Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Video games now...

I don't really like anymore.

It seems now video games are just about graphics and online gameplay. Well online gameplay is fun, but I feel that videos games now focus so much on those things, that they lack in some really important stuff: Singeplayer campaign: the Story, the Drama, the Music, the Immersive worlds that are created in Single player. Example: Half Life 2. Whenever I was at highway 17 or Wtaer Hazard, i'd spend so much time just exploring the Beautiful world they created. Call of Duty 2: Big Red One, will always be my favorite of the Series, because the story in single player was so immersive and well done. Medal of Honor: frontline, I will treasure that over Call Of Duty anytime, just for the Music that Michael Giachinno Composed for the missions. The music really would set the theme for what you were doing, and moved me while I was playing. halo, the Music and Story was grea, martin 'O Donnel is one of my Favorite composers.

Personally, I think Video Games need to lay off of multi-layer for a while and go back to the Basics, the reasons why we loved video games so much to begin with, the story, the Characthers, the music. Just my thoughts, yours?

YOU HAS MY COW! I ARE GOD OF TEH COWS, I HAS TEH COW POWAH!!
    Tom206: Oh don't worry, cow is all knowing. and sexy.
    Rifleman Lizard: I love you too, Mr Cow.
    Jinxie: Cow's moustache and beard make me want to stroke him.
    I are Pvt Phenophthalein, Fear meh, I are A Danish Speese Mareen!
    I HAZ BLOG!

Not as fat as advertised Thatfatguy's Avatar
    Pitsea, Essex, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video games now...

there are still some fantastic games out there.

Mass effect 2 comes to mind, number one too, beatuifully created worlds (especially number 1)

Oblivion and fallout as well, no online capability at all and yet some of the best games

When you get a job you don't complete your challenge, when you don't complete your challenge you get punished.

Damn you EB!

Post Thanks / Like

I p[ersonally just think that game Developers now, Need to think liek game Developers did 5-10 years ago. Now, all the games comign out are parts of series, that are just ot make money, all part of a cash cow, liek COD.

I HAZ BLOG!

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the same way. It's why I've really stopped buying new games- they're no longer satisfying. It's a new trend of all flash, no substance. The game's initial charm wears off quickly, and it turns into a test of how long you can stand the game before you place it back on your shelf. Assassin's Creed is probably one of the best examples of this- I couldn't get past 8 hours of gameplay before I took the game out, never to be touched again.

"I was FROZEN TODAY!!!"- Suburban Commando

Post Thanks / Like

Cow....I thought that......Last year.
    But now, There are plenty of games with amazing single player coming out, Like DoW 2. Great single player game. For example Thule returning as a kick ass mofo..... I HAVE RETURNED, MY BROTHERS! /Tyranid is stomped to death/
    Yes, The focus of that game is online, But I don't care, As the online is nowhere near as good as DoW in my opinion.

I had an argument, But left the pc for awhile and have forgotten it x) sorry..

http://dragcave.net/image/Gny8.gif
    Zombie King of 40kForums
    I am Irish and I am proud!
    Oldie thread? Goddammit, that's not what it is! It's a thread about my sexual conquest of margarine and infidelity to butter!-Tahaal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well believe it or not but i think gears of war 2 has a very impressive campaign in my opinion, (that and monster truck tanks! ) i thought it was very entertaining.

right now as far as immersion and great story telling goes, i would suggest the half life series, metro 2033, assassins creed series, fallout, and mass effect.

Just your Friendly neighborhood Mecha Weeaboo

EdmundBlack: My cock has ended the world. I'll put that on my cv.
    SourImplant: What's the name of that cantina you like with all the goofy shit on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?
    Coldfire: I get my balls ripped off and shoved into my eye sockets by a burley man who then makes a joke about me skullfucking myself.
    http://www.40kforums.com/vb/showthread.php/47082-Emerald-Knights-40k-fantasy-painting-blog

Post Thanks / Like

The problem isn't that the good games don't exist, it is that they aren't popular any more. The problem is that in the last few years being 'geeky' has become cool. Playing Call of Duty 6 is now something the quarter back on the highschool football team does in his spare time.

What is the problem with this? Most of these people are new converts to gaming. They don't want their games to be deep, they don't care about music, they don't care about being immersed in the world: That is still to geeky for them. They want a game with really pretty graphics so they can oogle at the badly AIed head they just blew off as it flies across the screen in slow-mo. They want a game that is simple, yet entertaining.

What does this lead to? The new Call of Duty games. 6 is 4 but with better graphics. But every bought it because, well, its the new cool thing to have. It added character creation in split screen which should have been there all along. The music is meh, the plot of those games is really nonexistent. The characters are utterly cardboard. It leads to their being a new football game every 6 months. It leads to EA and Activision pumping out shitty games that everyone buys and everyone thinks are good because everyone buys them.

Have heart, though. The good games are still being made. Mount & Blade is utterly amazing (And so impossibly hard you have to be hardcore to play it). Starcraft 2 should be great. Left 4 Dead was a lot of fun and it didn't even have single player. Mass Effect was brilliant. Between the few new games that are good, I remember that so incredibly many good games have come out in the last 20 years that I'll never get through them all and go torrent some 15 year old game that has to be freeware by now.

PP>GW

Post Thanks / Like

I think the inudstry has for the last while focused on making games that only really appeal to sex made male teens who loose their brains at the sight of a well shaped tit. I like the fact some games have been cleaned up, especially in the case of Lara Croft. Yet the rest of the industry, especially in role playing games is going down. I am feeling that in another few years I'll be at pen and paper only as I can't get the dark, mature stories I seek in electronic games.

That being said, it's an industry I want to work in, and have game concepts I work on when I can.

Call me CaptLeon, it's easier. I don't want to ruin the tendons in your hand from typing out my username.

The square of the number of factions or characters is a good guide to the number of serious design issues you will face in your concept.

Non solum.... sed etiam.

Moz: Yes, I have to agree with you there. Well said.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel a strong nostalgia disturbance in the force.

Lemme tell ya young fellows, back in MA days, video games were MUCH BETTER.

You're the only one who can hold your head up high
    Shake your fist at the gates saying
    I have come home now
    Fetch me the spirit, the son and the father
    Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended
    It's time now, my time now
    Give me my — give me my wings

Post Thanks / Like

As many others have stated, things like half life, mass effect, portal, left for dead, oblivion, and fallout are all great games. Each one, IMO, is set in a beautifully crafted world.

I also believe that a series of games is not a bad thing. Sure some series (mw2) do little to advance the genre/story. But look at half life. There are so many unanswered questions in the series. Cramming it all in one game would either take too long or produce a substandard product.

Could you name some of the games that you miss?

Originally Posted by Mephaine
    Pretty please with a heaping of Zawicki on top.
    Did it Just get classy in here?

Post Thanks / Like

homeworld
    Baldurs gate
    KotOR
    Total War
    Black and White

Each absolutely fantastic games
    Each with little or no emphasis on Online game play.

When you get a job you don't complete your challenge, when you don't complete your challenge you get punished.

Damn you EB!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by Thatfatguy
    homeworld
    Baldurs gate
    KotOR
    No arguments there.

Call me CaptLeon, it's easier. I don't want to ruin the tendons in your hand from typing out my username.

The square of the number of factions or characters is a good guide to the number of serious design issues you will face in your concept.

Non solum.... sed etiam.

Post Thanks / Like

My main issue with games now are the value for money...
    You only get out what, 6 hours of single-player in most games now???

That sounds a silly amount for the cost of new games.

... Actually makes Warhammer seem quite the 'money-saver' if you try to paint every model as best as poss.... >.>

Let's just live!
    Day by day,
    and not be conquered by our sorrows.
    The past can't hold us down.
    We must break free!

Post Thanks / Like

That's true...

Damn you EB!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with xhu, i mean, COD MW2 is $60 and you can beat it in what... 5 hours? that sure as hell ain't worth $60. i personally would love to see EA or Activision or Square Enix pump out a game that has all of the classic Attributes that made gamers fall in lvoe with video games: The story, the Music, the Charachters, the Awesome Beautiful worlds. I personally think, graphics have reached their peak. they're not going to get better than they are for another 10 years. So mayabe, somehwere in that period, Game Developers will start to create good, solid games like the ones we loved and adored 5-10 years ago.

I HAZ BLOG!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

homeworld
    Baldurs gate
    KotOR
    Total War
    Black and White

As far as i can tell, Total war does have a very good online play, and there has been in the more recent titles more emphasis on online, what with napoleons totalwar online drop in campaign battles.

Lemartes: you shouldn't have put the peanut butter on your balls then, tom.
    scythes: might not be a great idea to turn in a paper titled 'The Korean WAARRGGH!'
    Architech:Tom, No more crack (cocaine is a hell of a drug)
    ShadowSplicer: Tom is all knowing and wise, some cultures even accept him as their deity

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by isthatmycow
    Medal of Honor: frontline,
    "PATTERSON!"

Yeah, great memories there. Enemy AI unerring accuracy was annoying sometimes though.

GW does not hate non-Space Marine armies. They just don't give a FAQ.

This song is totally the Battle of Prospero:
    LanceWarrior: "1st rule of 40k forums rule-lawyering: Don't argue with Baragash"
    Yahtzee: "It's like owning a giant swiss-army knife with 500 different little blades and one folds out into a mini-gun. There is no reason to use anything else."
    Clicky in case of emergency

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by tom206
    homeworld
    Baldurs gate
    KotOR
    Total War
    Black and White

As far as i can tell, Total war does have a very good online play, and there has been in the more recent titles more emphasis on online, what with napoleons totalwar online drop in campaign battles.
    havn't played the new two due to computer problems, however I believe Rome is still seen as one of the best :p

Damn you EB!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by Xhukari
    My main issue with games now are the value for money...
    You only get out what, 6 hours of single-player in most games now???

That sounds a silly amount for the cost of new games.

... Actually makes Warhammer seem quite the 'money-saver' if you try to paint every model as best as poss.... >.>
    Said like that, that could almost get me back into the hobby, if not for CBT.

Grpahics has become the focus, and I feel will remain so for a while. Until games like Metro 2033 show that you can have a shiny game, and still have an excellent world with interesting characters, then there's not much you can really do. Metro 2033 was hopefully the first of a good few generations of games to come out of Eastern Europe that show the western market how good games can be, but also on that note, mature as well. While games like that come out perhaps once or twice a year, with a title like Witcher 2, the western market only gets tastes and the people grabbing our money, sorry, running the companies, think that can get away with it.

Compare the advertising of Dragon Age vs Witcher. One was a very mature game, the other claimed to be. I know which one I still own.

Finally, a picture which should show the state of the industry. If you care to check the number next to the Mass Effect at the bottom.

[attachment=0:3rjaeppl]Capture.jpg[/attachment:3rjaeppl]

Non solum.... sed etiam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Originally Posted by CaptLeonof153rdElysains
    Until games like Metro 2033 show that you can have a shiny game, and still have an excellent world with interesting characters, then there's not much you can really do. Metro 2033 was hopefully the first of a good few generations of games to come out of Eastern Europe that show the western market how good games can be, but also on that note, mature as well.
    Oh, QFT. i love alot of the stuff that comes out of eastern Europe, even if theres not much of it.

Lemartes: you shouldn't have put the peanut butter on your balls then, tom.
    scythes: might not be a great idea to turn in a paper titled 'The Korean WAARRGGH!'
    Architech:Tom, No more crack (cocaine is a hell of a drug)
    ShadowSplicer: Tom is all knowing and wise, some cultures even accept him as their deity