Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Combi weapons and MegaNobz

Folks,

Just building my first squad of MegaNobz. I haven't bothered with killsaws, just going for claws.

However I am now building the weapons and am torn with what to build them as....

• Twin Linked Shoota
    • Combi Flamer
    • Combi Rocket Launcher

At BS 2 they ain't likely to hit much so my feeling is probably shooter or Flamer?

What would you build them as?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would almost always build them with combi Skorcha, but it has the danger of wiping out too many opponents before you charge in. Also note that you cannot overwatch with Manz due to Slow and Purposeful rule.
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've mostly played against them rather than using them, but I agree that often the problem with the skorcha is knocking off a couple of guys in the front, making your charge harder. This can often be a problem because in addition to no overwatch, you also cannot run with these guys, so Waaagh!, which is so often very useful in setting up a charge, is useless in this case. All of this often has led megannobz, in my experience, to not getting optimum charges. On the other hand some skorchas are useful for deterring the usual bane of these types of units -- someone using a large unit as a tarpit or to overwhelm their 2+ save with numbers.

The rokkits are too inaccurate, I think. Personally in all-comer's lists I'd just leave on the TL big shootas and maybe magnetize if you can. You might find your meta changes down the road to where you need all of the skorchas or rokkits you can get.

Ann's Imperium: My gaming blog on Wordpress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks folks, sounds like TL Shoota and magnatise might be the best bet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh and I should have said I think i am going to try the 3 x 5 Meganobz formation from the Ghaz book.

All mounted in trukks

Might be a bit of a giggle

Post Thanks / Like
    Might be quite the giggle mipey They deliver a good kickin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I always take one skorcha in a unit of nobz or meganobz. It's enough to soften a charge up without wiping out so many that I can't make it anymore.

8. Like Cap'n Crunch liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by SonsOfStalingrad View Post
    I always take one skorcha in a unit of nobz or meganobz. It's enough to soften a charge up without wiping out so many that I can't make it anymore.
    Sage advice..... I did them with magnets, not happy with my modelling skills but it will work I guess

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, a couple kombi-skorchas at most is sufficient. I think kombi-rokkits are one of the worst upgrades in the codex (it and cybork bodies being the worst 2 by far) - one shot at BS2 is never worth the points on anything in the codex.

But their TL shootas are damn fine too.

I've heard of people taking nobz (or meganobz), giving them all kombi skorchas and just roasting a unit out of a vehicle. Never done it myself, but it does sound like fun.

The Official Ork Forum Pessimist™

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you are going to use skorchas, I agree that one or at most two are probably best most of the time, though the tactic of giving everyone a skorcha can be fun too. Of course the meganobz can't use the flamers in Overwatch, which is a pity. Expensive too, and in the past one tendency I've noticed for my nobz in the games I play (1500 points max) is if I kitted them out too much they turned into a point sink. Perhaps not so much a problem in larger games though. When I do take a combi-rokkit, usually on a biker boss to try and pop a transport so they can charge the passengers, I usually sprung for an ammo runt as well. I don't believe nobz can do that though, unfortunately, though they use to be able to. I remember a guy who used to put an ammo runt on one of his nob bikers in 5th to take advantage of wound allocation shenanigans that were in force at the time.

I agree that a TL shoota is perfectly fine too. And meganobz with the Mad Doc can be funny given that meganobz are almost always going to be outnumbered so Rampage will come into play quite a bit if they make it into CC.

Good job with the magnets. It is always good to keep one's options open in order to change things up so your regular opponents don't get used to you fielding the same thing all the time or when an edition changes. I modeled all three of my meks with magnets even though they always took big shootaz. Now with the new codex you can't put a big shoota on a mek.

Last edited by Ann; 1st January 2015 at 21:50.
    Ann's Imperium: My gaming blog on Wordpress.

Post Thanks / Like
    i find the combi scorcha is fun on biker nobs. great to deter them being charged from blob squads

member of Sac City Punishers
    40,000 points of orks
    1500 space marine
    1500 IG
    2000 Necorons
    1500 Deamons