Post Thanks / Like

Army Builder??

im confused at this. When im scanning a few forums here and there i see it and i have no idea what it is, obviously it (builds an army ) but what in the world is it??

Post Thanks / Like
    it usually refers to a program created and patched to allow you to build lists and get the rules for what you're taking in the list all in one place. You can do similar in spreadsheets, but the use of the rules and such in your printed lists is helpful. That being said, it's not free. I'm also pretty sure it's not endorsed by GW

I personally prefer pen and paper for list building, then note special rules as you are learning, and bookmark them in the dex for reference if needed

-Admin-

LastChancer: "Arch, you are my hero"
    Lemartes: "Arch is truth"

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds abit easier and cheaper to im gonna ignore army builder now. thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    plenty of players don't use it. It's nice, for sure...but learn your codex, and you're halfway through anything it helps you with. Besides if someone questions a rule...I doubt they'd believe the typed up version...so you'd be popping the codex anyway

-Admin-

LastChancer: "Arch, you are my hero"
    Lemartes: "Arch is truth"

Post Thanks / Like
    With my son and I both being new players, the Army Builder has more than paid for itself. While it doesn't post the special rules in detail, it lists the page number for the main book and codex that applies so you can look it up quickly. Basic stats are printed on the page, like a model's strength and toughness, for quick reference which recently helped me get through a local tournament faster than trying to look up the information as I played. I recommend it, simply for the ease it provides (more time to paint!) to a new player.

www.BlackbyrnePublishing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Army Builder is a nice time-saving tool, mostly. It reduces army list building time and can show you how you tend to spend your points. It isn't free and as far as I know it is not endorsed, either. It's really more of a luxury than anything.

If You Can't Read The Above

Rants, Raves, and Complaints
    Originally Posted by Kelidtha
    The only suitable punishment is anal sex.
    Just a rebel without claws. My Norn Queen never loved me.- Joint effort between me and Arch

Post Thanks / Like
    AB is totally worth the yearly license cost. And if you don't want to pay the yearly license cost you just have to do manual updates which are easy enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's great software...

At $40 USD for the license it isn't cheap, but it is very worth it if you can swing the cost. I don't find that it does any better at list building than a spreadsheet (Google for Alice40k and you'll find great premade spreadsheets for free)

The best thing about it is the rules it prints. It's handy to have that reminder next to each unit as to what special rules they have, weapon load outs and such. Easier than bouncing back to the codex all the time.

I downloaded the trial version to play with it a while ago... very fun. But I did not buy it. I stick with the Alice40k free spreadsheets.

- d4c -

Originally Posted by Architech View Post
    "The true test of power is not in being right, but in making others think you are"

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmmm.... First and probably most immportant: im only 17 i have to buy my own models paints and brushes, with money i hardly ever get im not sure i can spare R400 roughly (its quite abit) for something i can do...
    Second: I have time and to me spending more time on it gives me a greater reward in feeling that ive achieved something...
    Thirdly: I have too much spare time and not enough models to paint im already sitting with everything painted and nothing to do so reading my codex over and over learning it, understanding it so that i can be a beter necron player.

All in all time is not a problem however money isnt exactly in abundance so the cheaper the beter

Post Thanks / Like
    But i thank you all for your imput thank you very much it is greatly appreciated!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Use it for many years now, money isn't an isue, it's only 40 dollars for the first year, just remember that it has its mistakes (for example the artillery rules are still wrong after all the patches and updates they did)

There is no peace among the stars, only an eternity of slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods.
    Cast down the idols! Destroy the temples! slay the priests! Show these fools that they worship nothing more than a rotting corpse!
    Sanity is for the Weak! Your slavery to the false emperor ends today!
    Chaos daemon

Post Thanks / Like
    Well if you put it that way then i might consider it but at the moment im not even sure how it works or where to get it?

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to do a search for Battlescribe. It's similar to army builder but its free. You'll need to google 'battlescribe data files' and find a repository as they don't link directly to the army lists for legal reasons. You'll need to add up the points by hand if your using it for a tournament list as there are a few problems with the data files sometimes, but that goes for army builder too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmmm I shall do that, thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure about army builder, but on Battle Scribe you can modify the army catalogs when you get them so they are correct / easier to use for yourself. Like for me I add a short description along with the page # so I don't need my codex and FAQ when I want to get an idea what this or that does.

Just wish Battle Scribe was open source so I could contribute to improving it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    BattleScribe also has a mobile phone app in the Android market; not sure if it is also on the Apple market.

If You Can't Read The Above

Rants, Raves, and Complaints
    Originally Posted by Kelidtha
    The only suitable punishment is anal sex.
    Just a rebel without claws. My Norn Queen never loved me.- Joint effort between me and Arch