Post Thanks / Like

Elysian Drop Troop Tactics & Army Structure

Elysian Drop Troop Tactics & Army Structure

Just as a quick introduction, I am a returning 40k (and WFB) player after a 10 year hiatus, played a handful of games with 5th edition rulebook since when i left we were on 3rd edition I think. Been a collector of IG and SW (dwarves and wood elves).

Since i have none of my old 40k models left im looking to start an army from scratch, something a little different and shocking to bring to the table. Not looking for tournament use and most other people are happy with FW (which i can actually afford at this point) so im looking into getting an Elysian Drop Troops army (based on IA8 EDT army list).

Since this seems to be the rarest breed of IG and their rules mean you have to adapt to a totally different play style. I'm looking to see if anyone has any ideas on how they think they would best be played, and what kind of army list they would field. Maybe one of you has an Elysian Drop Troop army, if so id love to hear from you, but anyone with a copy of IA8 (or IA3 rules which aren't drastically different) and a decent amount of experience with the game should be able to have a stab at some ideas, id love to hear them.

Im trying to work out an army list that is scalable from 500pt to 2k in 500pt increments. I really am struggling. Way i see it one of my platoons should be totally mobile (so min 3 dedicated valkyries/vendettas) and anti armour will be key (which i intend to solve with a sky talon carrying 2 drop sentinels with meltas). Problem is with a lone commissar as HQ this army comes in at just under 1k without any upgrades. So whilst it might work well for the basis of a 1.5k, its not going to work under it.

Has anyone got any ideas of how to make the most of the Elysians with a 500pt?

Has anyone got a (probably much) better template for a 1k+?

Has anyone got any keen strategies for the EDT?

*EDIT - Just found a few EDT topics from the "similar threads" which didnt show up in my advanced search. These lists were based on IA3 but still good reference. Interesting to see no-one taking transports, but i can see why for the 100pt cost against getting more manpower.

With the rule changes on Sentinels with transports (2 to a sky talon) it seems like a much more viable anti tank solution than it was with IA3 rules. Thoughts?

Also what about Scanners? No Dice was warning off heavy use of Vox but with a short range lock ground scanner any unit with a Vox can get 50% on a reroll anywhere on the table. Seems useful in a pinch to me, anyone with any experience

Last edited by Kinky; 6th September 2011 at 11:06.

Post Thanks / Like
    As for them, many a moon ago I was very interested in these guys, and designed many an army list around them. I should also preface this with I have not looked at an IG codex for an edition, and not played for a good year either.

Personally I felt that when it came to anti armour you had two options. Dug in from the start and did not move, or the more mobile weapons through Special Weapon teams and squad upgrades. Even sergeants with Meltabombs is a good thing to think about. I always felt the list as well was infantry heavy, the odd Sentinel squadron, say, three of one or two of two. In taking this list you're saying my meatbags are not just good for being shot at, bring it on AP4 and higher.

The best thing to do with these guys is get in close, bulldog tactics, get in close and don't let go. Heavy Weapons are not a good idea, as they slow you down, so either dig them in, or keep them on the Sentinels. Special weapons are largely template or melta, in my designs, from memory. Also snipers for picking off high value targets, ie Command squads, and other heavy weapons, IC's as well. Not the best weapon against, but you can spread your firepower over a wide area, one of the things that IG does very well.

I suppose to finish this, in two parts. Say flexible with these guys, learn how to play a reactive to proactive game. Don't let your opponent get too caught up in his own plan, then make your move. It will take some time and I feel many painful losses in your future, but when done right, it can be very nasty.

As a final comment, I have to say that despite the error in my username, I have the right name for this thread.

Call me CaptLeon, it's easier. I don't want to ruin the tendons in your hand from typing out my username.

The square of the number of factions or characters is a good guide to the number of serious design issues you will face in your concept.

Non solum.... sed etiam.

Moz: Yes, I have to agree with you there. Well said.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the difference between these guys and the Cadian?

Post Thanks / Like
    Main differences are...

Every single unit can deepstrike
    No tanks (only troops, aircraft, sentinels and tauros [buggy things])
    All units can take demo charges
    All units can take Valkyriies as dedicated transports

So where Cadians are an attrition or bombardment army, Elysians are a harrassment or hit-and-run army.

I can explain further if youre interested and dont have access to IA8

So i put together a 500pt. Problem i found here is minimum requirement for the FOC is 4 infantry squads and 3 cs. At the bear minimum with no upgrades that weighs in at 365pt. And with quite a lot of essential upgrades to get i didnt have a lot to play with...

500 POINT LIST MKI

HQ (70)

Command Command Squad
    - Meltagun
    - Meltabombs

TROOPS (380)

Platoon Alpha Command Squad
    - Meltagun
    - Meltabombs

Platoon Alpha Infantry Squad
    - Grenade Launcher
    - Meltabombs

Platoon Alpha Infantry Squad
    - Grenade Launcher
    - Meltabombs

Platoon Beta Command Squad
    - Meltagun
    - Meltabombs

Platoon Beta Infantry Squad
    - Grenade Launcher
    - Meltabombs

Platoon Beta Infantry Squad
    - Grenade Launcher
    - Meltabombs

FAST ATTACK (50)

Drop Sentinel Squad
    - 1 Sentinel
    - Multimelta

Its a lot of melta i know, but my main opponents are going to be SM and CSM so at this stage (when i have no real AV/AA) im going to need my infantry to do as much cutting as possible. Could have got 2 demo charges and one melta->plasma upgrade instead of the sentinel but i think hell come in handy for harassment. Decided to drop vox in favour of more melta, might reverse that decision, depends how effective iron discipline is.

Moving on to 1000pt im not too sure. This is when my opponents will start fielding AV10+ so im going to need an anti-armour solution. And here she is...

Vulture Gunship (205) [Nodice's tank hunter loadout)
    - Armoured Cockpit
    - Chaff Launcher
    - Hunterkiller Missiles
    - Twin linked lascannons

Problem is it weighs in at almost half the points i have to work with. Maybe its overkill for a 1k, but when im up against predators i dont really see another solution. I could take Vendettas instead but i worry that they wont get the job done, because then im toast.

Other than that i was looking at upping my Sent squad to two and giving them a dedicated Sky Talon. That takes that squad from (50) to (170) and my army up to (825). Going that way is possibly workable. Then 175 on more troops, vets, special weapons and heavy weapons.

Thoughts?

*EDIT - One other thing, vets are a troop choice but arent listed in the requirements/layout of a platoon. Does that mean they take up a whole troop choice on the FOC or do they count as an infantry unit under a platoon?

Last edited by Kinky; 8th September 2011 at 13:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    vets are a whole tropp choice on there own...

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this thread might've been abandoned but I thought that since I own and field a 2600 pt Elysian army, I might give some advice.

First off: if you want lascannon firepower, the Vendetta is vastly superior to the Vulture. I like the Vulture better modelwise, but if you're actually going to get one, I would go for another role for it - I gave mine the twinlinked punisher gatling cannons, and never looked back...

Veteran squads are ace. Don't overload them with gear and doctrines though, keep them cheap. I have one platoon, in order to get some cheap special weapon squads (2x three meltas, 1x three flamers) and some heavy weapons (missile launchers).

When preparing your army lists, try to fit one or two homing beacons in - being able to reroll the scatter when deepstriking is very good.

I have had some great use for the Long range ground scanner set in the 4+ twinlinking mode. Give your squad vox caster and see if you can make the magic work.

Drop sentinels are fun. The can be fire magnets, and if the opponent leaves them alone they stand a good chance of doing something good. I especially like to equip them with heavy flamer - roasting and assaulting space marines, and then locking them in a combat they're hard pressed to win can be pretty good.

Over all, when it comes to army list making, go for a surplus of equipment - you will need backup units. When it comes to tactics, try to always attack from a flank or your troops won't last long.

My favourite unit is a veteran squad with the forward observers doctrine, two plasma guns and a heavy flamer. I give them a homing beacon and stick them in some good terrain, and use them as a focal point for coordinating attacks... lovely!