Post Thanks / Like

Dark eldar VS Imperial Guards 1500

Good mornin'!
    I decided to give my Daemonhunters a break and went back to my old Dark Eldar force. I will be playing a 1500 points game against the new IG codex which is unknown to me. I would like some advice on what to use.

My opponent mostly field these units, but I don't know what he'll use this time:

1 or 2 platoon which he regroups in one big squad with a commissar
    1 unit of rattlings
    2 hellhound
    1 or 2 leman russ/punisher/basilisk
    1-2 chimera
    1 Valkyrie
    1 unit of Ogryns
    Some sentinels
    3 weapons platform

That is most of his force... in any case, I know that he uses lots of tanks of which I'm not afraid since I already won plenty of times against my buddy's tank company in the old edition.

I was thinking about this list:

1 Archon with agoniser/poison blades/combat drugs/shadow field/5 incubi and raider 315 pts
    3x 10 warriors with 2 dark lances 300 pts
    2x raider squads with splinter cannon/blaster/sybarite with agoniser and poison blades 362 pts
    2x 5 jetbikes with 2x blasters 290 pts
    2 ravagers 230 pts
    Total: 1497 points

I'm not sure about the incubis squad since they could die easily with a single tank shell... so anyway any advice could be very helpful!
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dark eldar VS Imperial Guards 1500

Originally Posted by Naz The Eternal
    1 Archon with agoniser/poison blades/combat drugs/shadow field/5 incubi and raider 315 pts
    I would drop the incubi and just take warriors with the lord. Why do you have poison blades AND an agonizer? You can't combine the 2 weapons so that you wound on 2+ and ignore armour saves.

3x 10 warriors with 2 dark lances 300 pts
    I'd throw some extra warriors in these squads because 30 guardsmen can inflict alot of wounds and then you have to designate saves on the dark lance guys
    2x raider squads with splinter cannon/blaster/sybarite with agoniser and poison blades 362 pts
    Poison blades and agoniser question again
    2x 5 jetbikes with 2x blasters 290 pts
    2 ravagers 230 pts
    Total: 1497 points

I'm not sure about the incubis squad since they could die easily with a single tank shell... so anyway any advice could be very helpful!
    Thanks!
    The incubi squad is a big point sink that will probably draw alot of fire. I almost forgot that you will need plasma grenades for some of your squads since IG will just sit in cover.

Beware the Alien, the Mutant, the Heretic!
    "who runs Batertown? ..."
    For Tau!
    1 railgun per 500pts of Tau.

"I kan fire da weapons cause da truk is a FAST vehicle.... and itz gots da red kuller so it goes EXTRA FAST!!. And lastly I bigger dan you so ork kulture sayz I da boss and I say my boyz can fire at cruisin' speed!!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

In fact, I took them both so I had more options on which one I would use. I also thought that poisoned blades could do well against IG since it wounds on 2+ and they have a really poor save..but that is my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Taking it for more options is fine. Do you still get +1 attack for 2 single handed weapons? If so then this combo isn't too bad.
    I would do this in more of an all rounder list when you don't know if your opponents gonna slap down a Monsterous creature or stuff with invulnerables.

Since your against IG I would suggest you take a punisher weapon + helm so that you have strength 4 and wound on 3's(except the ogryns). And since you have combat drugs you just add +1 strength so your wounding on two's and its power.
    I would do this for your Lord. And on the syrabrites kinda optional.

For Tau!

"I kan fire da weapons cause da truk is a FAST vehicle.... and itz gots da red kuller so it goes EXTRA FAST!!. And lastly I bigger dan you so ork kulture sayz I da boss and I say my boyz can fire at cruisin' speed!!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by The_Peacemaker
    Taking it for more options is fine. Do you still get +1 attack for 2 single handed weapons? If so then this combo isn't too bad.
    Interesting question. You don't get the +1A if using the Poison Blades for the 2+, but it looks like the Poison Blades count as an additional weapon if attacking with the Agoniser.

The above post does not reflect the views of the Admin or staff of 40kforums.com, nor any affiliated entities. Any apparent flaming, trolling, spamming, necromancy, stalking, plagiarism, or eructating is the sole responsibility of the above wench, and any complaints should be addressed accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Poison blades still allow a save, so you end up with a 5/9 chance to cause a wound on an IG per attack, not counting chance to hit. The agoniser is a strait up 1/2. (10/18 vs 9/1. The agoniser gets an additional attack.

With comabt drugs (re rolls to hit and +1 attack) an archon has 6 attacks on the charge with an agoniser. Averages 2.66 wounds. Poison blades gets 5 attacks, averages 2.46 wounds. Thats vs IG. The agoniser gets better as the opponents save gets better. Poison blades are only of any benefet if the opponent has an invulnerable save that is the same as their regular save. (i think) or has a save of 6+ or worse.

Interesting thing is that the agoniser can glance a vehicle on a roll of 6. That was cool in 3rd ed, but in 5th edition with cc attacks hitting the rear armour of a tank, a s5 archon with a punisher can actualy penetrate the rear armour of most things.

No! Now quit asking.

Post Thanks / Like

My Lord has a full squad of 7 Incubi + Drahzar + Incubi Master mounted on a raider, I slam the whole squad into the opposing command squad first turn if I can manage it and then go from there. Use your warriors with dark lances and your raiders with dark lances to take out tanks.
    Talos are a great way to draw enemy fire and survive to get into CC, Ravagers with Dark Lances are great against tanks. You do not want Guard to shoot at anything on your side, get into CC as soon as you can give an agoniser to each model that can take it along with combat drugs except incubi master.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by k_orr
    Poison blades still allow a save, so you end up with a 5/9 chance to cause a wound on an IG per attack, not counting chance to hit. The agoniser is a strait up 1/2. (10/18 vs 9/1. The agoniser gets an additional attack.

With comabt drugs (re rolls to hit and +1 attack) an archon has 6 attacks on the charge with an agoniser. Averages 2.66 wounds. Poison blades gets 5 attacks, averages 2.46 wounds. Thats vs IG. The agoniser gets better as the opponents save gets better. Poison blades are only of any benefet if the opponent has an invulnerable save that is the same as their regular save. (i think) or has a save of 6+ or worse.

Interesting thing is that the agoniser can glance a vehicle on a roll of 6. That was cool in 3rd ed, but in 5th edition with cc attacks hitting the rear armour of a tank, a s5 archon with a punisher can actualy penetrate the rear armour of most things.
    I think obviously the Agonizer is better than the Poison blades. But the poison blades are only an extra 5pts and it looks like the agonizer gets the +1attack. Since there are a number of enemy lords with an Invulnerable save - SM storm shields, Eldar farseers, Ork Cyborks, etc.... This isn't that bad of a combo if you want something a little different/unique for your lord.

The Punisher + helm is a great combo too, I'm just wary of taking wounds from combat drugs cause you do need the strength bonus.

For tanks I just rely on the Haywire grenades. Against Dreadnoughts the agonizer is pretty good.

Kyng: what extra wargear do you give your incubi master? or do you just take him for the extra attack?

For Tau!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by The_Peacemaker
    Kyng: what extra wargear do you give your incubi master? or do you just take him for the extra attack?
    I give my incubi master combat drugs and webway portal, somtimes a mask too.

Post Thanks / Like

I think getting combat drugs for single wound models is a horrible waste of points.

Dark eldar dont get grenades on their units of warriors, so it wouldnt hurt to use somthing like a raider with a horrorfex or bikes with a succubus with a terror fex to pin down units in cover. With the 5th ed blast rules the negative modifier you could apply to a unit's leadership would be rediculous.

No! Now quit asking.

Post Thanks / Like

since posion weapons disallow the 2 CC bonus attack an agonizer is the better bet for the lord, but at 15 more points then posion weapons it is not as worth it for your raider squads. might i sugest hamoculi over the archon incubi squad. up to 6 characters spread through out your raider squads, and scissorhands (posion weapons no draw backs). spread out your damage and gernades to kill max numbers of units at 1 time.