Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Hive Fleet Gorgon - Ferron Splinter Fleet

Hive Fleet Gorgon was a Tyranid Hive Fleet which invaded the Tau Empire in 899.M41. It was relatively small compared to other Hive Fleets, but it was exceptional for its ability to quickly adapt on a biological level to new circumstances of battle. Gorgon in fact manifested more bioform varieties than any other Hive Fleet. This rapid pace of adaptation may have been unique to Gorgon, or it may have been a response to conflict with the Tau, a race who are also highly flexible and adaptable but on a technological level. Gorgon was destroyed in 903.M41 by the combined forces of the Tau and the Imperial Guard.

However, it has since been identified that a splinter of Hive Fleet Gorgon separated from the main Hive Fleet before the final battle presumably to ensure the retention of the bioform and tactical knowledge learned during the conflicts. This splinter fleet headed towards Segmentum Obscurus where it has spent much of it's attentions on the Ferron Sub-sector, in particular focussing on the largest planet Ferron Proxima. Ferron Proxima is mainly a recruitment world for the Dark Angels, it's native people have long been chosen to join the ranks of the first Legion and it's subsequent second founding chapters. The fallen chapters have a strict rota system for choosing worthy aspirants due to the high levels of successful candidates.

Hive Fleet Gorgon's innate ability to change their genetic structure may explain perhaps their specific interest in the planet. Recent samples of captured bio-forms have shown that they are somehow absorbing the wraithbone liberally spread across the surface. Their chitinous bodies become infused with the Eldar material, making them even more psychically attuned to their synapse creatures. What is even more disturbing is that they do not seem to need to harvest the fragments, just prolonged exposure on the planets surface will slowly mutate their gene code. It's this discovery that troubles the many Bio-magi and Xeno-biologist who flock to Ferron Proxima to study the various unique fauna and flora who inhabit the red planet's barren, desert like environments, rich in iron deposits and basking under sulphur yellow skies.

For little plastic men - 40kaddict.blogspot.com
    For hitting people with sticks - www.liverpoolkendo.co.uk

2. Like CaptainBudget liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    i love the painting on these terrifying creatures, i am hoping to paint a nids army nest, and i absolutely adore the imperial aquillia that they are stood on, where did you get that?

Space wolves 2000pt W2/D1/L0

Painting blog:- http://www.40kforums.com/vb/entry.ph...g-Space-Wolves

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by The Dweller View Post
    i love the painting on these terrifying creatures, i am hoping to paint a nids army nest, and i absolutely adore the imperial aquillia that they are stood on, where did you get that?
    Cheers, it's from the Honored Imperium set which also includes this guy:

And this:

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice indeed! Like the use of the old stule Warrior for the Prime. Not seen that done before. Kudos.

Beeva can help you get wood!

Beeva's Painting Blog - Dammit Beeva!

6. Like 6^ liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Beeva View Post
    Very nice indeed! Like the use of the old stule Warrior for the Prime. Not seen that done before. Kudos.
    Me too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto.

@dwez : I think I've got most of one of those warriors kicking about somewhere, I may have to have a go myself now because that is a fantastic idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by CaptainBudget View Post
    Ditto.

@dwez : I think I've got most of one of those warriors kicking about somewhere, I may have to have a go myself now because that is a fantastic idea.

The tutorial to make one is here: http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/p/tutorials.html
    That's the second I made and bought the model on ebay. For the first one I had all 6 torsos and most of the weapons/arms but just two legs and I both were right legs! I had to model it on and find a way to bend it because the leg pose was exactly the same so it didn't look like it was walking.

Last edited by dwez; 1st May 2013 at 11:32.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is fantastic, I really like what you've done with them. And your blog is a great read by the way! The second Warrior Prime tutorial is clear, concise and well illustrated.

Last edited by CaptainBudget; 1st May 2013 at 19:05.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very cool! I really like the color scheme, great work!

Post Thanks / Like

Hive Fleet Gorgon - Ferron Splinter Fleet continues to target Ferron Proxima. Latest reports have revealed that unknown to the populace hundreds or even thousands of Genestealers have been laying dormant in the desert regions of the planet.

As more and more incursions from the splinter fleet happen more of these creatures are awakened from their slumber and burst forth from vegetation, caverns or even the very ground itself.

As each new nest is disturbed a writhing mass of tentacles, chitinous armour plates or sharp talons erupt from the surrounding terrain hungry and inflamed with an alien need to kill. The populace has been warned to not leave urban centres, in the belief that whatever construction work that's taken place in those areas would already have disturbed these creatures whereas the wide open spaces have lain unmolested for millenia, until now!

Kill squads from the planetary defence force, backed up by Adeptus Astartes and members of the Inquisition, including Magos Biologis Alder Garrick have set out to exterminate these life forms before they can connect with the splinter fleet. Who knows what information their alien biometric knowledge of Ferron Proxima will do to help the alien menace adapt and mutate in it's insatiable desire for Ferron Proxima.

Post Thanks / Like

The Scourge of Oktavia is a Xenos abomination that has only recently begun to terrorize the good citizens of Ferron Proxima. The Scourge is a bioform of the Hive Tyrant [Tyranicus Praefactor] genus but it has evolved with the ability of flight due to its leathery wings.

Alongside the winged biomorph it has also adapted two oversized Devourer weapons. These horrific mutations allow the beast to lay down heavy fire that can decimate small vehicles as well as the brave people of Ferron Proxima.

The Scourge has taken to roosting in the abandoned Edvard Henri Memorial Cathedral Tower in the coastal hive city of Oktavia Profundis. Despite sharp shooters from the local militia and planetary defence force they have been unable to remove it from it's nesting area and the Winged Tyrant continues to plague the populace killing with abandon.

A call for support from the Dark Angels has been despatched, as Ferron Proxima is a recruitment world for them and their Sucessor chapters. The Tyrant may have the skies for the moment but in time it will have to face the might of the Adeptus Astartes.

14. Like Solus liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cracking tyranids. The 'Scourge of Oktavia' is excellent. Need to keep an eye on this.

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

"I am indeed amazed when I consider how weak my mind is and how prone to error." - Rene Descartes

"You guys don't think God's losing His mind do you? I don't know how old He is but He's gotta be getting up there." - Randall Dew Hickey

"Don't always trust what you read on the internet." - Aristotle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dude ... this ... I ...

Wow.

Fucking awesome. Especially the Scourge.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ What he said.

One of those models where the more I look at it the more I see things I like about it. Love the veins on the wings, the way you seemingly don't seem to thin your paints in places. The way the carapace isn't blended. There's nothing I don't like here.

Bar. Raised.

Beeva can help you get wood!

Beeva's Painting Blog - Dammit Beeva!

Post Thanks / Like
    The lines on the carapace really work nicely, especially on the hive tyrant! That's a beautiful paint job. If someone had described to me the carapace method you've used I would have written it off before I'd seen it, but it definitely works

Those wings really stand out for me. I'll be doing my own HT soon, how did you get the horizontal line effect? Just regular blending? I'll try to do the same thing on mine. If they're anywhere near as good as yours I'll be happy

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    Those wings really stand out for me. I'll be doing my own HT soon, how did you get the horizontal line effect? Just regular blending? I'll try to do the same thing on mine. If they're anywhere near as good as yours I'll be happy
    I think I basecoated the whole wings with a creamy colour then thinned down Mechrite Red to a milky solution and used it more like a water colour - adding areas of increased opacity here and there. Then I washed it with Seraphim Sepia which ruined the whole thing, I could have wept [see the blog]. I managed to salvage it with some Devlan Mud and add in more depth again by applying more in places than other. I then reapplied a little more thinned Mechrite Red, this time in 'banana' stripes to give the effect. I then painted on some blue veins with a cocktails stick for ramdomness and even highlighted the areas where the veins diverged.

After that it was lightening the Mechrite Red, probably with some Bonewhite so it wasn't too cold and tried to thin it so the veins would show through the highlights and look underneath the skin and not painted on top. I can't say I pulled it off 100%, perhaps the second set of highlights prevented that but the effect came out well enough for me to be happy and it works well at a distance so I'm pleased.

Thansk for all your comments guys, appreciate it. Must take some more shots of the Ferron Splinter Fleet.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ What he said.

One of those models where the more I look at it the more I see things I like about it. Love the veins on the wings, the way you seemingly don't seem to thin your paints in places. The way the carapace isn't blended. There's nothing I don't like here.

Bar. Raised.
    Back in the day I used to do a lot of wet blending but never actually finished an army until I noticed my mate was cranking them out with a slightly more 'cel-shade' finish - shadow, base, highlight. So I tried it and painted an Empire Army then stopped gaming. Coming back into it a few years back I managed to adapt that style with the use of washes too. If I'd gone back to wet blending this would never have got done, even so I can't believe I've finished an army, although the brood is still growing...

There is actually some depth in colours going on on the Carapace, especially in the earlier ones as it's an Ultramarine blue washed with sepia and then Devlan Mud - so it has a deep sea blue in it that has quite a range. However, I think as times gone on I have put a lot more wash on and the Turquoise just goes on. I've seen some really neat Tyranid markings but mine get a bit wobbly, but it's a natural growth so that happens - it's one of the reasons I'm not looking forward to my Dark Angels, you can't get away with the natural look on man-made power armour!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    these models are amazing... very well done!

I really like the alien basing style with the muted color scheme you used makes them not only look complete but also does not detract from the overall model in any way.

The models themselves are beautiful. Your highlights are so consistent and the detail work is nearly flawless.

The veins in the wings is a really cool touch. I think you pulled off the look you were going for.

Beautiful work. Really great looking army.

- d4c -

Originally Posted by Architech View Post
    "The true test of power is not in being right, but in making others think you are"

Post Thanks / Like
    In the early days of Hive Fleet Gorgon arriving on Ferron Proxima there was some confusion surrounding some of the larger bio-forms that had descended with the splinter fleet. Various xeno-biologists and bio-magi believed the larger creatures were belonged to the Carnifex family yet some of the more outlandish claims were that these were a 'missing link' an evolved 'proto-Tervigon' that had the ability to spawn the Termagant beasts.

In time these wild claims were borne out. It transpired that Gorgon was once again adapting to it's surroundings, utilising the Carnifex as a chasis for what would later evolve into the Tervigon. It was supposed that in a previous encounter the Hive Fleet had an abundance of these bio-forms and had added bio-matter and symbiotic incubation sacs to upgrade them into Tervigons until it could find the requisite abundance of biofuel to create the Tervigons from scratch.

Despite the different scales between the two beasts there are now clear evolutionary steps evident between the Carnifex - proto-Tervigon - Tervigon and despite the intial confusion it is now clear to see that these beasts are related.

Regardless, these proto-tervigons continue to be seen roaming Ferron Proxima and in slightly different evolved forms across the Imperium. Whilst the bio-magi squabbled and awaited a clear evolutionary apex progentior these proto-Tervigons turned up on world after world. Now that the Tervigon has been classified and catalogued in the Tyranid genepool the proto-Tervigons cannot be dismissed and nor should they be as they continue to fulfil a specific role in the Hive.

To discover more about the proto-Tervigon please point your cogitators to Imperium data file #61Z-5L#proto-tervigon#

23. Like edmundblack liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That is a really cool conversion. In game use as a tervigon presumably?
    Thats awfully tempting to copy since I love the carnifex model, hate the tervigon model and have a battlefield need for far more tervigons than carnifexes.....

Paint scheme is cool as well. Loving the slimed up new born termagant.