Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Knight of the Eclipse manollette's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

MANollette's Paint Blog - Dark Souls Edition

So due to the amount of painting I've been (and will be) doing, I'll be using this thread to track all of my projects. I'll edit posts as I need to, update the thread title with my current project's name, and place a comprehensive 'table of contents' here. Each major project I do will have one page with every photo I have of the project, in addition to my gradual posts with updates. Complete picture compilation pages & links will be grouped here.

So first and foremost is my Space Marine UM Successor chapter:

The Knights of the Eclipse:
    http://www.40kforums.com/vb/showthre...l=1#post794308

Pre-Heresy Alpha Legion:
    http://www.40kforums.com/vb/showthre...l=1#post808923

Pre-Heresy Salamanders:
    http://www.40kforums.com/vb/showthre...l=1#post816871

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	20332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	20333  
    Last edited by manollette; 25th May 2017 at 23:13.

Post Thanks / Like
    This one's my most recent paintjob (just finished an hour ago). I've been busting my butt trying to get my inquisitorial squad done, and so far I'm up to 3 models finished. This one's being run as my mystic, and the flames are actually the first attempt at blending I've ever made.

Spoiler

Post Thanks / Like
    Up next is the other model I just finished, my psyker. Tried to do a gem like some of the tutorials I've seen, but I'm still pretty new to that one too, so it doesn't look quite as natural as I'd like. Overall pretty proud of this one though (double that for the cloak).

Spoiler

Post Thanks / Like
    And finally, my last couple pictures for a while, my Munitorum Priest. Embarrassed to say it, but I painted him two weeks ago, and that was the first time I've ever really tried thinning my paints.

Spoiler

Post Thanks / Like
    First Squad Tactical Sergeant; had to re-assign my old one due to his failure to hold the line, so here's his replacement. Did a bit of a quickie paint job here. Was in a rush to finish up my inquisitor (hopefully he'll be done by the night's end).

Spoiler

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, inquisitor's finally done. Even got the chapter insignia on the cover of the book (really trying to get into doing freehand).

Spoiler

7. Like DrakonTheNightLord liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You're getting there, you really are. Nice striking colours, tidy, attention to detail etc. I'd suggest using more thinner layers of washes instead of fewer thicker ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the response! I'll definitely try it out. I've seen some amazing shading work that I just can't seem to replicate. Guy at my local GW said he doesn't typically water his inks down, but I'll try anything at this point.

Edit: I've got a couple Jokaero weaponsmiths to paint. Basic initial idea was an easy base coat, wash, drybrush, wash, drybrush, then details. I'll try doing the washing in a couple stages and see if it turns out any better. Will post pictures in the next couple days (12 hour grave shifts tonight & tomorrow, so not much opportunity).

Last edited by manollette; 30th March 2014 at 02:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seeing your models close up in photos like this definitely does a hell of a job making the flaws obvious though, I will say that much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Deeply disappointed in myself that these two took so long for me to get around to. Fur and eyes like this are definitely new territory for me, so I experimented a bit. Anyways, here's Albert and Albert II, my Jokaero Weaponsmiths

Spoiler

Post Thanks / Like
    Suggestions are appreciated big time with this one. New sternguard veteran sergeant. I found my inspiration upon seeing one of the hands, and decided that the perfect man to mold my sergeant on would be Sean Connery's character, Ramirez, in Highlander. Molded from his unnecessary pointing gestures as he refers to the Quickening.

Spoiler

Post Thanks / Like
    First completely magnetized Sternguard squad's done. Here's 4 of the models; those are the only guns I've got painted so far. Turns out painting 100+ weapons takes a while.

Spoiler

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    These are looking good, but there are a couple of things I'd suggest looking at: the armour highlights are a bit thick in places, and the eyes could be tidier. Try outlining them with black and a very fine brush, it'd help a lot. Keep up the good work though, they're coming along leaps and bounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again! Lol getting good feedback's turning out to be difficult. I'll see about being more careful with the highlights. Hard at times, as the only opportunity I ever really have to pain is around 10 or 11 in the morning (right after I get off of a grave shift, and am hopped up on caffeine and typically minimal food). Not exactly prime time for steady hands.

I'll have to look into a different brush for the eyes though. Got a rosemary & co brush in one of their smaller sizes that I use for detail work right now, but there's no way it's thin enough to outline the eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take a look at what they've got, thanks. I think those are the guys I order my primer from anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol I assume that's "The Psycho?" They don't give actual sizes. Just weird nicknames for each brush.

Post Thanks / Like
    This one's not actually part of my chapter or allies, but I won't likely paint enough like it to warrant a topic of its own. A friend of mine is running an IG/Space Marine force, and the basic idea he has down for the lore is that it's a chapter and regiment that the Imperium has marked as heretics and traitors, but that is in truth loyal to humanity. The group's research into xenos biology, and in-depth study of daemons and victims of Nurgle have led to its status as excommunicate traitoris.

Those of you that recognize the emblem on the shoulder will get where he's going with it. I look forward to painting Dreadnought Nemesis as well

Edit: Man, the high-res pictures really point out the flaws. Not the best eyes, I know, but I swear the highlights looked immaculate in person.

Spoiler

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think "Guardsman" might be an umbrella term ...

It's a bit stark, however it still works in a "mean looking SS-style black-clad" way. Me likey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, doing black alone isn't something I'd typically go with, but I was told 'as close to the Umbrella uniform as possible.'

And thanks for the advice with the Army Painter brushes - just got the two smallest in and they're great. Going to use them for my chapter master once my Mk II torso comes in