Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hordes: Legion of Everblight - Raek and Forsaken - 30/7/11

So it's been a while since I've played a game of 40k, instead focusing on WarmaHordes. I've built up quite a little force of Legion of Everblight for myself, but I'm yet to even begin painting them. The main problem being the paint scheme (If you don't know what I'm on about, basically imagine I've started Tyranids and need a paint scheme for them).

I did a test scheme on a Spinegaunt Anni had lying around and it didn't turn out that great...well it did for a Gaunt, but not the kind of thing I'm after-

Kommando Khaki basecoat
    Bleached Bone drybrush
    Bestial Brown armour
    Devlan Mud wash
    Gryphonne Sepia wash

It looks great, but it's also a really brown pallet and looks like it's been rolling around in mud, which is great for the dark and grim 40k, but not so much the mystical and fantastical Hordes. Basically, I'm looking for a light colour for the flesh, sort of like a pale pastel blue or brown (thus the Kommando Khaki start), then a darker colour for the armour, sort of like a turquoise/teal colour (thinking Hawk Turquoise for that). I also want it to look amazing, but I have little knowledge or experience on the synergy of paints. I also want to stick to Citadel paints, because I can get them easily and I'm used to them. I also don't want to do any mixing, I want to keep it straight out the pot.

Help please?

If the above post comes off with a negative tone, you're reading it wrong.

Spherically Challenging edmundblack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re: Paint Scheme Help

Got an example pic of the mini(s) in question you want doing? I'm pretty sure I could knock something up.

Grey Knights don't go to heaven: they go to hell and regroup.
    Cheaphammer 40p.
    Space Elves.
    sneggy: I feel both pleased and violated......
    Baragash: Inflation has nothing to do with GW's price increases unless WHW is actually a Zimbabwean embassy.
    Architech: I'm so proud that he's the only forum member with me quoted in his sig...

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, it's a whole collection of models They're look is fairly close to Tyranids though, with the main body and then armoured plates along the top of the head and back.

http://giftsforgeeks.org.uk/p/category/ ... verblight/

There's most the models in the army, but of course I don't have them all, but that's what they look like.

I know what scheme I want; Pale skin (thinking Kommandi Khaki) with Teal armour (thinking Hawk Turquoise). What I want help with is how to make it look amazing - What extra paints/washes I might need, in what order they go on etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, it will require you to sit down and paint them.

I know you can paint when you put your mind to it, so I'll try and make it as clear as possible (it would however be a lot easier to show you, but hey).

Kommando Khaki;-

This is the colour you want their skin to be, yes? I think it's perhaps a little dark for your purpose, however it should work OK as a starting point (you are after all talking about a tonal range, not a flat block colour). I'd consider experimenting with adding some Space Wolves Grey to it in small amounts and seeing what that does to it. I reckon it should make it bluer and at the same time lighten it up. By adding more SWG to the mixture and painting it on in a smaller area over the top of the previous colour, it should give you a nice highlighting effect when you're done. For the final highlighting of the skin, perhaps adding a touch of white to it will help as well.

For the armour, you want this?;-

I don't think these two will go together that well. What you could experiment with is having some bronze coloured armour and adding some verdigris wash to it (from Vallejo). Check out this work from my friend Lew;-

http://www.40kforoldmen.com/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=907

It's turquoise, but not as you know it.

That help?

Cheaphammer 40p.
    Space Elves.
    Baragash: Inflation has nothing to do with GW's price increases unless WHW is actually a Zimbabwean embassy.
    Architech: I'm so proud that he's the only forum member with me quoted in his sig...

Post Thanks / Like

Well they're both just base colours. The khaki can be lightened up with drybrushing of Bleached Bone or White or, as you said, SWG. What kind of wash should I use to add more depth and soften the drybrush? I was thinking Gryphonne Sepia, but Ogryn Flesh might work too. I was initially thinking Devlan Mud, but that didn't come out too well on the test mini I did.

The Turquoise I think will go, especially after the khaki has been lightened up, the turquoise will also need some work. I was initially thinking of drybrushing SWG over it and then washing it with the blue wash GW do.

What do you think? This is all just guesswork and conjecture on my part as I'm not really sure what effect any of what I've just said will have. In keeping with the turquoise armour, what do you think would be a better colour for the flesh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, typically, colours opposite to each other on the colour wheel are those which compliment one another.

http://www.ficml.org/jemimap/style/color/wheel.html

Have a play with that, see what you like. Colours directly next to each other also work well side by side.

Personally I'd try to not rely on the washes too much as they end up looking like they've been covered in a wash (if you know what I mean).

Your best bet would be to have a go at one, see how it comes out. If you are dead set on your colour scheme, go for it - have a play and have fun with it.

Cheaphammer 40p.
    Space Elves.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay okay, from another angle, individually, how can I improve each part. In addition to the Khaki base, how can I improve the flesh? In addition to the Turquoise base, how can I improve the armour?

I know the basics of the colour wheel and what goes together, but I'm not exactly trying to make it look all pleasing to the eye, so the combination I have I like (khaki/turquoise), but I'm still none-the-wiser on how I can improve them separately.

I also don't want to omit the use of washes completely, because they soften the paint job. A model with just some paint slapped on can look sloppy and horrible, a model with a lighter colour drybrushed on top can end up just looking dusty. Washes tone down both of those and can make the model look vastly improved. My issue comes with what washes would work best for that end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd steer clear from dry brushing if at all possible then. If take one of those colours and apply it as your base, then proceed to lighten it up to almost white in ever decreasing amounts and then apply the wash, that should make your paintwork look a lot smoother.

Does that make sense?

Cheaphammer 40p.
    Space Elves.

Post Thanks / Like

Right, after some tinkering, I think I've come up with it.

Flesh - Space Wolf Grey, Badab Black wash, Skull White drybrush
    Armour - Hawk Turquoise, either Thraka Green wash for colour boost or Badab Black wash for detail/depth..or I might just leave it at Hawk Turquoise...Or maybe just add some light drybrushing of SWG...xD I'm not really sure on the armour still.

I've got a messy test spinegaunt and it looks about as close as I think I'm gonna get to the colour scheme I want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Got pics? If you like it and are happy with it, go for it.

Cheaphammer 40p.
    Space Elves.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, here's a Shredder I've made a start on.

Space Wolf Grey base, Skull White drybrush, Hawk Turquoise, Bleached Bone, Dwarf Flesh details;

[attachment=2:pb66cimf]DSC_0045.JPEG[/attachment:pb66cimf]
    [attachment=1:pb66cimf]DSC_0046.JPEG[/attachment:pb66cimf]
    [attachment=0:pb66cimf]DSC_0047.JPEG[/attachment:pb66cimf]

What should I do now?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Legion of Everblight - Shredder WIP

Looks pretty nice, although the model reminds me of a cross between a squig and a velociraptor

Originally Posted by Rifleman Lizard
    So i told him if he didn't fuck off I'd steal his new leg and lock the moron in the washing room.
    Zho Sahaal : I would so be a homogaunt
    Scythes : Some people are like Slinkies. . . completely useless, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd be tempted to get a wash over the main pale area to get some depth to it: it's looking a little flat at the moment, and a wash would really get the details nicely. Perhaps some slightly watered down Asurman Blue might work? The dwarf flesh areas could do with something too, so maybe add some white to some DF and paint it on the highest areas and then try a Gryphonne Sepia wash.

Cheaphammer 40p.
    Space Elves.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by edmundblack
    I'd be tempted to get a wash over the main pale area to get some depth to it: it's looking a little flat at the moment, and a wash would really get the details nicely. Perhaps some slightly watered down Asurman Blue might work? The dwarf flesh areas could do with something too, so maybe add some white to some DF and paint it on the highest areas and then try a Gryphonne Sepia wash.
    Yeah, I knew it looked flat and needed a wash, but I didn't want to add a wash until I got some feedback, through fear of ruining it. I was also thinking of giving the Bleached Bone parts a White Drybrush just to bring it out a bit.

As for the wash, do you think a Badab Black would work? I don't want to use Asurman Blue because I don't have it and I don't want the blue to be enhanced too much. If I go Badab Black, should I just keep it to the flesh, or extend it to the armour a bit too?

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good so far, I like it...
    Keep it up.

What life means to us is determined not so
    much by what life brings to us as by the attitude
    we bring to life; not so much by what happens to
    us as by our reaction to what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Originally Posted by PyroSikTh
    Originally Posted by edmundblack
    Yeah, I knew it looked flat and needed a wash, but I didn't want to add a wash until I got some feedback, through fear of ruining it. I was also thinking of giving the Bleached Bone parts a White Drybrush just to bring it out a bit.

As for the wash, do you think a Badab Black would work? I don't want to use Asurman Blue because I don't have it and I don't want the blue to be enhanced too much. If I go Badab Black, should I just keep it to the flesh, or extend it to the armour a bit too?
    It's metal, yes? In which case, whatever you do it, you can always strip it or go over it. Yes, it's annoying, but it's part of painting. Give the black a go - if you don't like it, go over it and try something else. A thin wash to start with would be better perhaps and see how it turns out.

Cheaphammer 40p.
    Space Elves.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I drybrushed some white on the claws and teeth and washed them with Devlan. They look perfect.

I then went out and bought some Asurman so that I could lightly wash over with a mix of water...something tells me I need some practice. It looks all right, but not as fantastic as I might've hoped...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, the teeth and claws are looking much better: that extra depth really helps them. As for the skin, perhaps another dry brushing with a light colour and a wash with Asurman Blue might help? Once you get your recipe, you'll be good to go for the rest, the first one is normally the trickiest.

Cheaphammer 40p.
    Space Elves.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no way I'm drybrushing that model, it'll completely ruin the little bits of armour plates. I'm not going to do anything serious in the range for a while, so I can practice how i apply the wash...

Post Thanks / Like

Okay guys, I've added paint the rim of the base of that Shredder and got a second one to that stage, as well as this Harrier;