PDA

View Full Version : [Grey Knights] Inquisition Force - 1500 / 1750 / 2000

commandojimbob
19th April 2011, 12:20
So I am still playing about with what lists to aim for regarding my Inquisitor force. Here is another look using no Jokero and the cheaper Rhino :

1500pts

Inquisitor Coteaz
7x Deathcult Assassins
2x Crusaders
1x Banisher with Eviserator
Landraider Redeemer with AC / MM / Psybolt Ammo

3 units of :
8x Acolytes - 5 Boltguns, 2 Meltaguns, 1 Plasma Gun
2x Crusaders
Rhino

8x Psykers
2x Crusaders
Rhino

Vindicare or Callidus

Dreadknight with teleport and Heavy Incinerator

1466pts (bits spare)

1750pts

Above plus :

Vindicare or Callidus (another Assassin)

8x Psykers
1x Crusaders
Rhino

Is 2 Psyker units overkill at 1750pts ???

2000pts

Above plus :

Another Dreadknight (same load as 1500pts)
1x Crusader in the 1750pts psyker unit

Thoughts ?

Reason stuck a couple of crusaders in with psykers is if they should suffer perils, then at least I still have a mobile scoring unit. Also adds a bit of CC protection with the storm shields and power weapons.

edmundblack
19th April 2011, 13:28
Whilst I can see the value of taking a Rhino, the Chimera does have it's advantages: 2 heavy weapons on board, better capacity, better frontal AV and 5 can shoot from the hatch. Worth the extra I think. Have you considered taking Storm Bolters on your Warriors? I know they're more expensive, but they've better movable range, more shots to compensate for so-so BS and still quite cheap.

For Coteaz's pimp wagon, I'd suggest Psyflame ammo, just for lulz. Str7 AP3? Yes please! Otherwise, his unit looks OK.

Don't know about the DK with teleporter. You could take the mystic "psychic beacon" and just DS it in later in the game and start ripping stuff up?

It all looks fine to me, overall. I'd try and get another HQ in there at 2000 points though, just to get some backup. Maybe a Psyocculem Witch Hunter to join some plasma heavy Warriors? BS10 against Psykers sounds ... fun. :twisted:

commandojimbob
19th April 2011, 14:04
I have been umming ahhhring over Rhinos and Chimeras - Im not set on them yet and will play a few "count as" games to get a feel. I have one this Wednesday against my SM mate so we shall see (i will borrow his Rhinos and Redeemer).

I had considered Stormbolters but wanted to keep the Acolytes reasonably cheap to have a mass of bodies but it is a valid point - they would still only be 1pts more than regular Guardsman though so I guess I should keep playing around with it.

DK with Teleporters, for me, seems to be the "Psychological" threat from my list - a flying MC with a 32" Flamer threat range is just too good to pass - I want the DK to be a threat 1st turn whether through moving and flamering or "Shunting" into my opponents lines (and you can still shoot).

Will see how the "Count as" games go.

edmundblack
19th April 2011, 16:14
Cool, I'll be interested to see how it goes too - a pure Inquisitorial army does have a certain appeal to it. :D

Bodopo
19th April 2011, 21:06
Like the HQ, a whole load of kick ass, personally i prefer the crusader with psybolt ammo.

In the troop choices can i suggest you split the multi melta and plasma teams up rather than combining them. EG go with two teams with 3 melta's in each and one team with 3 plasma's in each or visa versa. That means you can give specific tasks to each unit and it will more effective at that task. Eg you send the meltas tank hunting and the plasma after some men/monsters.

commandojimbob
20th April 2011, 09:14
Like the HQ, a whole load of kick ass, personally i prefer the crusader with psybolt ammo.

In the troop choices can i suggest you split the multi melta and plasma teams up rather than combining them. EG go with two teams with 3 melta's in each and one team with 3 plasma's in each or visa versa. That means you can give specific tasks to each unit and it will more effective at that task. Eg you send the meltas tank hunting and the plasma after some men/monsters.

I had considered the plasma / melta suggestion and I may go that way - but giving each unit both enables all 3 to do a task.

As for the Crusader - if you give the Hurricane bolters Psybolt upgrade they lose their "Defensive" classification (S4 to 5) which actually negates the whole point of having hurricane bolters for the "always fire" when moving 6".

commandojimbob
20th April 2011, 15:11
So I have been considering EB's advise and here is what I think looks quite tidy :

1500pts

Inquisitor Coteaz
7x Deathcult Assassins
3x Crusaders

3 units of :
10x Acolytes - 7 Stormbolters, 2 Meltaguns, 1 Plasma Gun
2x Crusaders
Chimera with Stormbolter

Vindicare or Callidus

1496pts

1750pts

Above plus :

Vindicare or Callidus (another Assassin)

8x Psykers
Rhino

Less 1x Crusader from HQ

2000pts

Above plus :

Another Dreadknight (same load as 1500pts)
2x Crusdaers in Psyker unit
1x Crusader added back to HQ

So added Stormbolters and Chimeras - added firepower actually makes sense .

edmundblack
20th April 2011, 20:43
Not bad, though I stand by the secondary HQ for support at 2000 points. However, it does have a certain appeal to it, being Coteaz's own personal army to play with. :D

I would personally prefer to see a different model used as the Dreadknight, but I couldn't say for sure what would fit. :?

commandojimbob
26th April 2011, 18:47
Ok - more pondering about this list. So here is my new thoughts :

1500pts
Very similar with some tweeks

So I have been considering EB's advise and here is what I think looks quite tidy :

1500pts

Inquisitor Coteaz
7x Deathcult Assassins
3x Crusaders

2 units of :
9x Acolytes - 6 Stormbolters, 2 Meltaguns, 1 Plasma Gun
3x Crusaders
Chimera with Stormbolter

1 units of :
10x Acolytes - 7 Stormbolters, 2 Meltaguns, 1 Plasma Gun
2x Crusaders
Chimera with Stormbolter

Callidus

Here is the main change

Add to the above

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor with Conversion Beam and 3x Servo Skulls
4x Servitors with Plasma Cannons
2x Crusaders
Chimera with Storm Bolter

2000pts

Another Dreadknight and add an acolyte to the sevitors and turn the 10/2 unit to 9/3 like the other two ?

Thoughts ?

edmundblack
26th April 2011, 19:53
I think 2 DKs would likely be more than enough, so I'd consider investing more points into the considerably more squishy Troops. But at 6 units already, that'd be hard. Contemplated the whole "Psyoculem + Joke-ero" combo? BS10 Lascannons, 5 at a time from a chimera? :P

commandojimbob
27th April 2011, 11:02
No not considered that and actually, I think it would work better with Plasma Cannons, considering that is not many psychic vehicles in the game, and psychics tend to hide within units - so its better to hit the unit and almost never scatter, for full effect - i know my mate and his Librarian in Tactical squad would hate that ! Although Lascannons would work better against Alex_H on here vs his Nids...... ponders.......

So do you think 2 Dreadknights are pointless then ? Should I go for a Dread and some extra stuff instead of the extra Dreadknight or even perhaps a unit of actual power armoured dudes - maybe an Interceptor squad for added mobility and threaten flanks ??

edmundblack
27th April 2011, 11:53
I think two DKs is the ideal number. 3 is overkill, but 2 is effective but not overly expensive.

As for what else to have, have a look at what the army currently lacks and fill that gap. Should do the trick. :D

Commissar Tilz
3rd May 2011, 19:39
Thank you for this discussion, i am currently wrestling with a pure inquisitor army 1500pts. I have 6 units of troops two of which are assassin heavy... But i wanted to include an attached Eversor assassin (lots of attacks!!)... not sure if i can do this?!

Also in your assassin assault squad how about another inquisitor with Rad grenades this would make the most of the multiple power weapon attacks :D

As for the Assassin in the list you have - perhaps a vindicare would be the option of choice ahead of the callidus? Vindicares act as great and accurate fire support to protect your mechs...

commandojimbob
3rd May 2011, 19:48
Hey Tilz - glad the discussion is of use to you.

Here is my thoughts :

Thank you for this discussion, i am currently wrestling with a pure inquisitor army 1500pts. I have 6 units of troops two of which are assassin heavy... But i wanted to include an attached Eversor assassin (lots of attacks!!)... not sure if i can do this?! The Eversor does not have Independant Character status so he is all on his own - not very useful unless you can get him in CC quickly.

Also in your assassin assault squad how about another inquisitor with Rad grenades this would make the most of the multiple power weapon attacks :D I have looked at this and it definately is a good call - but as I have the Assassins going with Coteaz, I cant include another - and I want Coteaz there for his Daemon Hammer and "Sanctuary" psychic power which is useful.

As for the Assassin in the list you have - perhaps a vindicare would be the option of choice ahead of the callidus? Vindicares act as great and accurate fire support to protect your mechs... In a few versions of the list, as you can see above, I have the Vindicare in. I like what he gives and will no doubt get and pain the model - but the Callidus for me offers something harder hitting you cant ignore

For me the Inquisition lists are more interesting and versatile than the Grey Knights . Down the line I can envisage adding a Grey Knight unit as a detachment to assist Coteaz, but for now I want his personal warband.