• Magnetising Space Marine Centurions

Centurions are nearly £50 for 3 models. Don't you want to get the most bang for your buck?

This walk through will show you how to magnetise all weapons that come with Centurions so they can be fielded as Assault or Devastator, using all heavy weapons/drills/Melta/Flamer.

If you use this walk through, the hoses that attach to the back of weapons will not be used at all.
    Personally I cannot be bothered working out how to magnetise them for something that I feel is superfluous anyway, the model looks just as good, if not better.

A few of things:
    Magnet bonding is far stronger when they physically touch, rather than using the magnetic field produced.
    Make sure the magnets are the correct way around before glueing in place! Removing a glued magnet is nigh on impossible without destroying the surrounding plastic.
    You may find a better position for your magnets, but this is how I did it.
    Check that your holes of the gauntlets and weapons line up before glueing.

Equipment needed:
    Superglue (I use a pot that has a brush)
    hobby drill/power drill(a little more cumbersome...)
    2mm drill bit
    2mm magnet (I bought mine from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1308734212...84.m1439.l2649 ). Each arm requires 1 magnet, each heavy weapon requires 1, drills require 2 and melta/flamer require 1 adding up to 48 magnets. I bought 100 as I also magnetised my Sternguard so all weapons can be used.
    Razor blade (useful for separating magnets)

Instructions:
    Arms:
    First, locate the 'groove' just behind fingers, marked with a red arrow. You want your magnet to ever so slightly cut into this, but drill the hole where the red circle is, just next to the first 'ridge' of where weapons are mounted, marked with a blue line.
    Double check the magnets are correct.
    Install one magnet in each, make sure they are the same polarity facing outwards
    You can see the right gauntlet already has the magnet installed

Heavy Weapons + Assault Drills:
    The next series of photos show some of the heavy weapons and where to drill. Each weapon has 2 'blocks' on its outer edge. You want to drill just slightly into the block that doesn't have to bits sticking out.
    Install the magnets with the opposite polarity facing out, than the gauntlets.
    You don't want the magnet to be quite flush with the plastic, sticking out a bit so that there is a physical bond between gauntlet and weapon magnets.

Assault Drill Melta/Flamer:
    Interchangeable small weapons too? woohoo!
    GW have kindly helped you here as there is a circular piece of plastic sticking out on all the flamers/meltas which you can drill exactly there.
    This picture shows one melta already drilled:

Line the weapons up on the Assault drills out edge and you can see where you need to drill.
    Drill just slightly into the little recess. Marked with a red circle here:

Again, you can all Assault Drills to have the same polarity facing outwards, with all the Meltas/Flamers with the opposite polarity facing outwards.

Here's a couple of pics with the weapons magnetised:

Now enjoy your new arsenal. Remember that Devastator Centurions with the omniscope can Split fire, so sometimes it's a nice idea to have one model with different weapons such as 2x Grav cannons for the pesky 2+ saves and then a Dual Lascannon for the large tank bearing down on you!
    Comments 10 Comments
      payneib -
      Really good tutorial, thoroughly impressed with your methods.

Having seen the models close up now though, it just highlights how hideous they are!

Wookie2012 -
      Oh just an addition.

the chest weapons (missile launcher, Hurricane bolter, Assault bomb things) don't need magnetising. They sit quite flushly so should not fall out, nor should be impossible to pull out.
      If they do, it's quite simple to install 2 more magnets to make sure they stay.

They are quite garish I'm contemplating removing the generic Imperium insignia which is quite boring, and trying to see if I can mould some other insignias to them. Have you seen them fully built unpainted? I quite like them - Bulky mobile tank type units. Mine are going to be allies so I've got a cool paint scheme for them and my sternguards.

Razor Cure -
      Oh they are small magnets! I assume the bond is pretty strong? I was thinking of using some to stick my Warshrine on my Rhino..and have it detachable for ease of movement.
      I still like the Centurions!
      Are you gonna post a tute of what you did with the Sternys? I'd be interested to see how the magnets go with more 'standard' sized figures.

Wookie2012 -
      Yeah they're pretty small. I usually use 3mm to stick standard Marine/terminator arms but 3mm would have been too big.

The bond is strong enough to move them about reasonably forcefully, ie, on a tabletop they won't be falling off. Even more so if the magnets touch as they 'snap' together.

I've already magnetised one box of Sternguard, If I can retro actively create a walk through with them I will, otherwise I have another box to make It will also include how to do Heavy Bolter and how to make the Heavy Flamer without the backpack (it has tubes from gun to backpack, which I have done away with)

I have used 3mm magnets to make all the land raider side doors magnetised so I can swap between Redeemer, Crusader, and Godhammer if I get round to get the sponsons. Have also magnetised the Razorback turret so I can change between TL LC, TL HB or TL AC.
      I have a large list of what I've magnetised, as I like to have options, even like the squad leaders, all their arms are magnetised, Land Speeder weapons, the list goes on!

Razor Cure -
      I figured the SG were all done...not expecting you to go into as much detail since it wouldnt be 'in progress'! Just some pics of their magnety limbs etc maybe?

You say the bond is stronger if the magnets actually touch..does that mean they DO bond, even if there is literally no physical join..ie..near enough?

Also, with the weapons/bits that have cables/wires etc, I am sure you thought or tried it but.. couldnt you just have magnets in the backpack/back torso and leave the hoses unglued (but obviously one end still attached to whichever bit). I am assuming that just wont work for some reason?

I was also considering another use for the magnets..as painting aids..using a magnet in the aim, gun whatever..attached to another magnet glued to a pen or whatever, to hold. I have been doing that with super glue (so it dries brittle, then you just snap the join after). But I imagine it would be much cleaner with magnets, especially since your using them to fix the arms to the body anyway.

Wookie2012 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Razor Cure View Post
      I figured the SG were all done...not expecting you to go into as much detail since it wouldnt be 'in progress'! Just some pics of their magnety limbs etc maybe?

You say the bond is stronger if the magnets actually touch..does that mean they DO bond, even if there is literally no physical join..ie..near enough?

Also, with the weapons/bits that have cables/wires etc, I am sure you thought or tried it but.. couldnt you just have magnets in the backpack/back torso and leave the hoses unglued (but obviously one end still attached to whichever bit). I am assuming that just wont work for some reason?

I was also considering another use for the magnets..as painting aids..using a magnet in the aim, gun whatever..attached to another magnet glued to a pen or whatever, to hold. I have been doing that with super glue (so it dries brittle, then you just snap the join after). But I imagine it would be much cleaner with magnets, especially since your using them to fix the arms to the body anyway.
      I have asked the mods to publish my SG article. Still managed to get some decent detail in I think, it's more straight forward than these guys anyway.

Magnets do bond if they are not touching yes, depending on the distance it is still quite strong too, but if they touch they 'snap' together and is alot stronger. Alot of my older magnetised models do not touch and still work fine.

I have thought about the cables yeah, but on Centurions each weapon/weapon pose requires a different hose/cable. I'd have to drill each hose on both ends, plus then drill each weapon and the back and the rear torso.It probably will work, but I spent hours doing all the magnetising, and frankly I got bored! I'm happy with how it looks without the hoses. Afterall, why could the hoses not be self contained in the armour? It is an exoskeleton afterall.

Your idea... I don't see why that wouldn't work. When it comes to painting I'm a bit of an oaf though, and just hold the bits with my sausage fingers!
      I see alot of people use cork and a pin, so the pin sticks out of the cork and then into the piece you want to paint holding it up.

edit: If you were talking about cable/hose to the backpack of the heavy flamer then see said SG article. When I magnetised mine (I used one of those massive shoulderguards with the kind of lip thing that protects their neck too). I think it made the backpack not sit correctly, so when the HF and backpack were on the model, the hose connections were about 3-4mm apart, but I came up with a nice solution

Razor Cure -
      Quote Originally Posted by Wookie2012 View Post

I have thought about the cables yeah, but on Centurions each weapon/weapon pose requires a different hose/cable...
      Yep..I was with you there..I meant for things like devestators etc..I agree the centy cables can be inbuilt or whatever

And yep..have used a cork/pin myself. Well, I lie..I havent. But close enough. Also holding them, but I find my fingers sweat a bit under the lamp I use (the lights in my room suck, hence the lamp) which the paint doesnt like..

I do like the ideas of magnets on a figure with a heap of extras though..like the Chaos termy lord I just did. Although..then I might not have been able to put together the 2nd one I made from all the extras!

Would those magnets (1 of them..or 1 pair I mean) hold something like..the Daemon Prince arms?

Wookie2012 -
      I haven't actually tried magnetising Devastators yet. One, because I made a squad of devs about 1 month into playing (before I magnetised) and two, I have about 6 of each heavy weapon waiting to be painted, so all Heavy weapons should be covered, although I rarely use Devastators anyway.

Magnets are wonderful. All my squad sergeants have access to all hand weapons/pistols etc. Belial can use all 3 weapon set ups he is allowed. My Landspeeders can have all weapons that come in the box (working on Tornado pattern MM and HB!)

Depends on the weight. I've never even touched a Daemon Prince so couldn't tell you. You could always buy larger magnets. My Dreadnoughts have 8mm magnets holding their arms on, and they are solid! As for your Chaos Terminator Lord, all my Deathwing are magnetised using 3mm magnets and they hold fine.

I have actually magnetised a couple of Lead pieces too. I have an old Lead Attack bike, have put magnets on Heavy weapons so I can swap them out. Holds ok with a 3mm magnet, but I wouldn't throw it about!

Maybe I'll make a blog about all my magnetising to inspire people

Razor Cure -
      Sounds like an attractive idea! (get it?! )

Beeva -
      I've magnetized a Carnefex before, which is similar to a Daemon Prince. I used 3mm magnets and he gets a bit droopy.

I'd go with bigger, 5mm may be ok but basically go with as big as will fit in the arm sockets for stability.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Today’s Posts | Search Warvault Webring
    An exclusive design by: ForumSkin