PDA

View Full Version : [Tyranids] 2000pt. Tyranid Army - Second Attempt!

BaronBeer
23rd March 2011, 22:04
Hello again guys! Now that I've had more time to read and revamp things, I have decided to take a second crack at assembling a Tyranid army. I can't link my old attempt (only 2 posts =/ ), but should anyone feel the need to see the iterations this goes through it's on the Tyranid forum, entitled: First Tyranid Army Attempt - Help!

New list!

HQ 1: 1x Hive Tyrant: 1x Twinlinked Devourer with Brainleeches, Lash Whip & Bonesword, Wings, Hive Commander, Leech Essence, Paroxysm. 270 pts.

HQ 2: 1x Swarmlord: Leech Essence, Paroxysm, + 1x Tyrant Guard: 340 pts.

Elites: 3x Zoanthropes + Mycetic Spore transport. 240 pts.

Troops 1: 1x Broodlord with 11x Genestealers. 214 pts.

Troops 2: 1x Broodlord with 11x Genestealers. 214 pts.

Troops 3: 3x Tyranid Warriors: 1 with Venom Cannon, 2 with Devourer. 105 pts.

Troops 4: 3x Tyranid Warriors: 1 with Venom Cannon, 2 with Devourer. 105 pts.

Heavy Support 1: Trygon: Prime, Regeneration. 265 pts.

Heavy Support 2: Trygon: Prime, Regeneration. 265 pts.

Total: 1998 pts.

The concept is still the same, that being to deploy fully from reserve. The first deployment will be the Zoanthropes, so I can see where they end up, and it will be a more cautious deep strike due to their decent range. The second deep strike will be the Hive Tyrant, who will go where he's unlikely to land on the Zoanthropes or other harmful things. It will Paroxysm the most dangerous thing it can, then Shoot the most vulnerable thing it can. Both the Zoanthropes and the Hive Tyrant hope to deploy to support what comes next, but depending on the other guy's positioning, it may not be possible.

After that, both units of Genestealers will Outflank, sincerely hoping to Assault something right away. In the event that they can't, then ideally it will mean the other guy is severely bunched up and that my Zoanthropes will have plenty of targets to Blast. Next, the Trygons will erupt as they can basically do no wrong when it comes to Deep Striking. They'll shoot up anything that is vulnerable and in range.

Walking on from reserve will be my 2 units of Tyranid Warriors. They will employ their Venom Cannon(s) while hustling to objectives or what not. Finally, the Swarmlord will walk on from reserve with his Tyrant Guard and hoof it across the map to hack on stuff.

The main concern people had from the last list was trying to deepstrike a huge footprint of Gargoyles, which I've removed, and the lack of Troop units for Scoring. I hope this addresses both of those areas.

All in all, the focus is to take the first strike opportunity away from the opponent, and put it safely back in my hands. With 1448 of my 1998 pts. arriving from Deep Strike/Outflanking, I feel it gives me a great edge in doing this. My first 'real' turn should have me able to send up to 3 Blasts/Warp Lances, 24 Str 5 shots, 6 Str 6 shots with rerolls to hit, hopefully an Assault or two into the enemy, and maybe even 1-2 Venom Cannon volleys as the first strike.

I hope this puts the other guy in the position of either bottling up center, making Blasts more effective, or getting assaulted right away. Either way, I hope the Warriors just squat on objectives and support from range.

All this being said, this is only my second attempt at an army. I am posting here hoping for feedback, tweaks, experiences good or ill doing similar things, and criticisms. I could easily swap a unit of Tyranid Warriors for 21 Termagaunts, for example, but I just don't want to move so many units, and they have gimpy T-Rex arm range on those Fleshborers.

Thoughts?

Sybrite
24th March 2011, 04:29
looks a bit better than the last :)

-Swarmlord comes with all the psychic powers, so no need to list them (or think you only get two)

-Tyrant's Hive Commander that you can out-flank with one unit of troops. which could be nice to do with one of the warrior units (since the genestealers get that option via infiltrate) but that should get one set of warriors into shooty range faster since they won't have to walk the entire board (at least if they arrive on the proper short edge, but Swarmlord should help that too), also by the looks of your strategy, you should know that the tyrant has to shoot the same target with it's gun and pychic power (can't split targets with both weapons)

-not fond of minimum sized warrior broods, all 3 will fit under a large blast marker which spells doom if that blast is from a demolisher or battle cannon. also not fond of the Venom cannon for warriors, not strong enough to really see it as an improvement but strong enough to divert the entire squad into wasting shots on a light vehicle. much prefer to use the barbed strangler for better dedicated anti-infantry shooting or not take either to save points.

-also, it's good that you have a game plan if reserves all arrive like you'd hope. but understand that even with +2 to your rolls things can still not come in when you expect (a bad roll will mean your zoanthropes are not ready to arrive on turn 2)

lastly, have you considered Mawlocs instead of trygons? Trygon primes do pose a threat when they arrive since they still have alot of shooting, but their real strength is still assaulting (which is why I guess you have regen in hopes to have them survive long enough to assault after deepstriking). Mawlocs on the other hand do their best damage by Deepstriking, using their Terror from the Deep special rule to directly attack units upon arrival, it may not be as many hits as the trygon's containment spines but the TftD is a little stronger and specialized being S6 AP2 (meaning it'll definately ruin the day for marines and even scare terminators). While the mawloc does have worse close combat stats, it has the same life expectancy of a trygon, but you can fit 3 mawlocs for the price of your 2 tooled trygons, meaning you'll have an extra 6wound monster for your opponents to deal with, and if not fully dealt with they can re-burrow and deepstriker again! (actually 3 neked mawlocs are slightly cheaper)

BaronBeer
24th March 2011, 06:37
Whoa! I somehow missed the extra unit of Outflank via Swarmlord! What if I combine my Tyranid Warriors into 1 unit of 6, ditch the Venoms (since I could only have 1 now) and instead augment the whole unit with Deathspitters? The potential then exist for another 18 Str 5 attacks on things within 24" of a table edge! I like that...

Also, I didn't' realize I'd have to shoot the same thing with the Hive Tyrant, but I do now.

Finally, in this Deepstriking scenario, what losses am I most likely to incur first given the units that I intend to send at the enemy?

BaronBeer
25th March 2011, 18:40
In light of some new found knowledge, here is the final list that I think will stand the test:

HQ 1: 1x Hive Tyrant: 1x Twinlinked Devourer with Brainleeches, Lash Whip & Bonesword, Wings, Hive Commander, Leech Essence, Paroxysm. 270 pts.

HQ 2: 1x Swarmlord + 1x Tyrant Guard: 340 pts.

Elites: 3x Zoanthropes + Mycetic Spore transport. 240 pts.

Troops 1: 1x Broodlord with 11x Genestealers. 214 pts.

Troops 2: 26x Hormagaunts. 156 pts.

Troops 3: 4x Tyranid Warriors: 1 with Venom Cannon, 3 with Devourer. 135 pts.

Troops 4: 4x Tyranid Warriors: 1 with Venom Cannon, 3 with Devourer. 135 pts.

Heavy Support 1: Trygon: Prime, Regeneration. 265 pts.

Heavy Support 2: Trygon: Prime, Regeneration. 265 pts.

Total: 2000 pts.

As before, everything is in reserve. The Genestealers will Outflank, and the Hive Tyrant's Hive Commander will have the Hormagaunts do likewise with his Alien Cunning.

There are now 4 Tyranid Warriors to each unit, though I could easily combine them into a single Troop of 8 if people think this superior. Currently I have them using Venom Cannons.

What do people think about this list?