PDA

View Full Version : 3000 Chaos (2 detachments)

MasterDRD
13th September 2008, 04:21
This was written because I was facing 2 guys with smaller lists each, and my highest list was a 2000 list. I didn't bother actually seperating the whole army into the detachments, but I'm sure if called upon to do it properly I can make it fit. Anyway, here it goes:
HQ
Chaos Lord, Mark of Khorne, Power Weapon, Personal Icon [120]
Chaos Lord, Mark of Khorne, Power Weapon, Personal Icon [120]
Abaddon the Despoiler [275]
Greater Daemon (out of FOC) [100]
Greater Daemon (out of FOC) [100]

ELITES
Chaos Dreadnought, Extra Armor, Dread CCW x2, Heavy Flamer [120]
Terminator Champions x6, Icon of Khorne, Heavy Flamer, 2x TL Lightning Claws [295]

TROOPS
Chaos Space Marines x9, Icon of Khorne, Meltagun, Aspiring Champion with Power Weapon [205]
Rhino [35]
Chaos Space Marines x9, Icon of Khorne, Meltagun, Aspiring Champion with Power Weapon [205]
Rhino [35]
Chaos Space Marines x10, Icon of Khorne, Flamers x2, Aspiring Champion with Power Fist [230]
Rhino [35]
Chaos Space Marines x10, Icon of Khorne, Flamers x2, Aspiring Champion with Power Fist [230]
Rhino [35]
Lesser Daemons x10 (out of FOC but scoring) [130]
Lesser Daemons x10 (out of FOC but scoring) [130]

HEAVY SUPPORT
Vindicator, Daemonic Possession [145]
Havocs x9, Icon of Chaos Glory, Missile Launchers x4 [225]

TOTAL [3010]

Ok, so it was 10 points over. That can be adjusted. We didn't get to finish the game (or even pass turn 2) because the store owner had to set up for an event in the morning and everyone had to pack up early. Anyway, tell me what you think of the list, how it will stack up, etc. (I could be facing any combination of tyranids, necrons, space marines, eldar when fighting these guys, and large points games is a must when playing with a group... As I have the largest army, I'll probably be the 1 man team if necessary)

Cap Was Right
13th September 2008, 06:09
Those Chaos Lords are pretty weak, there's not much they can do with just a Power Weapon and a Mark of Khorne, after all, they're only S4. You're not going to get much out of those Personal icons, I assume they're going to be part of those CSM squads with 9 units, which means those squads are going to have two icons. Even if the Lord leaves the unit as soon as they leave the Rhino, he still won't be able to do much with his icon since he'll still be within a few inches of the unit. If you want to use them as Daemon Bombs, one or both of them needs a Bike or Wings/Jump Pack to get in position to Daemon Bomb effectively.

Also, three Dreads, you're crazy... CRAZY I TELLS YA! That's just asking for a horrible roll on every turn making a Dread or two useless, or worse, frying your own troops with a Flamer. If you're deploying all three Dreads together on one side of the field and away from your own troops then trying to get them stuck in as quickly as possible, it could work. There's still the fact that you have three of them, increasing the chances that something will happen leaving one or more Dreads useless for a turn while they get shot to bits trying to get into melee.

Other than that, looks light on anti armor for 3000 points. If you could find the points somewhere, I'd swap one of the Dreads for a Defiler, gives you at least a chance to glance AV14 and you still have a nasty walker for assaults.

If this is supposed to be two armies and you're doubling the number of Greater Daemons you can take, why not do the same for Heavy Support and swap all the Dreads for a pair of Defilers?

I have my doubts as to how well this list would do, if it whittled down to a 1500 point list, I'd love it, but at 3000 points, I don't. If I were you, I'd make a 1500 point list that was balanced as if it were the only thing you were fielding then make a second 1500 point list that does something more specialized, in this case Assault or Daemon Bombing, that compliments the first list.

xav
13th September 2008, 18:06
If you deply dreads away from troops together,by the time you get them at the enemy they will have shoot each other to peices!

MasterDRD
14th September 2008, 05:57
If you deply dreads away from troops together,by the time you get them at the enemy they will have shoot each other to peices!
With S4 and S5 shooting, they can't hurt each other by going crazed. The lords actually do quite well in my experience, though I get where you're coming from here. They have the icons just in case wound allocation makes me lose my squad icon; I want to be able to bring the deepstrikers in where I need them, to contest or defend objectives as needed. I would definitely take a defiler if I could, however I don't own any. However, I fully understand and agree that the list isn't very defined as a 3000. This was built in a hurry off of a 3000 for lack of time, so there wasn't much tactical thought going into it... I really just posted it for general reaction and whatnot. I'm buying more black reach soon as well, then I can work on getting more specialized units. I'll probably get more vindicators at some point, and as for defilers, I intend to eventually get 3 soul grinders. I can use it as a defiler, and thanks to the mawcannon I don't have to worry about WYSIWYG too much. Anyway, tell me what works and what doesn't guys, I will probably need a good 3000 list in the weeks to come. (keep in mind I own no defilers, predators, land raiders, daemon princes, raptors, bikers... I only have 1 vindicator, only 4 rhinos, I have plenty of terminators but I don't have varied weapon options ie 5 pairs of lightning claws and whatnot. I do have a surplus of troops however, and keep in mind that by using 2 detachments I can have double my FoC slots' worth. Said detachments will be played as a whole army, meaning deepstrikers from 1 list can use the others' icons, etc. This is because any 3000 points+ games will usually be against 2 or more guys working together.)

Cap Was Right
15th September 2008, 11:36
I only have 1 vindicator, only 4 rhinos, I have plenty of terminators but I don't have varied weapon options ie 5 pairs of lightning claws and whatnot. I do have a surplus of troops however, and keep in mind that by using 2 detachments I can have double my FoC slots' worth. Said detachments will be played as a whole army, meaning deepstrikers from 1 list can use the others' icons, etc. This is because any 3000 points+ games will usually be against 2 or more guys working together.)

You're in good shape for 3000 points with those units, you always need Rhinos and troops can be just about anything with a few bits and some Greenstuff.

If I were you, I'd convert some of those troops into Plague Marines, they have Flamer and Melta options so you don't have to change the weapons on any squad that you swap. You already have the most important thing for the Plague Marines as well, the Rhino. I say this because you have such a glut of nasty assault troops, but a deficiency when it comes to take and hold. You also don't have to worry about your Icon getting destroyed in a Plague Marine squad since killing one is so damned difficult anyway.

If you really have that many Terminators, I'd fiddle with the list to see if I could squeeze some of them in there as well. At 3000 points you can field an ungodly number of Terminators, even if you run them with no wargear upgrades, I say keep stuffing Terminators in there until you run out of models. Force your opponents to spend turn after turn bouncing shots off your Terminator squads. Also lets you field some Reaper Autocannons which, although expensive, are insane against light vehicles and still really damned good against MEQ, even though they're getting an armor save you're wounding on a 2+.