Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Post Thanks / Like
    My paints are very thinned :/

Thanks for the article, I've had a look I just don't know if I'm brave enough, I might try it on an older model first and see how it looks.

Any tips on using weathering powders? I've read a few articles that say make up brushes are good for applying them dry but there's others that say to mix them with water first so I'm torn.

I'm also thinking it's time to start using a varnish afterwards as before I was either leaving them unprotected or using the GW purity seal which had mixed results.

Space Marines - Swords of Macragge: W4-D0-L2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Never used weathering powders myself, but when Forge World released their own a few years back they put up an accompanying guide to show how to use them. Exact method of application might depend on the brand itself and the end result you're looking for.

If you plan to game with your models, you should always apply a varnish afterwards. Especially if you still handle metal models. I've had some mixed results myself with different spray on matte varnishes (and one mishap with a can of white spray paint that looked identical to the can of varnish I thought I had picked up), but most of the problems seem to to temperature and/or humidity. If you don't have a safe place indoors to spray (something like an airbrush aficionado might be able to describe), you might try using a brush on varnish instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a very useful guide, mainly about tanks but the techniques could be applied elsewhere I suppose.

I'd not bothered with varnishes in the past as I just stuck to the painting side of the hobby but I would really like to get into the gaming so thought sealing them would be a good idea

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks EB, guess I still got some skills, need to fine tune them now though, seen some models on other sites and my skills are way off compared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nothing will simultaneously embarrass you and encourage you to improve like looking at the top picks on sites like Cool Mini or Not.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking at the Eldar on the GW site and saw a particular blue Hemlock Wraithfighter and my jaw dropped.

Then I see your stuff and Michaels stuff on here

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just took some pictures of a model I finished earlier in the week, and there's plenty of room for improvement still. Everything you paint, you paint a little better than you did before. One of these days, I might even be able to pull off a stubble effect like this one, even though my every attempt so far has led to failures of the epic variety.

At the end of the day, keep doing what you're doing. Can't wait to see your take on the new Primaris Marines.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I got lucky with that stubble effect, it was just a case of watering down the grey to almost water and then layering it until I felt happy, then use the flesh colour to shape it back into a hairline....I'm glad you like the effect though, I was happy with the results.

One of the big draws for me to painting is that feeling of achievement when you try a new skill or paint a new model and it comes out looking exactly as you had it pictured in your head.

Post Thanks / Like
    So today I went to my local GW with the intentions of watching a couple of games of 8th edition, they even let me have a tester game in store while it was quiet and I had a lot of fun....but as always in those stores there's so much temptation and.....well.....this happened.

I'd like to edit my thread title now as this is no longer going to be just a Space Marine chapter blog but I can't remember how I used to do it, I could swear it was as simple as editing your first post in the thread but that doesn't seem to be working....but hey ho.

So time to build some Eldar

Post Thanks / Like
    So this happened tonight....

Not started painting it yet because I still haven't decided on a paint scheme fully and I don't know what runes symbolises what and don't want to put on the wrong transfers.

I assume some symbolise the specific craftworlds but I'm going for my own scheme as I did with my marines.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Wraithlord has been given it's first base coat today, the red is on and ready for a wash.

I've also decided to try my hand at a freehand design on the head....aiming for a Japanese rising sun, kind of a combination of my 2 hobbies cos I'm big into my Japanese cars too.