• Magnetising Space Marine Sternguard Veterans

Following on from the Centurions, here is a guide for the 2013 Sternguard Veterans.
    It's rather handy being able to change your squad to have all manner of Heavy/Special weapons!
    This walk through also goes for any Tactical/Assault etc. They're all basically the same models. If you do choose to magnetise other squads then it means if you aren't fielding your Sternguard then sergeants etc can be given combi weapons.

A few notes:
    Make sure your double check your magnets are the correct way around before glueing.
    Make sure all the weapons/Arms have the same polarity facing outwards so that any model can use any weapon.
    This is a walk through that worked for me, you may find an easier/better way of doing it, if so, then do it!

What you will need:
    Hobby drill
    2mm and 3mm drill bit (this probably would work with just 3mm magnets should you not want to buy more)
    2mm and 3mm magnets (2mm from here :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1308734212...84.m1439.l2649 . The same shop also sells 3mm)
    Superglue (mine has a brush for easier application)
    Razorblade for seperating stuck magnets

I'll skip over constructing most of the vets as....well that's your job really.

Instructions:
    Setting the Marines up:
    This depends on your squad set up, but for now I'll be running 1xSergeant, 1x heavy weapon and 3x normal troopers

Normal marines:
    Do not glue at this point, but for the normal Marines, you need to set their arms up so that they are holding a weapon in both hands. Before you glue, for their right hand (the one holding the weapon grip), drill directly in the centre of the wrist with the 2mm drill.
    Glue in magnet then glue arms on and repeat for the other Marines. (make sure all 3 magnets have the same polarity facing outwards)
    In this photo you can see both Marines right arms have magnets inserted

Sergeant:
    Where his left arm should go, drill a 3mm hole (it will probably go through inside his torso, be careful not to tear up the plastic when this happens). Glue in a 3mm magnet.
    Use the 2mm drill and drill his wrist as with the normal marines and glue in a magnet (make sure the same polarity faces outwards)

For his left armed weapons (Power fist, Power sword, Chainsword) use a 3mm drill and drill in the centre of where his arm will meet the 3mm magnet placed in his torso, then glue a magnet in making sure that they are the opposite polarity to his torso.

Bolters/Combi weapons/Pistols weapons:
    line up the weapons wrist with the right handed wrists of your models you have already magnetised. It should be about dead centre, so drill the centre of the weapon wrists with a 2mm drill and then glue in magnets, making sure they are opposite polarity to the arms.

That is the normal marines completed. All weapons are interchangeable, woohoo!

Using the same technique for the Sergeant, you can then magnetise the rest of your army sergeants/Special weapon characters etc.

Heavy weapon Marine:
    This is slightly more labour intensive and mine is still a WIP which I will point out. Please read to the end before doing anything at this point
    Drill both sides of his torsos where the arms would go with a 3mm drill bit. Glue in magnets with the same polarity facing out as your sergeant (just for continuity)

Find both arms needed for both weapons.
    Use a 3mm drill bit and drill the arms where they would attach to torso (as with Sergeant) and insert magnets so they are the opposite polarity to torso magnets.

Glue together the Heavy Bolter and Heavy flamer with the supporting arms (so both arms are attached to weapon)

Remove the 'nub' from the back of the marine, where the backpack would slot on. Drill exactly where this was with a 3mm drill bit and insert magnet.
    The hole where this 'nub' would have gone on a backpack fits a 3mm magnet perfectly. Insert magnet so it is opposite polarity to back of Marine.

I did this for the Heavy bolter backpack but didn't for Heavy Flamer as the hoses did not much up when attached. If your hoses for your heavy flamer match up and you like this then happy days, you are finished! If they don't then continue on...

Locate Heavy flamer, remove the hoses from the rear of the weapon (shown with red line). Remove icon on front facing of weapon (red hatched circle)

Locate the smaller section of Heavy Flamer backpack (it comes in 2 sections). Remove hoses where shown with red line.

Once it's all cleaned up, you can then glue the backpack section onto Heavy Flamer.

At this point, you could leave it like that. I think this looks really cool, however if someone looks around the side of the flamer the backpack section doesn't match up. Use your imagination/skills and use some Greenstuff to fill it up and file it down to make it all flush and awesome looking.

That is all. Enjoy having your uber diverse army!
    Comments 6 Comments
      Miscreant -
      Nice tutorial and cool pics. Don't know why they're not showing up as pics on my machine, though? I have to click each attachment separately.

I bought a few bits for my DA vets and it looks like you might be in a position to answer this. Are the new marines even bigger again than the last lot? The bolters seem a wee bit bigger and the legs seem longer (but I bought some running legs so can't really tell).

Wookie2012 -
      eh, I have no idea why the pictures don't show up, they didn't in my previous post either, but I can't edit them as it's an article thread :/

Define new marines? I'm comparing the old tactical squad marine (pre -2013) with a 2013 Sternguard and they are the same size.

The Bolters seem the same size too. The box/Drum magazine might make them seem a little bigger?

Razor Cure -
      Very cool

Pics show for me..on Firefox.
      Did you magnet the head/torsos? Or just to much effort?

Architech -
      Quote Originally Posted by Miscreant View Post
      Nice tutorial and cool pics. Don't know why they're not showing up as pics on my machine, though? I have to click each attachment separately.
      Quote Originally Posted by Wookie2012 View Post
      eh, I have no idea why the pictures don't show up, they didn't in my previous post either, but I can't edit them as it's an article thread :/
      you're viewing them in the wrong place...see the disclaimer at the top about viewing in the article section and then everything will work out alright

Wookie2012 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Razor Cure View Post
      Very cool

Pics show for me..on Firefox.
      Did you magnet the head/torsos? Or just to much effort?
      Er, that's way too much effort! Why would I do that?

Thanks Architect, It's weird though because the previous Articles before mine, show pictures in forum mode.

qedof -
      Decent instructional exercise and cool pics. Don't know why they're not appearing as pics on my machine, however? I need to click every connection independently.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Today’s Posts | Search Warvault Webring
An exclusive design by: ForumSkin