Post Thanks / Like

Dark Angels Scouts

So, unless I'm horribly wrong, Dark Angels Scouts are elite choices. Now, having just bought a Space Marine battle force I find myself with a small contingent of them. I do eventually want to expand my force to include Deathwing etc. which will take up further Elite choices. So, my question is this- is it worth taking scouts in a DA force? If so, how are they best used?

My other signature is a Porsche.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    tbh...no. they have nothing a dark angel army needs. if you can get your froiends to agree to using the rules in any of the other marine codex's then they can be used as a teleport homer. but the da are usless otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Suprised they were not given teleport homer in the Errata for the DA if all the other Chapters can do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by computertrucker View Post
    Suprised they were not given teleport homer in the Errata for the DA if all the other Chapters can do it.
    The reason is that Deathwing formations teleport to locations that Ravenwing bikers have scouted to (which is why DA have the only bikes with Tele-homers).
    But as you can see, by competing with Deathwing for elites slots, not having any sort of beacon, and with Ravenwingers only getting homers rather then locator beacons, everyone comes down a peg, especially scouts. That, and they cannot score or get camo cloaks, which really sucks.
    Scouts are the dud unit of the Dark Angels book, so you know.

Boltrig-So Durandal, I understand youre a Demi-god? Thats fantastic!
    edmundblack-Durandal is the Crown Prince of Cleavage.
    My Painting Thread (you should definitely check it out!)
    Oh, fuck, it's the Eldar!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    lol are DA the dud to most lists other than say DW? Just seems like they are down on almost every level by reading alot of the threads..

Post Thanks / Like
    lol are DA the dud to most lists other than say DW? Just seems like they are down on almost every level by reading alot of the threads..
    DA are the 'dud' of the space marine codexes since there isn't a lot special about them. Combat Squads, Deathwing Assault/mixed weapons, and scoring land speeders are nice, and while we have Bikes that can scout, Mr. Jervis made sure that they can never, ever turbo-boost during the scout move, negating some of the alpha-strike quality. And while they have the old school chaplain (which BA might have gotten back anyway?), the librarians aren't that great, and nearly everything cost more (save certain devastator builds, which lack the Signum, and LR Crusaders w/ a Multi-melta).
    That said, it is certainly the most friendly marine army to play against using any of the pre-5th edition books, with BTs being just behind due to unique rules and units.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sad its the faction I used to play years ago... loved them back then.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, from what I gather, there's basically no decent way of using scouts in my force. Shame. I did quit like the idea of having some snipers, but meh, I can live without I guess.

Following on from this, I also have a squad of assault marines. Are they any good to use or am I better off going with a Ravenwing squadron to aid my (eventual) Deathwing squad(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The assault squad in DA are a joke...so overpriced. I mean Jaw dropping overpriced... best you can do is hope the next time around they do it with their heads screwed on tight.

Post Thanks / Like
    DA assault squads = DW CC terminators?

Post Thanks / Like
    DA assault squads = DW CC terminators?
    No, Dark Angels Assault squads = Assault Squads. Marines with a CCW instead of a bolter, and come with Jump packs. Not only are they over priced (more so then Codex: Space Marines), they can't take any special weapons either. So you pay a premium to make tactical marines move 12", gain a extra attack, no longer score, and lose any capacity to shoot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, so most of the battle force was a waste apparently. Nuts. At least I still have 15 marines and a Rhino.

So, is a typical Dark Angel list better as a stand-and-shooty or a charge-and-choppy? Or is it a happy medium? I haven't actually played a game of 40K in years but I'm slowly building a force with a view to getting back in to the the hobby, so I need to plan my following purchases accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like
    From everything I have been reading, Dark Angels are more shooty, and of coarse heavy Armor with Terminators. But it seems both Vanilla Marines and Space Wolves can actually do the Shooty thing better. Also the Space Wolves do Shooting and Melee better?

Dark Angels seem to be on the low end in most cases exception is Deathwing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also the Space Wolves do Shooting and Melee better?
    Space Wolf Grey Hunters have counter-attack, and two special weapons per squad, if I remember correctly. This is very big, since they can literally just stand and shoot you as you get into charge range to little lose (save certain units, like those with Furious Charge, which you need to deny). They also have some unique close combat gear and units (wulfen, thunder-calv).

Post Thanks / Like
    So it seems that Dark Angels may well be a challenge to play with. Well, I like challenges! I guess my force will be a bit more DW heavy than I thought, so definitely no space for scouts, and maybe not even my company veterans at this rate. So how good are Ravenwing points wise? Are they worth it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Benifit is that their land speeder can contest and hold Objectives... Disadavantage is points wise Vanilla Marines cost less point per point.. If I remember reading correctly.

LOL I love the Dark Angels... right Now I am getting back into the game myself and having a hard time deciding between Dark Angels, Ultramarines, or GreyKnights myself. At least our Deathwing seems to rock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wait till Grey Knights come out. Everyone can play vanilla marines and call them DA for fluff purposes. They made amendments but our chars are still lacking their absolute punches. More than likely they will increase the cost too.

- Everyday is a hobby day.

- When are you going to play?