Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pencil Persistence - eb's scribblings

For those of you who remember, for the Challenge in the last quarter of last year I did a drawing challenge where I had to do a drawing every day as I hadn't drawn for a while and needed to do some more. (thread effectively dead now however due to overload of traffic ).

Anyway, I enjoy drawing, it gives me great pleasure to do it and I really should do more of it, but a drawing a day was sometimes more challenging to fit in than it should be. Even so, I would like to continue to do it as it's something I like to do.

So, having given it a rest for a while, I decided to pick up my pencils again and instead of dashing out a number of sketches, work on my observational drawing instead, studying a subject and drawing that over a period of time.

As you'll be able to see, I was a little rusty to start with, but picked up towards the end of them. I then had to stop and work on 2014's First Quarter Challenge instead, so haven't drawn (again) for around a month. Bleh.

Started with a bird I see a lot of around here, and thankfully in increasing numbers (sign of a good ecosystem if the top predators are doing well): Buzzard

Spoiler

Hadn't drawn feathers at all, and for a first stab at it I think they came out OK. Enjoyed it a lot however, so had a go at another one. Took around an hour or so.

Spoiler

That fella's head looks a bit odd, but it's head is disproportionately large compared to it's body as it is a small bird of prey that goes after Dragonflies and small rodents, so has to be small and fast. Would love to see a Hobby in the wild.

Now, if anyone remembers, I was asked by @sneggy to draw his gorgeous dawg Millie, which I did. The end result was OK I thought at the time, but was never 100% happy with it, so I gave it another go:

Spoiler

Moving on, had a go at drawing something with a bit more "action" to it, a Kestrel. See a fair few of these around, doing their thing.

Spoiler

Next up was a bird recently re-introduced into parts of Britain and is doing increasingly well. None around here yet however, but hopefully they will make their way over at some point. Red Kites are strange looking beasties, but gorgeous raptors all the same.

Spoiler

Was so chuffed with how that fella turned out, I had a go at another one.

Spoiler

Buoyed by these and growing in confidence, I decided to challenge myself to see what I could really do with birds/feathers, so had a go at doing a bird I've only ever seen once in the wild, but was such a magnificent spectacle it left a lasting impression of me. Effortlessly gliding over the landscape like a ghost, silent and purposeful, it was absolutely glorious. Barn Owls are just superb creatures.

Spoiler

Next up, another critter that I'd love to see in the wild, but due to pressure from an invasive species they cannot compete. They do however have strongholds in two places in the UK, and long may that continue. One day I will see Red Squirrels in the wild, one day. This one was about four to five hours work.

Spoiler

What I liked about this one was the short shiny fur of the critter, which was time consuming to do, but great fun. Not 100% happy with the tail, but all in all I really like the result.

Last scribble for now, an animal which has been in the press a lot recently, and one which I am definitely on the side of. I have seen these snuffling around in the wild before now, and are just glorious to behold.

Spoiler

Yup, I drew a Mozric. (parallax aweigh! this one is A3 paper, not A4 like the rest so won't fit on my scanner)

And finally for now, my "nice to have" part of my 1st Quarter Challenge this year was to have a go at working up one of my drawings into a painting. As it happens, I didn't fancy working any of them up as I didn't like what I had, so I took the subject of one of them and instead used a different source. This is a photo of the piece not a scan, so might be a bit ... odd. The paper is much rougher than the others, and scanning it picks up the texture not the subject moreso, which I wanted to avoid. This is something I'd really like to be good at, but rarely come up with anything that I envisage in my mind's eye, but will only come through practice. Regardless, this is one of the best watercolour paintings I've yet done. It is of @PyroSikTh 's kitteh Dillon:

Spoiler

I would like to do at least one study drawing a week, and am really enjoying drawing animals, so if all goes to plan, expect to see more as the weeks go along. Thoughts etc, always welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As I said on facebook, these are superb. My mother loves the drawing of millie. I may require a copy for her.

3. Like edmundblack liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    um scanned would be fine if you want to hold onto the original.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'd be willing to let the original go, but wouldn't be willing to let it go for nothing - would like to cover my time, p&p etc. (yeah, I wouldn't object to making some money from this sort of thing eventually ... )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dude, those are fantastic!

I LOVE the dog face, and the flying owl is amazing... very well done, man. I don't know if I would call these sketches any more... you've escalated to full-on drawings.

- d4c -

Originally Posted by Architech View Post
    "The true test of power is not in being right, but in making others think you are"

7. Like edmundblack liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks d4c. I know I can do better still, just a matter of, erm, doing more. Would be nice to eventually start taking commissions as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    EB, those are great. You've gotten the right blend of delineated area and implied space (if that makes any sense). Put differently, you didn't outline everything and color in the areas, but instead built in areas where the edge is not shown, but implied by general shapes. Gotta admit, I'm a fan of Millie, and the watercolor of Dillon is very nicely done. In all the drawings you have brought your model to life. Nice work!

10. Like edmundblack liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tawny Owl (photograph of drawing). Came out OK I think. Haven't drawn in a while, need to get back to it, so considering that, it's not too bad I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    that's gorgeous! Well done, sir

the negative space you left in the body focuses my eye on the head... where detail seems to increase the closer it gets to the eyes. The eyes are amazing.

- d4c -

"The true test of power is not in being right, but in making others think you are"

13. Like edmundblack liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you.

To be honest I just draw whatever comes naturally to try and "describe" it as best I can, I try not to over-analyse it. Ends up a better drawing that way I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    "The artist creates beauty without first knowing why."

I just made that up. I think...

- d4c -

Post Thanks / Like
    These look brilliant edmundblack Keep up the good work.

17. Like edmundblack liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by daddy4count View Post
    "The artist creates beauty without first knowing why."

I just made that up. I think...
    Either way, I like it.

Originally Posted by MurderousMuffin View Post
    These look brilliant edmundblack Keep up the good work.
    Thank ye, Slayer of Innocent Baked Goods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Today's effort is a trial piece, so looks a bit rough in certain areas and incomplete. Am trying to get to grips with a colour technique that I like doing and like the look of. This effort is entirely done with dry-blended pencils. Not too happy with the ears, and the nose looks a little off, but I do like the overall fur effect and how the eyes came out. Thoughts etc welcome.

(photograph of drawing)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    beautiful! love it in color

- d4c -

21. Like edmundblack liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    as far as sketches and drawings I generally prefer black and white... I'm a fan of charcoal and pencil sketches. This really looks good in color though. Brilliant contrast to the (apparently snow) white.

- d4c -

Post Thanks / Like
    Really like the squirrel. These are awesome dude.

24. Like edmundblack liked this post.