Post Thanks / Like

Space marines vs. imperial Guard

So i'm playing my friend in a battle next weekend and since i am a new player I was looking for some advice

This would be my first battle so any help would be appreciated

He's playing;
    Rhino
    Vindicator
    15 tac. marines
    5 terminators
    5 scouts
    and his chapter master

I have
    Chimera w/ Multilaser, bow heavy bolter and HK missle
    Sentinel w/ autocannon and Hunterkiller missle
    10 veterans w/ heavy flamer and grenade launcher
    10 veterans w/ undetermined( i was thinking sniper and plasma gun)
    CCS w/ medic, vox, banner carrier, and melta gun
    Heavy weapons squad ( I was thinking 2 lascannons and a missle launcher)

thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    I would put your sniper in your CCS just cus he is kind of a waist if you want your vets to be able to move, if you put the melta in with the vets then it can get close where it will be useful. Also I would put your melta, plas squad in the chimera. But that is just me.

The heavy weapons guys will be a problem. To field a heavy weapons squad it is required to be part of a platoon. Which requires a minimum of 1 Platoon Command squad and 2 Infantry squads (See top of page 96 IG codex) That being said if you want to bring your hvy weapons guys, you can make them part of your vet squads and your CCS.

Vox only works if there is one on both sides have one. So you need to give your vets vox's as well for it to be useful.

Also I don't know the points of the SM but do you guys have the same point value? Cus it looks like he is fielding more points than you.

"I need more tanks!" Commander Sysk of the 1337th Armored Devision, the Black Hand of Sysk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Don't take Sniper rifles ever!

Take the plasma guns - you will need them if he uses his terminators and they are still a threat to most of his tanks too.

For your heavy weapons put them into your 10 man or 5 man squads as it makes them live longer - 1 shot from the vindicator or one turn of shooting can easliy kill all 3 in one go.

Harder
    Better
    Faster
    Stronger
    "If one little rule change is going to make you rage then in you're in the wrong game!" "Zach of the Independent Characters"
    http://blood-claw.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the advice, also i forgot to mention i also have a 10 man squad of stormtrooper with a flamer and a grenadier and the vet squads have vox
    and also
    so you saying attach a heavy weapons squad to each veteran squad?
    and should I put the plasma and melta in the same vet squad and put the sniper in the CCS and alos put a vox in there?
    sorry for all the questions as i said I am very new

Last edited by Ownedace13; 8th January 2012 at 19:43.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Ownedace13 View Post
    so you saying attach a heavy weapons squad to each veteran squad?
    Not the squad itself but one of the hvy weapons teams. You can replace 2 vets with a vet Hvy weapons team.

Originally Posted by Ownedace13 View Post
    and should I put the plasma and melta in the same vet squad and put the sniper in the CCS and alos put a vox in there?
    Ya, I'd put the plas and the melta in the same squad and put those guys in the your chimera. And I'd have to agree with Tic Tac, unless your taking a ratling squad i don't really think it is worth it. That being said these first few months of playing you will be learning what you like/ don't like about IG. Lord know most people have a model or 2 they thought would be awesome when they first started that now collects dust cus it never sees play but you have to know weather or not you like things. Also the question is are you wanting to power game or just have fun. Cus if your wanting to power game, you need hydras, manticores, valkeries and vendettas, but if your just wanting to have fun then rock what ever you enjoy watching roll around killing.

"I need more tanks!" Commander Sysk of the 1337th Armored Devision, the Black Hand of Sysk

Post Thanks / Like
    i just made the sniper becuase i thought he would look cool, didn't expect him to be good
    so what you saying is take eight models and a heavy weapons team, that is how i understand it, or can I do 10 models and a HW team
    I a know I need all those things If I am going to power game, just i have very little money so that kind is out of the question right now

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by MC Tic Tac View Post
    Don't take Sniper rifles ever!

Take the plasma guns - you will need them if he uses his terminators and they are still a threat to most of his tanks too.

For your heavy weapons put them into your 10 man or 5 man squads as it makes them live longer - 1 shot from the vindicator or one turn of shooting can easliy kill all 3 in one go.
    Just because you don't have the models for melta/plasma guns doesn't mean you can't proxy! I normally equip my vets w/ 3 plasma guns and a sergeant w/ a plasma pistol. When you're playing against marines, you need to crack their armor so you'll want to bring lots of firepower, too. (**hint, hint** Leman Russ)

Imperial Guard: 4000pts Necrons: 3150pts

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." -George S. Patton

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the point limit? because based on what I see your sm guy has too much im guessing a 1000? (dont know ig point values)

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the points out and i found he had almost twice my points, looks like some changes are in order

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done some calculations and your opponent's force is similar to this...

HQ
    Chapter Master: 125pts

Elites
    Terminator Squad: 200pts

Troops
    Tactical Squad 1: 170pts
    Rhino: 35pts
    Tactical Squad 2: 90pts
    Scout Squad: 75pts

Heavy Support
    Vindicator: 115pts

Total Points Base Value: 810

This adds room for your opponent to give himself Extra Armor (15pts a piece), give his Chapter Master Terminator Armor (40pts) and lightning claws (20pts), Cloaks for the Scouts (3pts a piece or 15pts total) and FREE sniper rifles!, and a Siege Shield for the Vindicator (10pts). This all adds up to 940pts with room to spare fitting out the sergeants and tactical squads with some heavy weapons here and there, and whatever else he needs to fill up points at this point.

Space Marines are always difficult when creating a solid 1,000pt list, so trying to figure out how your opponent will move based on the type of unit composition will be incredibly helpful!

For instance, the Terminators, since they don't have a Land Raider in the list as a dedicated Transport will not be a shock and awe effect upon your front lines. They will probably be held in reserve. Now this is where the Scouts come into play to bring havoc in the 2nd or 3rd turn. Scouts can take Teleport Homers for 15pts. With these, this would deliver precision striking for the Terminators right into your most precious units. This can happen with either one of two ways. Scouts may embark in a Rhino, move up and disembark near your units, and then "summon" the Terminators in next turn without scatter... OR the scouts can use their rules to their advantage and infiltrate within 12" of your units out of sight or 18" in plain view, then next turn the Terminators will deep strike via Teleport Homer and spearhead into you whilst every other model makes their way up to your lines taking pot shots out of you until they can double tap with their Bolters and possibly ASSAULT!

The Vindicator may seem daunting, with its template of doom that can rip through armor and flesh alike, but they are only really feasible in pairs. So once you knock out his Vindicator, his army will be heavily weakened. The Tactical Squads are not much of a threat, but are there mainly for objective games and back-up, not the main attack. The Chapter Master will probably be teleported in with the Terminator Squad if wearing Terminator Armour. If not, then the Chapter Master will be held back with the rest of the Tactical Squads just in case anything goes wrong with them and will be a HUGE asset for their assaults, but benefits the Terminators more so.

All in all, take out the Scouts and Vindicator FIRST. The Terminators will have to foot slog like the rest of the army and your Guardsmen will appreciate not losing 5-10 men outright.

Walk softly and carry a big gun.