Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Ork tactics

    I've only played a few games of 40K but got ripped apart last night by Space Wolves in a small 500 pt skirmish. Blood Claws & Grey Wolves were not so much the problem, but I could do nothing against the ThunderWolf Cavalry

    I took;

    Big Mek w/KFF
    12 Boyz (inc. Nob w/Power Klaw) in a Trukk
    11 Boyz (inc. Nob w/Power Klaw) in a Battlewagon w/KillKannon

    The BIG problem I found was why I lost my other games, Initiative. Ork Initiative is terrible. On an Assault I end up losing all my Boyz before I get to attack. Actually it seems to have Initiative problems in any game I play.

    Anyway, this week I'm playing a 750 pt game. But it could be against Orks, Tau, Space Marines, Space Wolves, Chaos Demons or Necrons. So I'm not going to plan against a specific army, actually I don't want to anyway, I just want to focus on MY Orks.

    My idea is;

    Old Zogswort
    12 Boyz (inc. Nob w/Power Klaw) in a Trukk
    12 Boyz (inc. Nob w/Power Klaw) in a Trukk
    30 Boyz (inc. Nob w/Power Klaw and a Big Shoota)
    5 Lootas
    few points left over for Grots or Armour Plates etc.

    The idea is to waylay and weaken opponents with the two Trukk loads of Boys then I have 30 boys coming in behind them. Old Zogswort is there to Squiggy any nasty enemy HQs.

    Not sure if it's worth trading down the foot sloggin' 30 Boyz to 20 'Ard Boyz?
    Maybe drop the Lootas for a couple of Killa Kans?
    Or drop one Trukk with Boyz for Warbikers?

    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    CrazyDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ork tactics

    Ive been a happy ork for a few years now and in small games of 500/1k i use hoard myself, with a squad of 30 boys and a tooled up nob coming in at 225pts its hard to kill them all before they attack.

    Also, i never leave the fort without a big mek with a burna or a klawed boss leading the boyz, this really helps with killin the biguns.

    750pts

    105pts Warboss with eavy armour, klaw, bosspole and squig

    225pts 30 boyz with nob (klaw, eavy and bosspole)
    225pts 30 boyz with nob (klaw, eavy and bosspole)
    190pts 11 ard boyz with nob (klaw and bosspole) in red trukk (warboss goes in ere)

    42 orks are hard to deal with in small games

    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Rahveel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    3,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ork tactics

    Originally Posted by ugavine
    I've only played a few games of 40K but got ripped apart last night by Space Wolves in a small 500 pt skirmish. Blood Claws & Grey Wolves were not so much the problem, but I could do nothing against the ThunderWolf Cavalry
    first off, thunderwolves in a 500 point game is almost prickish. not a lot that can really be done against em at such a small value. also, what was this guy running? minimum squads of Grey hunters and blood claws? how many thunderwolves, and what was his HQ?

    Originally Posted by ugavine
    I took;

    Big Mek w/KFF
    12 Boyz (inc. Nob w/Power Klaw) in a Trukk
    11 Boyz (inc. Nob w/Power Klaw) in a Battlewagon w/KillKannon

    The BIG problem I found was why I lost my other games, Initiative. Ork Initiative is terrible. On an Assault I end up losing all my Boyz before I get to attack. Actually it seems to have Initiative problems in any game I play.
    the battlewagon was probably a bit of overkill, but a solid list. In any event, yes. ork Initiative is quite bad... it is absolutely critical that you get the assault for that all important furious charge and extra attacks. orks can accomplish this rather easily, as our transports are open toped (don't ever take a 'ard case on a transport) and we have the power of the waaagh! to draw on.

    however, even when we get the FC bonus, a large % of armies (especially marines) will still strike before us. fortunatly, generic marines are not to scary when charged, having only a single attack each. if they get more than one attack each, (assault marines, blood claws, ect..) be sure you are hitting them with multiple squads to ensure you have enough attacks left to take them down.


    Originally Posted by ugavine
    Anyway, this week I'm playing a 750 pt game. But it could be against Orks, Tau, Space Marines, Space Wolves, Chaos Demons or Necrons. So I'm not going to plan against a specific army, actually I don't want to anyway, I just want to focus on MY Orks.
    Good! you'll become a significantly better player if you learn to effectively utilize an 'all commers' list, and will thank yourself when you bring it to a tournament.


    Originally Posted by ugavine
    Old Zogswort
    12 Boyz (inc. Nob w/Power Klaw) in a Trukk
    12 Boyz (inc. Nob w/Power Klaw) in a Trukk
    30 Boyz (inc. Nob w/Power Klaw and a Big Shoota)
    5 Lootas
    few points left over for Grots or Armour Plates etc.

    The idea is to waylay and weaken opponents with the two Trukk loads of Boys then I have 30 boys coming in behind them. Old Zogswort is there to Squiggy any nasty enemy HQs.

    Not sure if it's worth trading down the foot sloggin' 30 Boyz to 20 'Ard Boyz?
    Maybe drop the Lootas for a couple of Killa Kans?
    Or drop one Trukk with Boyz for Warbikers?
    I like this list, it is really quite good. personally i have never used Zoggy, but he does look like fun. keep in mind though that space marine librarians, and space wolf rune priests are going to put a massive wrench in his battle plans. the rune priest x100, sine he will probably have a wolf tail talisman on his tasty looking HQ's. so, potentially Zogg needs to:

    -pass a psycic test
    -get past a 4+ to negate it (the hood/rune weapon)
    -get past another 5+ save (talisman)
    -actually pass the dice roll off with your opponent

    before he can turn someone into a squig. this leaves a lot to be desired imo, but it is a mater of having fun also! in my book, you cant go wrong with a KFF big mek, love that HQ. the KFF makes your trucks many many times more survivable, and effectively doubles your boyz save, letting ya get even more into the fray.

    lootas are fantastic, but 5 is a pretty small number to be taking, even at 750. they could do great still if they roll a decent number of shots consistently throughout the game, but some killa-kans might be more reliable (just keep them in a KFF bubble if you can)

    I strongly, strongly (i want to emphasize how big this in in my book, so imaging i typed 'strongly' like 30 times) do NOT advise dropping boyz for warbikes. EVER! nob bikers rock, but normal warbikes are absolutely terrible. if you own any, convert them into nob bikers. :p

    good luck, and make Gork an Mork proud!!

    Purging literary corectness since 1982.
    Originally Posted by Pox
    *Pox bounds into the thread and grants Rahveel 1/10th of his diseases, poxes, boils and pustules as a token of his loyalty to Papa Nurgle and turns him back into a nurgle sorceror to serve in my army of ruin.*
    RIP Rahveel
    Slain By Pornbots
    Easter 2008
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ork tactics

    Thanks for the advice guys, I will take it all on board.

    And as for the Space Wolf player, to be fair to him he was not being prickish at all, he wasn't scheduled to play but just had a few figures with him.

    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Rahveel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    3,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ork tactics

    Well, that seems fair then :p but ya, don't sweat that you had trouble dealing with thunderwolves at 500pts, can be really tough to deal with at any points level, but way more so in such small games.

    Purging literary corectness since 1982.
    Originally Posted by Pox
    *Pox bounds into the thread and grants Rahveel 1/10th of his diseases, poxes, boils and pustules as a token of his loyalty to Papa Nurgle and turns him back into a nurgle sorceror to serve in my army of ruin.*
    RIP Rahveel
    Slain By Pornbots
    Easter 2008
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ork tactics

    I've had a think about this weeks 750pt list and I think I'm going with the advice on Big Mek & Kans.

    Big Mek w/KFF
    12 Boyz (inc. Nob w/Power Klaw) in a Trukk
    12 Boyz (inc. Nob w/Power Klaw) in a Trukk
    26 Boyz (inc. Nob w/Power Klaw and a Big Shoota)
    5 Lootas
    2 Killa Kans (Big Shoota & Rokkits)

    I'll have Big Mek lead the foot sloggin' Boyz but keep the Kans close.
    I've had to reduce the Boyz to 26 to get the Kans in.
    I wanted to keep the 5 Lootas just to give me some extra random firepower - Dakka Dakka!

    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Forum Dildo King incubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,355
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Ork tactics

    Originally Posted by ugavine
    I've had a think about this weeks 750pt list and I think I'm going with the advice on Big Mek & Kans.

    Big Mek w/KFF
    12 Boyz (inc. Nob w/Power Klaw) in a Trukk
    12 Boyz (inc. Nob w/Power Klaw) in a Trukk
    26 Boyz (inc. Nob w/Power Klaw and a Big Shoota)
    5 Lootas
    2 Killa Kans (Big Shoota & Rokkits)

    I'll have Big Mek lead the foot sloggin' Boyz but keep the Kans close.
    I've had to reduce the Boyz to 26 to get the Kans in.
    I wanted to keep the 5 Lootas just to give me some extra random firepower - Dakka Dakka!
    Is the large mob a slugga or shoota one? If your going with sluggas and choppas I suggest dropping the big shoota, since you'll most likely be running in your shooting phase making the big shoota a waste of points, you could spend on say a bosspole for your nob. Additionally, I suggest finding the points to give your all you nobz a bosspole for that leadership reroll

    Otherwise, a good list imo Looking forward to hear about how it went

    Follow me on twitter: @CALelicious
    Raven Guard 890

    Originally Posted by daddy4count View Post
    Nothing warms my heart like a mob of 30 boyz tearing up space marines. Except maybe a mob of Nobz tearing up marines.

    Reply With Quote

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ork tactics

    Cheers for that advice, I'll do that.

    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    SourImplant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    45

    Re: Ork tactics

    All the Ork strategy you'll ever need to know:



    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Forum Dildo King incubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,355
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Ork tactics

    Originally Posted by SourImplant
    All the Ork strategy you'll ever need to know:

    And that's about all there is to it

    Follow me on twitter: @CALelicious
    Raven Guard 890

    Originally Posted by daddy4count View Post
    Nothing warms my heart like a mob of 30 boyz tearing up space marines. Except maybe a mob of Nobz tearing up marines.

    Reply With Quote

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ork tactics

    Brilliant

    Reply With Quote

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ork tactics

    Just an update on my 750pt game... I won!

    My Orks ended up fighting my mates Necrons, his first time using them. Despite being successful with several "We'll be Back" rolls I just overwhelmed him numbers and some good shooting. Really glad I kept with those Lootas.

    Next week I'm having another 750pt game, this time against Tau. I'm thinking of keeping the list similar but swapping out one Trukk of Boyz for 5 Warbikers. I just like Warbikers and I'll only be losing 2 Wounds but gaining 4+ saves - that and I just think they look cool.

    Reply With Quote

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ork tactics

    Well I had that 750pt game against Tau switching aTrukk for 5x Warbikers as I said.

    OMG, what a game.

    In the first two Turns I was winning the shooting battle. Yes, you heard that right, my Orks were out-shooting Tau!

    Things kind of fizzled out a bit though as the Tau leveled things up. It didn't help when one of my Killa Kans exploded and took 12 of my own Ork Boyz with it! Whoops! But I continued the charge and the Warbikers (just standard bikers) were solid.

    By the end of the game my opponent just had his tank left (which I failed to destroy despite my Lootas landing 4 penetrating attacks and he failed his cover saves) and his Battle Suit HQ which I was struggleing to touch.

    We were playing Unit kills. So 7 Turns, 3½ hours later and it was a draw. Great game

    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    SourImplant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    45

    Re: Ork tactics

    Sounds like that battle was a blast. Only thing I would recommend is to make sure the individual models in your mobs are spaced out a bit. With the full 2" coherency, it's unlikely 12 Boyz would have been hit by the exploding Kan. And being only a S3 blast from the explosion, I have to assume more than 12 Boyz were in range, but weren't wounded.

    Reply With Quote

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ork tactics

    Originally Posted by SourImplant
    Sounds like that battle was a blast. Only thing I would recommend is to make sure the individual models in your mobs are spaced out a bit. With the full 2" coherency, it's unlikely 12 Boyz would have been hit by the exploding Kan. And being only a S3 blast from the explosion, I have to assume more than 12 Boyz were in range, but weren't wounded.
    The Boys were squeezing through a gap in the terrain that turn and I'd kept them tight to get them forward. I know it's probably common to regular players but this was actually the first vehicle I've had explode, so it was something I hadn't even considered when moving my mob.

    Anyway, I'm not sure who I'm facing next week but I'm considering something a bit different and un-Orky. I'm going to field a Shoota army! I figure lots of Boys with Shootas; I've got to hit something and and my opponent can't make all his saves, surely?!

    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    SourImplant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    45

    Re: Ork tactics

    Originally Posted by ugavine
    Anyway, I'm not sure who I'm facing next week but I'm considering something a bit different and un-Orky. I'm going to field a Shoota army! I figure lots of Boys with Shootas; I've got to hit something and and my opponent can't make all his saves, surely?!
    That's the idea. A full mob of 30 Ork Boyz with shootas, three big shootas, and a Nob gives you 61 shots if you're within 12" (60 if within 18"). With your BS2, you can reasonably expect 20 shots to hit the mark, with 10 wounding against MEQ and three of those unsaved.

    Reply With Quote

  17. #17
    Noobsmiffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    I your mind.
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ork tactics

    I've often thought about this problem too... To chop or to dakka? I followed the theory that you need a bit of both for an all commers aproach: give the combat boyz some covering fire perhaps? Especially vs SM I find that if your combat boyz all die, then having a large mob of Shoota boyz hangin backa bit to shoot at em is good for clearing up the rest. Am I rite or rong here?

    1350 points orks

    Ork History:

    W:1 L:1 D:1

    If STAR WARS taught us anything, it's that fighting for the emperor is wrong... stupid ultrasmurfs
    Reply With Quote

  18. #18
    SourImplant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    45

    Re: Ork tactics

    Well, you could look at it as a three stage attack. Starting from 24" away and assuming a static target (which you won't have, but it makes the math easier), Shoota Boyz and Slugga Boyz perform differently.

    24" away, Shoota Boyz move 6" and fire. Each Ork fires two shots. Slugga Boyz move 6" and have no shot, so run 1-6".

    18" away, Shoota Boyz move 6" and fire. Each Ork fires two shots. Slugga Boyz move 6" and fire, with each Ork getting one shot, or call a Waaagh! and have a 1/6 chance of getting in assault range, which means they usually will not be in range. If you include Ghazghkull in your army, the Waaagh! is automatically 6" and they can assault, getting four attacks on the charge. Those guaranteed four attacks come at the cost of over 200 points for one HQ unit in your list.

    12" away, Shoota Boyz move 6" and fire, with each Ork getting two shots, then assault 6" with three attacks on the charge. Slugga Boyz move 6" and fire, with each Ork getting one shot, then assault 6" with four attacks on the charge.

    In this scenario, Shoota Boyz get nine attacks each between three rounds of shooting and the first round of assault. Slugga Boyz either get six attacks each between three rounds of shooting and the first round of assault, or have a 1/6 chance of getting into combat one turn sooner with four attacks between two rounds of not shooting and the first round of assault.

    Naturally, there are a ton of other variables that I haven't added into a quick and dirty equation, but that's the basic idea. Shoota Boyz get one less attack in close combat for a lot more chances to hurt the enemy throughout the game.

    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Today’s Posts | Search Warvault Webring
An exclusive design by: ForumSkin