Post Thanks / Like

Artillery question.

Basically can you attach a unit to an artillery unit?

One game I played was against Eldar and he had like 20 warriors behind an artllery platform and they were all T7.

This maybe an "Eldar" thing as I don't own any.

I just wanted to know how this would work.

Also if I had an ADF with a QG would the whole unit be T7 (if behind it)?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    How mixed toughness works is that in a squad of mixed toughness, majority toughness rules.

So, for the example of 20 eldar lugging around a bright lance platform, there are 20 T3 models and a single T5 heavy weapon platform. The overwhelming majority toughness is T3, therefore that is their toughness for all purposes.

Interesting side note - if you whittle that squad down to two dudes - an eldar and the platform, you'll have one T3 and one T5 model. In that case, you can take the highest toughness, but ONLY if there is a tie.

See page 14 of the rule book, under the "Multiple toughness values" paragraph.

An exception to this are artillery units. I play orks, and I can take big guns. The big guns are an artillery unit, and the artillery rules specifically state that the entire squad is T7. So, I can take 3 artillery pieces and 12 grots, and all 12 grots, usually, T2, go up to T7, but ONLY for being shot at. In CC, the guns play no part whatsoever, and the toughness is the toughness of the crew.

So, if you were to attach an independent character to an artillery squad, he would gain the T7 majority of the artillery squad.

It comes down to this - is the eldar squad Unit type in question, as defined in their codex, infantry, or artillery? (look up Unit Type in the back of the eldar codex). If infantry, they're just their base T3. If artillery, all crew are T7.

What he was probably trying to do was run 20 guardians with a couple T5 heavy weapon platforms, and say that all the guardians are T5. This is simply illegal.

Guardians are classified as Infantry, and as such they do not benefit from the artillery rule where all crewmen are T7.

Short version: He was either misinformed or cheating.

As for the ADL - even though a squad is manning the gun, they are not part of the gun's crew - and as such they do not benefit from its T7 either. So, no, you cannot have a 50-man guard squad shoot a quad gun and have them all be T7.

Last edited by pattyobrien3; 6th March 2014 at 20:31.
    The Official Ork Forum Pessimist™

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a couple of bits confused here:

If it was a Vauls Wrath Battery, its an artillery unit which means you use the toughness of the guns while at least one remains. But they can only come with six guardians. That being said, you could join ICs to the unit to benefit from T7.

But as you say there's 20 guys in the unit, it must be a guardian squad, which can take 20 troops, and two heavy weapon platforms. However, its not an artillery unit. So you use majority toughness.

EDIT: sniped

Please support the Help for Heroes Calendar Girls Project at:

www.h4hcalendargirls.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ork artillery is good for that. Affix a character to a single big gun and you've paid for an upgrade to T7 until you make combat. Hilarious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah that must be what he was doing.

They should have been T3 instead of T5 (thought it was T7).

Anyway thanks guys I'll let him know next time

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by payneib View Post
    EDIT: sniped
    BOOM headshot.

But yeah, make sure he wasn't running an actual eldar artillery support battery - if he was, this is kosher. But if was indeed running 20 dudes, like you said, then it couldn't have been. The artillery batteries can only have a total of 6 crew per unit, and a max of 3 units. So you'd see 9 batteries and 18 dudes, if it were the actual artillery unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by rapatpamp View Post
    Ah that must be what he was doing.

They should have been T3 instead of T5 (thought it was T7).

Anyway thanks guys I'll let him know next time
    Yeah, at first, I thought the heavy weapon support platforms were T7, but they're not.