Post Thanks / Like

Apocalypse formations deployment issue

After picking up the new Apocalypse book last week I decided to start building a Space Wolves Great Company and was going to have Ragnar in charge and drop pod as much of the formation as possible. I noticed that the rules for deploying a formation is that either everything is deployed or nothing is and you have to take a unit of Wolf Scouts who have no access to a drop pod. It seems odd to me that the rules have made it so you can't deep strike the formation especially with Ragnar in charge.

Was there a similar issue in the old version of Apocalypse or have I just missed something in the book? I'm a first timer with Apocalypse so any help clearing this up would be greatly appreciated.

Never enough lascannons. jago668's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then just don't deploy the wolf scouts.

However if you were playing against me I'd just let you pay 35 points and buy them a pod. I mean hell it's Apoc where you have pizza platters for blast markers that are instant death, ignoring saves. I don't think a drop pod for scouts is going to be overly powerful.

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Post Thanks / Like
    They may not have access to a pod, but if they're like BA Scouts they should be able to infiltrate with a locator beacon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the first point is, it's Appoc. Take what you want. If you have an extra drop pod, it doesn't matter about dedicated transports, it's Appoc, you're supposed to take everything.

If that doesn't do it for you, take a half squad of something else that can get a pod, and stick them in with it.

Please support the Help for Heroes Calendar Girls Project at:

www.h4hcalendargirls.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    There's no way of joining wolf scouts to someone who has access to a drop pod, they can infiltrate but doesn't that mean that you haven't deployed the formation as the scouts would be deployed before the drop pods come in?

The guys I normally play against would be fine with me either not deploying the scouts, letting them deploy before the rest of the formation or using a drop pod. I just wasn't sure if I'd interpreted the rules correctly as it seemed odd that the majority of the space marine formations were able to deep strike in but space wolves can't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two five man squads. One ten man transport. Simples. It's Appoc. Things like that are supposed to happen. It's what Appoc is for.

Please support the Help for Heroes Calendar Girls Project at:

www.h4hcalendargirls.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Found the section in the book with house rules in, and I have to say I'm glad that apocalypse is more fun driven than doing everything by the book. Will have to ask in my local GW if they're happy with me playing the great company like this at their games but otherwise thank you for the help

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't Wolf Scouts outflank off any table edge? They don't really need a drop pod. Although I am not 100% on the new apoc rules, does the formation require a certain proximity to be met?

Cyberpunk Necrons - http://www.40kforums.com/vb/showthre...erpunk-Necrons
    Mutant Rat Guard - http://www.40kforums.com/vb/showthre...tant-Rat-Guard
    Space Marines - http://www.40kforums.com/vb/showthre...-Space-Marines

They say there are no dumb questions. To that I say: "Is this a dumb question?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Wolf scouts do outflank but with the new rules they can't come in out of reserves until after the first break. Plus, with the formation you have to deploy everything at once, so I'd have a 3000ish point great company that I wouldn't be able to use until a few hours into the game. I was hoping to style the company around Ragnar Blackmane as a rapid response relief force so deep striking in after the first break isn't exactly rapid response