Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Painting White Armor (help wanted)

I just want some tips for painting white armor on space marines.

I have I idea to go black base coat, gray second coat and finish with white. Or would it be better to base coat gray second coat light gray to white and highlight with pure white?

Any other tips for painting white would be great.

A Warhammer story - Prologue Chapter
    http://www.40kforums.com/vb/entry.ph...ologue-chapter

Spherically Challenging edmundblack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Black prime, the several light dustings with the white spray, top it up with thinned down skull white paint and paint the recesses. Should do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The way iv done it (actually works D was to spray White (GW version), then go over it again with P3 Morrow White. Works like a charm, it will even cover if you undercoated black. ill see if i can get a pic up.

Granted the third pic makes the white shine alot.. to much sun here :p Not that ill complain.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Billede056.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	4451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Billede057.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	4452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Billede059.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	4453  
    Last edited by Lucian; 4th August 2011 at 16:04.
    http://40kforums.com/vb/entry.php/10...ures-25-8-2010 Death Korps of Krieg Log
    "Your foe is well equipped, well trailed, battle-hardened. He believes his gods are on his side. Let him believe what he will. We have the tanks on ours." -Colonel Joachim Pfeiff, Krieg 14th Armoured Regiment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you're talking about a small area of white, blend up using greys or browns (tans), brighter on the highlights like you'd expect.

If you are doing White Scars or Deathwing I would start with a white primer... much easier to shade and shadow than it is to build up that much white, IMO

- d4c -

Originally Posted by Architech View Post
    "The true test of power is not in being right, but in making others think you are"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was planning a mainly white armored army, I have always done darkest to light before so not really experienced with shadowing but I'd guess it's like highlighting in reverse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    shadowing over a white base coat is just like any other... Badab black wash... except I try not to get it on the larger, flat areas... just the cracks and around details.

Though you can also shade with a brown wash... which might go better. It would also darken the white base coat and allow you to shade back up to white?

I have never used a brown wash... mainly due to my obscene addiction to Badab Black.

- d4c -

Originally Posted by Architech View Post
    "The true test of power is not in being right, but in making others think you are"

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I have been doing with my Imp.Guard Carapace armor, I've found that doing a slightly heavier then normal layer of white really makes it pop. With a whole Marine, you probably have to do him in sections as thicker layer takes longer to dry, but I think it looks pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    When I was still having trouble deciding which chapter to paint for my Marines, I looked at a tutorial GW put out on painting White Scars. Their method was to spray the model in Skull White for an undercoat, then paint increasingly darker washes into the recesses. They thinned down regular colors to wash consistency, rather than relying on the limited selection of actual out-of-the-pot washes. The colors they used for that were Space Wolves Grey, Shadow Grey, and Fenris Grey, to give the recessed points a bit softer finish than simply putting down the old Badab Black catchall.

I also looked at one guy's very impressive Eagle Warriors chapter on Warseer, where he did his models up the hard way. He started with a black undercoat, then built up dozens of thin layers of Fortress Grey mixed with increasing amounts of Skull White. This allowed him to actually do edge highlights in pure Skull White, since the "white" areas were actually just a very light gray. His results were great, but the amount of effort that went into each one was a bit more than I would be willing to do personally. Especially when it came to painting his Thunderhawk by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    works aswell

http://40kforums.com/vb/entry.php/10...ures-25-8-2010 Death Korps of Krieg Log
    "Your foe is well equipped, well trailed, battle-hardened. He believes his gods are on his side. Let him believe what he will. We have the tanks on ours." -Colonel Joachim Pfeiff, Krieg 14th Armoured Regiment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the help guys, they have helped alot, the video especially, will post my finished works!

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually do a grey prime if I do white on a model it saves you a lot of hassle and its not hard to darken or lighten up any part of the mini.

Mafia: 3-2
    Latest: Between Grey Mud and Sky (win)

http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b706f8341f34