Post Thanks / Like

Grey Knights 1500 Point List Help

I'm fairly new to Grey Knights and 40K, and I was looking for a bit of help to fine tune my 1500 point list. Here's what I have so far:

HQ:

Castellan Crowe-150

Troops:

10 Purifiers in a Rhino (2 Psicannons, 2 Daemon Hammers, 6 Halberds, Psibolt Ammo)-342

10 Purifiers in a Rhino (2 Psicannons, 2 Daemon Hammers, 6 Halberds, Psibolt Ammo)-342

5 Deep Striking Terminators (2 Daemon Hammers, 1 Warding Stave, 1 Halberd, 1 Halberd w/ Psicannon)-245

Heavy Support:

Dreadnought w/ 2 Twin Linked Autocannons and Psibolt Ammo-135

Total: 1484 Points

I used the remaining 16 points on Random accessories for my rhinos, but I can't see a better use for them.

Any suggestions are welcome (this is my first list, so I expect many changes need to be made), and this list will be most frequently played against (in order of the player's skill): Tau/Orcs, Chaos Space Marines, and Blood Angels. Thanks for the help.

Spherically Challenging edmundblack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's fine ... but boring. It's not that different to any "Net List tournament copy/paste" list out there to be honest.

Grey Knights don't go to heaven: they go to hell and regroup.
    Cheaphammer 40p.
    Space Elves.
    Some scribblings.
    sneggy: I feel both pleased and violated......
    Baragash: Inflation has nothing to do with GW's price increases unless WHW is actually a Zimbabwean embassy.
    Architech: I'm so proud that he's the only forum member with me quoted in his sig...

Post Thanks / Like
    could drop one purifier to make room for crowe with that squad in the rhino. *shrug* but as eb said, cut and dry list that gets around if ya catch mah drift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by jettzypher View Post
    could drop one purifier to make room for crowe with that squad in the rhino. *shrug* but as eb said, cut and dry list that gets around if ya catch mah drift.
    Crowe cannot ride in a Rhino with a squad as he is a separate unit of 1, not an independent character.

Also, moved thread to Army Lists per forum rules.

My mod voice is green.
    If you have any comments, questions, or concerns about my moderating, please PM me.
    Dr. Manfredel is wrong. That kind of thinking is never justified.
    http://www.40kforums.com/vb/showthread.php/7722-Sharp-s-Stuff-Bikers-3-31-12
    Watch me play games badly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Opps. I'm very sorry about that.

Also, I feel like tau shooting and ork deff rollas (I spell like a ork) could take a big chunk out of my few model army. Any ideas on how to avoid this?

Last edited by Callaghan41; 29th December 2011 at 21:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    you have no where near enough stuff for 1500pts.

Crowe is a points tax, personally i dont think you can really afford taxes at 1500pts unless your going super competitive razorback and psycannon spam.

Purifiers are great, they are great because you can take 4 psycannons or incinerators for 10 dudes. They are quite good in combat but as per the main problem with all grey knights they are still only marines and will die on mass to power weapons or other AP1,2 and 3. At the moment your 2 squads are half kitted out for assault and half shooty, pick one. As they are gonna be in the rhino you are only gonna be really doing one of the two.

You dont need 3 dreds at 1500, i use 2 at this level and aslong as you dont leave them sitting in the open 2 is plenty.

My advice. GK win with their troops, all you need is psycannons, psycannons and more psycannons. If you go with strike squads (as i do) then squads of 10, 2 psycannons and psybolts is all you need. They literally tear through anything.

If you wanna do purifers/crowe either 10 guys in a LR with librarian = super killing death assault team OR 5/6 guys with 2 psycannons and razorback with psybolt, then copy and paste.

Of course if ur not to fussed about being competitive and just like the list you wrote stick with it! i play with some terrible lists alot just because i like the shiny dreadknights or whatever!

Post Thanks / Like
    I do like to win, so I'll take your advice. I did see one 1500 list with Crowe, 2 Dreads, and as many groups of 5 purifiers w/ 2 psicannons and such in rhinos as he could fit. Do you think that would work? Too many kill points? Also, why razorbacks, not rhinos? Psicannons being shot from the people inside are better than razorback weaponry.

Last edited by Callaghan41; 30th December 2011 at 00:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Razorbacks with psybolt are a bargain at 50pts, they are twin linked and out range psycannon. If you move up to 6" you can shoot full amount of shots. Its that extra bit of range that does it for me anyway.

So yeh a competitive list could look something like this

Crowe = 150
    5 Man purifier squad, Razorback w/PB ammo and 2 psycannnons = 190
    5 Man purifier squad, 1 Psycannon = 130
    Psy Dread = 135
    Psy Dread = 135

total = 1500

So you have the full 6 troops choices for max objective love. 14 Kill points is admittedly quite alot for 1500, but you have the fire power to make sure they suffer in return. This is of course a very competitive list, it may not go down to well in a casual gaming environment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never worry about kill points. only 1/3 of games use them and MSU is apparently the new black although im not convinced myself I have seen and heard people having great success with Many Small Unit spam.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm probably going to use a list somewhat like that for competitive games, but take it easy with a list like the original for fun games. Two questions though: what weaponry would you suggest for the razorbacks (lazcannons?) and would the 5 man purifier squad kind hug some terrain near an objective in an objective game and what would they do in kill points?

Post Thanks / Like
    Its pretty fearsome! Not much heavy AT in it though, you dont have much to scratch a landraider hide. You really need some daemon hammers in there (which with hammerhand become S10), which means finding some points from somewhere else.

I'd suggest scrapping the half squad, and upgrading one of your rz to a lascannon upgrade, and buying weapon upgrades (halberds and deaemon hammers - say 2 hammers in 1 squad, and 1 in each of the others). You can spend the spare points on 20 halberds and a 6th man in a squad.

Alternatively downgrade the half squad to a strike squad without any upgrades, and use the 30 points to buy 6 hammers

Mad, Bad, and not very dangerous

Drakonthenightlord: "It's always best to let the wookiee win."

Army pics posted on http://www.40kforums.com/vb/showthre...ijunior-armies

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll probably remove the group without a transport to upgrade the other squads. For composition of the 5 man squads, should it be 2 psicannons, 2 halberds, 1 daemon hammer (with maybe a few squads with two daemon hammers), using the rest of the points to upgrade the weapons on the razorbacks/adding one extra purifier to squads. Think it would still be as effective as Bodopo's list?

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding the list i posted anti tank capability.

AV 14 is indeed a bit of a problem, in reality you dont see much of that though. Baring in mind the amount of AV 14 likely to appear in competitive lists i don't think this warrants re-planning the list. You can still Pen AV with the 10 psycannons you have and glance with the dreads. I will take abit of luck with 6's but with the amount of shots you can put down you will get the results. Apart from AV14 i think your anti armour is very strong, rhino's and other common weak armoured mechanized lists die on mass to S8 autocannons. You also have the 5 S6 3 shot HB.

You could drop the small squad for upgrades, i wouldnt recommend combat ones though. Hammers especially arnt great in 5 man units as there is a good chance you wont survive long enough for them to swing. I would think about adding assault cannons or las cannons and guys to the squads in favour of combat boosts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do think that better force weapons are somewhat essential for my 5 man squads, but I understand that hammers might not be necessary.

2 Psicannons and 3 Halberds? The rest of the points would be for razorback weaponry or maybe extra squad members.

Last edited by Callaghan41; 30th December 2011 at 19:22.

Post Thanks / Like
    that sounds good to me. Its not that hammers are not necessary or even good, i just think they are not practical in a 5 man squad.