Heavy Support: (345)
    Dreadnought, Assault Cannon, storm bolter = 115pt

Harder
    Better
    Faster
    Stronger
    "If one little rule change is going to make you rage then in you're in the wrong game!" "Zach of the Independent Characters"
    http://blood-claw.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are my likes and dislikes:

Likes: MotF w/Beamer, Riflemen Dreads in elites, Landspeeders with MM/HF

Dislikes: Dreads in a heavy slot with AC/DCCW, No Psy defense (Librarian), Captain doesn't fit the theme, Troop choices should be MM/Melta Bunkers since there is no reliable AV14 stoppers other than Landspeeders but a stiff breeze can knock them out.

If you are going to do the Dread Monster mash the best way to go is using 6 Iron Clads with standard format DCCW/Sesmic hammer and toss in Hunter killers. Nothing is nasty like 6 AV13 Dreads. Now fire support will be key so Melta Bunkers for troops, or some combat squaded tacticals with ML/Flamer transported in Razor with TL/Las or Las/plas.

You can also drop one dread in the elite take 10 TH/SS termies and a libby in termy armor with the telly psychic power (forgot the name). Have the 5 dreads march behind the termies and hold midfield. have the LS deep strike, and troops take odjectives the Dreads and termies clear out. Your fire support will be Troops in Razors, the melta bunker isn't needed with the amount of killy. Points will be the issue on this build.

Food for thought!

Peace is achieved thru Hostile take over

Fast Atack:
    Riding Lawn Mowers - Tank Shock attack does damage to all units it touches. Tends to have trouble turning tight corners. (Democratus view on a retiree Codex)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ironclads suck donkey balls - hard (out gunned by everyone, outmatched in assault with things worth punching).
    A more costly dreadnought, that only works at peak efficiency when it's in melta-range.
    Main problem is, of course, that this is an armoured vehicle that wants to rape things in combat. Yes, it's got armour 13, but meltaguns don't care if you're armour 10 or 14 - they will penetrate you, and AP1 will make you bleed. Since you're running into range of them, well - no.

Dreads in elites/Heavy type doesn't matter on its slot.

I know Las/plas backs are flavour of the month but Wolves and Angels do it soooooo much better. Combat squadding still leaves men on foot to be killed easily.

Multimeltas on the tac squads can swap in for the missiles easily as both are free.

Terminators don't fit the theme

Harder
    Better
    Faster
    Stronger
    "If one little rule change is going to make you rage then in you're in the wrong game!" "Zach of the Independent Characters"

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you fail to see synergies in armies as a whole, and instead focus on units as a single elements.

6 AV13 Dreads (which are easier to conceal than MC) is scary, but you have to have the right elements in place. Which I stated, but you are too focused on each unit as an individual to see the big picture.

The goal is to use the termies as the initial assault unit with the Ironclad's support. Nothing says BOOM like a combat squaded termies supported by Ironclads. Yeah sure you will lose a few on the way in, but thats fine cause you have troops in razors (Don't care about BA/SW doing it better, you can still do it with SM!) moving and shooting. Also you have deep striking MM with the LS to create a little shock and awe on the back side. You could even go as far as using attack bikes with MM, and hide the behind rhinos or the Ironclads and pop out to clean out transports.

Peace is achieved thru Hostile take over

Fast Atack:
    Riding Lawn Mowers - Tank Shock attack does damage to all units it touches. Tends to have trouble turning tight corners. (Democratus view on a retiree Codex)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    I guess you fail to see synergies in armies as a whole, and instead focus on units as a single elements..
    I take that as an Insult! How dare you treat me like a simple minded buffoon

I know how to build armies thank you and this one is themed.

Yes I could Razorback/MSU spam like everyone else, but that's not the theme - I would use my space wolves.

And if I really wanted to win I'd use my Imperial Guard.

Harder
    Better
    Faster
    Stronger

Post Thanks / Like
    Came in to stoke MC's ego

I like it. Target priority is bound to be trick as everything is extra painfull. I agree about Ironclads... the jump from 12 to 13 can be nice but generally isn't worth it on units that plan to get close. Then there's the million lances about to hit the tables.

The only thing that seems odd to me is the Command Squad (I don't play marines so maybe I'm just dumb here)... but ya gotta bring flamers somehow and HQ = expendable so there you go.

Listen up! What we need is this! Yes, calcium! If we have enough calcium, we can do anything! Trouble with tests? Fighting with your parents? Some girl you like? Odiferous nethers? If you have enough calcium, all of these can be solved!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well the command squad is an Indulgence as all other slots except Troops are filled and tactical squads aren't great at going forward and getting in the fight. The 1st version of this army had scouts instead of the 3rd tactical squad but they never did anything other than die.

Could always drop the assault cannons to multi meltas and use that 10-30pts to pimp up the command squad.

Harder
    Better
    Faster
    Stronger

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    I guess you fail to see synergies in armies as a whole, and instead focus on units as a single elements.

6 AV13 Dreads (which are easier to conceal than MC) is scary, but you have to have the right elements in place. Which I stated, but you are too focused on each unit as an individual to see the big picture.

I lol'd. Good luck getting them near to where you need them, anything that can kill them will do it from afar and then where will they be? Dreadnoughts are not game turning "Imma gunna mash you!" CC monsters like MCs are, they are support platforms to fill those gaps which tactical Marines cannot fulfil. Ironclads are one-hit-wonders, whereas the Dreads MC wants to use are great all rounder support units. Not game breaking/turning, but effective nevertheless when combined with other units.

The goal is to use the termies as the initial assault unit with the Ironclad's support. Nothing says BOOM like a combat squaded termies supported by Ironclads. Yeah sure you will lose a few on the way in, but thats fine cause you have troops in razors (Don't care about BA/SW doing it better, you can still do it with SM!) moving and shooting. Also you have deep striking MM with the LS to create a little shock and awe on the back side. You could even go as far as using attack bikes with MM, and hide the behind rhinos or the Ironclads and pop out to clean out transports.
    Whilst this is sound, it's not how I'd roll and it's not how MC rolls. If it's how you roll, fair enough.

This army is a shooty Marine army, pure and simple. If (when) it gets down and dirty in CC, there's elements there which can take it on but it's not the principle aim. In a game where many choices want to get to CC as soon as possible, I find it extremely practical to blow the living daylights out of them before they get near and then mop up the remnants.

As for the Command Squad, any Marine army that doesn't have one is doing it wrong in my book. Like Sternguard, there's a unit which is too good not to have. If they are just going to Pilbox it in the Rhino, I'd leave them how they are - the opponent will be too bothered about the wall of AV12 stomping them to take much notice of a mere Rhino.

I like this list, I think it'd be great fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by MC Tic Tac View Post
    I could always drop the assault cannons to multi meltas and use that 10-30pts to pimp up the command squad.
    I don't think it'd be worth it. As is you've already got 3 multis and a conversion beamer, so I'd keep the long-range torrent going.

Listen up! What we need is this! Yes, calcium! If we have enough calcium, we can do anything! Trouble with tests? Fighting with your parents? Some girl you like? Odiferous nethers? If you have enough calcium, all of these can be solved!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You will have fun with this list; and it will be more than a handful for most foes.

Problems? Lets see... the MotF might die quickly if he deploys as the sole 'soft' target. If you go and collect 6 Dreadnoughts you may get caught out by a future codex where you can only have 3 or 4.

Player of WH40,000, WHFB, Unreal World, Dwarf Fortress, Hearthstone, Skyrim, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron.
    Eternal Crusade Founder, PM for referral or take the tour- http://www.40kforums.com/vb/blog.php?b=1401