Princes can still lay down the hurt and won't die as comparatively easily as vehicles might.