PDA

View Full Version : Land Raider

nidcron
21st October 2011, 00:25
Not a big fan of them, so I want to know how neccisary is a Land Raider in GK lists?

I am mostly going to be playing 1500/2000 points lists, and want to keep HS slots open for other things if at all possible.

kingfig
21st October 2011, 00:47
Well it’s a preference thing to be honest… if you don’t like them don’t bother as you can take something just as good if not better for the points.

nidcron
21st October 2011, 01:03
OK, just didn't want to go out and get what I want only to find that I have to drop another $60 on a tank I don't really like since it is a "must have."

wookieplus
21st October 2011, 01:47
GK has some interesting possiblities for the LR though:
(1) you get Psychic Pilot (with the Fortitude skill, which means you've a good chance of ignoring shaken and stun!) and Aegis, which helps against psychic attacks. For a small increase in the basic cost this is good value as it improves the defensiveness of an expensive item.
(2) for a 5 point investment, you can have librarians Summon the LR.
(3) you can increase the strength of the Flamestorm cannon for 15 points (a bit on the expensive side tho) or give the Crusader (or other LRs) Psybolt for a mere 5 points! This increases your TL assault cannon to S7, and the hurricane bolters to S5. Ok, the bolters lose their 'defensive weapon' status as they are now >S4, but hey, you've got Machine Spirit so can fire 2 weapons on the move anyway. I think that the Crusader suddenly got a lot more interesting!

jettzypher
21st October 2011, 08:11
land raiders are a good option if your armies are terminator/paladin heavy and you need to move quick to evade large weapons that negate armor saves. if your armies have more strike squads, purgation, and purifier units then stick to rhinos/razorbacks and save the points for something else.

Beeva
21st October 2011, 11:28
You can always go for the Storm Raven route.

edmundblack
21st October 2011, 12:07
You can always go for the Storm Raven route.

There is no excuse for the storm raven.

The thing with Land Raiders is that they've the same problems as any other vehicle: one is dead, two is a problem, three is a headache and likely over doing it. I find that two is a good bet to cart Terminators around in, add some decent long and mid-range firepower and generally be a pain. In a 2000 point list, that's 510 points right there in two vehicles, and they're far from invulnerable. Use them wisely however and you can find that they'll perform well. Very often I've got one still at the end of the game and sometimes both of them albeit a little battered.

I would suggest Crusader and Godhammer though, the Redeemer is too short-ranged for my tastes. Whilst the Crusader has only twin linked boltguns, you can still barrel it forward 12" and use the Power of the Machine Spirit on the Assault Cannon, get your guys out (2" disembark + base width remember) and assault. That's a 22"(ish) charge range from one of the most formiddable CC units in the game. What's not to like?!? :twisted:

jettzypher
21st October 2011, 12:25
ya. storm raven is a nice piece but too easily taken down really. you can kinda play it the same way. flat-out across the board, power the machine the melta at something and take it out. but your guys cant simply jump out and assault. plus crusader holds more guys...

edmundblack
21st October 2011, 12:31
Much better looking model too.

jettzypher
21st October 2011, 15:30
ya... i thought the storm raven was badass looking at first, then after 6 months of playing with it, i didnt care for it quite as much. should go find me some sweet model thats completely unrelated and slap it on an oval base stand.

Cryage
23rd October 2011, 06:56
Also keep in mind with a crusader, the hurricane bolters are str 4... so they're defensive weapons ;)