Post Thanks / Like

500/1000 Pt Armies - Necrons

Hi folks,

I'm a relatively inexperienced player; I've been playing on and off for a few years now and have never had a really 'serious' battle that I've put a fair amount of preparation into. However, one of my good friends has told me he's dying to have another match (it's been a while since he's played too), and I'm very keen to restart my '40K adventures' on the right foot. =)

In any case, I'll be playing Necrons - it's the only army I actually have, and I love the little guys to bits. From what he's told me he has 5 armies, and all I know is that he's at least got Imperial Guard and Orks. We decided so that it's not too daunting for me to get back into the swing of things, we'd do a small 500 point game first, then boost it up to 1000 points.

The 500 point army, as expected, is fairly straitforward:

500 Pts
    Necron Lord - 100
    Necron Warriors (10) - 180 [280]
    Necron Warriors (10) - 180 [460]

Of course, I have 40 points left over, and this is where my first bit of advice seeking comes in - what is the best way to spend these points? Should I invest in 2 more Warriors for some extra firepower, 3 Scarab Swarms to tie up any enemy units I'm concerned about, or upgrades for the Necron Lord (the Resurrection Orb seems like the most influential choice out of the lot given the points restriction). My gut says to go for the Scarab Swarms; close combat seems like it'll be an even bigger weakness in such small games so being able to avoid it, even just a little, might be tremendously helpful. From what I can gather reading the codex, it seems like the Imperial Guard are cheap enough to be able to field at least one Leman Russ, even in such a small army, so perhaps putting my Lord on a destroyer platform and upgrading him to a Warscythe is the way to go.

1000 Pts
    Necron Lord - 100
    Necron Warriors (10) - 180 [280]
    Necron Warriors (10) - 180 [460]
    Destroyers (5) - 250 [710]

This is the point I'm stuck at. A large contingent of Destroyers seems like a great idea for hailing down powerful fire on high risk targets early on, and mopping up squads the Warriors can't take down on their own. As such, it seems like I could max out on these and be ok. However, I've been reading about how powerful the Monolith is, providing a second WBB roll (after the armour save + the first WBB roll), and it seems like it could be a good choice. The problem is that it'd put me up to 945 points, leaving very little room for anything else. As an inexperienced player, I can't tell if that third 'armour save' is enough for 25 eligible targets. I've also read about giving my Lord a Veil of Darkness and teaming him up with a squad of Immortals, which also sounds like a promising idea, but I have to admit I haven't used Deep Strike before - how reliable is it? My hunch is to go with the Monolith and a Resurrection Orb on the Lord (as well as 15 points of other upgrades - probably the Phlactery), but I'm pretty unsure.

So basically, my questions are:

1. With the 500 point list, what is the best bet to spend those last 40 points on, knowing nothing more than that I will possibly be facing Orks or Imperial Guard?
    2. With the 1000 point list, what's the best all-round way to spend the points beyond the first 460?

I guess I'm more or less asking for help with the entire army list, but it'll also help in showing whether or not my initial research and hunches were right, or if I was way off the mark.

Thanks for any help!

Jax

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Res Orb. This is why playing games at 500 points with Necrons is redundant. The Necrons shine best at 1850. Below 1250 they struggle, above 1850 they can't compete with uber units.

2. I would have in 2x 10 warriors, 1x 5 Destroyers, 1 Lord on foot with a orb, and the rest of the points on Immortals.

Good luck!

W/L/D (1v1/)
    Eldar- 22/2/2
    Necrons- 4/2/0

The best of men can swallow victory with the same taste as defeat.

http://aeviaan.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    at 500 points your going to struggle....
    in the 1000 points army. go for 2 units of 3 destroyers and res orb on the lord+ a handful of immortals

Originally Posted by Tarion'maseth
    But you know that when it's time to party, you want the keg, not the 6-pack :Wink:
    Originally Posted by SourImplant
    Last time someone said to me "we should go drinking together," a coworker ended up with his pants around his ankles and duct-taped to a palm tree on Universal Blvd in Orlando.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree in 500 point games necrons do struggle, I would take a res orb to guarantee WBB but if your worried about tanks try a warscythe and Destroyer body for lord.
    At 1k...
    Core 460points, take 6 destroyers in two groups of three for manouverability.
    You could take a monolith if you wanted to be really mean but its a lot points in one modle, dont forget phase out too.
    I would recommend, 5 scarabs to annoy and tie up enemy units. Maybe a tomb spyder or two and spend the remainder on more warriors.
    Use destroyers to fly around flanks and hit side armour of tabks, dont try to destroy them only stop them doing what they do, eg a truk thats immobilised is useless as is a russ that cant shoot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice so far everyone. Wish things seemed 'brighter', but what can you do. =P

I was curious though; what's the main purpose for the Immortals? I'm putting the list together now, and I've got

Core (500 pts):
    Necron Lord w/ Res Orb: 140
    Necron Warriors x 10: 180
    Necron Warriors x 10: 180
    Additional Units:
    Destroyers x 3: 150
    Destroyers x 3: 150

So this brings me up to 800 points. If I were to invest the rest of the points in Immortals, I'd get 7 for 196 points. So I'm looking at 14 S5AP4 shots with an effective range of 30". Comparatively, if I were to get a third squad of 4 Destroyers (which have the same stat line) I'd get 12 S6AP4 shots with an effective range of 48".

Forgive my nubbery; after all I'm still definitely a beginner by anyone's standards. =) Are the 2 extra shots, and 3 extra models (thus making less shots per wound, meaning casualties are less painful), as well as it being easier to keep them in range of the Res Orb worth more than the greater movement and extra range of the Destroyers? Knowing the reason why I'm opting for one selection over another will (hopefully) increase my skill and knowledge as a player.

Once again, thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Immortals will give you more bodies at the same toughness (and so are harder to shift and eliminate one full squad) and boost your Phase Out count. They are not quite as outright killy, this is why I suggest mixing Destroyers and Immortals together. =)

W/L/D (1v1/)
    Eldar- 22/2/2
    Necrons- 4/2/0

The best of men can swallow victory with the same taste as defeat.

http://aeviaan.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    If your not taking scarabs i would lean towards the extra destroyers as they are jetbikes so good for objective contesting on the last turn, and tge extra strength can Instant death eldar, IG and the likes especially since its AP 4