Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20980_1_8348bc.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	27350
    It might be 1893 and the modern world may in full-swing, but cowboy Gustav "Old Red" Amlingmeyer is an old-fashioned kind of guy: he prefers a long trail ride even when a train could get him where he's going in one-tenth the time. His brother Otto ("Big Red"), on the other hand, wouldn't mind climbing down from his horse and onto a train once in a while if it'll give his saddle-sore rear end a rest. So when it's Old Red who insists they sign on to protect the luxurious Pacific Express, despite a generations-old Amlingmeyer family distrust of the farm-stealin', cattle-killin', money-grubbin' railroads, Big Red is flummoxed. But Old Red, tired of the cowpoke life, wants to take a stab at professional ‘detectifying' just like his hero, Sherlock Holmes and guard jobs for the railroad are the only ones on offer.

So it is that Big Red and Old Red find themselves trapped on a thousand tons of steam-driven steel, summiting the Sierras en route to San Francisco with a crafty gang of outlaws somewhere around the next bend, a baggage car jam-packed with deadly secrets, and a vicious killer hidden somewhere amongst the colorful passengers.

On the Wrong Track, Old Red and Big Red's much anticipated return, is filled with all of the wit, flavor, humor, and suspense that made Hockensmith's debut, Holmes on the Range, so beloved by critics and fans alike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Name:	9781400176052.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	27357
    In the summer of 1893, Gustav "Old Red" Amlingmeyer and his brother Otto (a.k.a. "Big Red") find themselves down and out in San Francisco. Though cowpokes by training, the brothers are devotees of the late, great Sherlock Holmes and his trademark method of "deducifying." But when they set out to land jobs as professional detectives, they land themselves in hot water, instead.

First their friend Dr. Chan mysteriously takes a potshot at them, fatally wounding Big Red's new hat. Then a secretive young woman from their past pops up and convinces them that Chan's in trouble -- and they're just the men to get him out of it. Unfortunately, they're too late: By the time they track Chan down again, he's dead. The police call it a suicide. Old Red calls that a lie. When he and his brother set out to prove it, they put themselves on a collision course with shady S.F.P.D. cops, brutal Barbary Coast hoodlums and the deadly Chinatown tongs.

Before long, all sides are in a race to uncover the secret that could rock the city. And their only clue to what's actually going on is the enigmatic, exotic and extremely difficult to find "Black Dove."

Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished Archaon: Everchosen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Name:  The-Confessions-of-Young-Nero-2913148.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  13.7 KB

The New York Times bestselling and legendary author of Helen of Troy and Elizabeth I now turns her gaze on Emperor Nero, one of the most notorious and misunderstood figures in history.

Built on the backs of those who fell before it, Julius Caesar’s imperial dynasty is only as strong as the next person who seeks to control it. In the Roman Empire no one is safe from the sting of betrayal: man, woman—or child.

As a boy, Nero’s royal heritage becomes a threat to his very life, first when the mad emperor Caligula tries to drown him, then when his great aunt attempts to secure her own son’s inheritance. Faced with shocking acts of treachery, young Nero is dealt a harsh lesson: it is better to be cruel than dead.

While Nero idealizes the artistic and athletic principles of Greece, his very survival rests on his ability to navigate the sea of vipers that is Rome. The most lethal of all is his own mother, a cold-blooded woman whose singular goal is to control the empire. With cunning and poison, the obstacles fall one by one. But as Agrippina’s machinations earn her son a title he is both tempted and terrified to assume, Nero’s determination to escape her thrall will shape him into the man he was fated to become—an Emperor who became legendary.

With impeccable research and captivating prose, The Confessions of Young Nero is the story of a boy’s ruthless ascension to the throne. Detailing his journey from innocent youth to infamous ruler, it is an epic tale of the lengths to which man will go in the ultimate quest for power and survival.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie, which I am greatly enjoying! I'm sure I'll end up reading the whole trilogy after this.
    I also read The Black Company by Glen Cook which was really good, and is apparently now being adapted into a TV show.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heldenhammer: The Legend of Sigmar

Bacon Fondler Psychedelic Lictor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Priest by Matt Colville

Ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken; a lifetime's commitment for a pig.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Neutronium Alchemist by Peter F Hamilton.

Lampguard of the mighty Spatulatula
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encompasses the world" - Albert Einstein

DrakonTheNightLord: This fucking post... priceless

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Psychedelic Lictor View Post
    Priest by Matt Colville
    Let me know how this one is. I've been curious.

- Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. -

Me: "Moon of my Life."
    Sneggy: "Say it in Dothraki or don't bother at all."

Architech: "You ARE more prone to kill fictional characters than me. On the spectrum you're George RR Martin and I'm Seuss"

BAH! Gaming Tabletop Podcasts
    Formerly Silas

Bacon Fondler Psychedelic Lictor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Solus View Post
    Let me know how this one is. I've been curious.
    So far so good for me. I believe as I've just got it recently this is the second version after he sent it to the professional editor but couldn't tell you what it was like before. He pitched it as a ptsd figjter who doesn't want to fight anymore but keeps getting dragged into fights, and you get that vibe right from the off. A friend blasted through both books (and is impatiently awaiting the third) recommended it and so far happy he did.

Only slight weirdness at first was a touch of the Morgan Freemans. I've seen most of his youtube videos so while reading in the beginning, had his voice monologuing it all, which was a first.

Ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken; a lifetime's commitment for a pig.

11. Thanks Solus thanked for this post.
    Rolling an 18 DrakonTheNightLord's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT to get to the part with the girl with the tentacles.

Bear Island knows no Kim but the Kim in the North, whose name is Jong Un.

13. Like Solus liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    So i had to stop reading Neutronium Alchemist as the ebook I had was...dodgy (pretty badly crashed my kindle) so I switched to Pandora's Star also by Hamilton with a brief interlude to reread The Martian by Andy Weir because it's even better than the film (and the film is pretty great imo).

Lampguard of the mighty Spatulatula
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encompasses the world" - Albert Einstein

DrakonTheNightLord: This fucking post... priceless

Rolling an 18 DrakonTheNightLord's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bear Island knows no Kim but the Kim in the North, whose name is Jong Un.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Name:	cvr9781439171578_9781439171578_hr.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	439.4 KB 
ID:	27544
    Today’s #1 New York Times bestselling thriller writers agree: Ryan Brown’s compulsively readable first novel is unbeatable—a darkly humorous, rich and pungent zombie shocker that melds our national obsession with football and the newest wave of fascination with the undead.

For the first time in Killington High School history, the Jackrabbits football team is one win away from the district championship where it will face its most vicious rival, the Elmwood Heights Badgers. On the way to the game, the Jackrabbits’s bus plunges into a river, killing every player except for bad-boy quarterback Cole Logan who is certain the crash was no accident—given that Cole himself was severely injured in a brutal attack by three ski-masked men earlier that day. Bent on payback, Cole turns to a mysterious fan skilled in black magic to resurrect his teammates. But unless the undead Jackrabbits defeat their murderous rival on the field, the team is destined for hell. In a desperate race against time, with only his coach’s clever daughter, Savannah Hickman, to assist him, Cole must lead his zombie team to victory

. . . in a final showdown where the stakes aren’t just life or death—but damnation or salvation. Boundlessly imaginative and thrillingly satisfying, Play Dead gives small-town Texas an electrifying jolt of the supernatural, and is unquestioningly The Zombie Novel of the Year!

The Comeback Story of the Season . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Name:	TANTORAlteredCarbon500.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	27548
    In the twenty-fifth century, humankind has spread throughout the galaxy, monitored by the watchful eye of the U.N. While divisions in race, religion, and class still exist, advances in technology have redefined life itself. Now, assuming one can afford the expensive procedure, a person's consciousness can be stored in a cortical stack at the base of the brain and easily downloaded into a new body (or "sleeve") making death nothing more than a minor blip on a screen. Ex-U.N. envoy Takeshi Kovacs has been killed before, but his last death was particularly painful. Dispatched one hundred eighty light-years from home, re-sleeved into a body in Bay City (formerly San Francisco, now with a rusted, dilapidated Golden Gate Bridge), Kovacs is thrown into the dark heart of a shady, far-reaching conspiracy that is vicious even by the standards of a society that treats "existence" as something that can be bought and sold. For Kovacs, the shell that blew a hole in his chest was only the beginning.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm currently working on the Iliad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Name:	y648.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	27549
    San Francisco. Summer, 1947. A dame walks into a saloon . . .

It’s not every afternoon that an enigmatic, comely blonde named Stilton (like the cheese) walks into the scruffy gin joint where Sammy "Two Toes" Tiffin tends bar. It’s love at first sight, but before Sammy can make his move, an Air Force general named Remy arrives with some urgent business. ’Cause when you need something done, Sammy is the guy to go to; he’s got the connections on the street.

Meanwhile, a suspicious flying object has been spotted up the Pacific coast in Washington State near Mount Rainer, followed by a mysterious plane crash in a distant patch of desert in New Mexico that goes by the name Roswell. But the real weirdness is happening on the streets of the City by the Bay.

When one of Sammy’s schemes goes south and the Cheese mysteriously vanishes, Sammy is forced to contend with his own dark secrets—and more than a few strange goings on—if he wants to find his girl.

Think Raymond Chandler meets Damon Runyon with more than a dash of Bugs Bunny and the Looney Tunes All Stars. It’s all very, very Noir. It’s all very, very Christopher Moore.