Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arch DM's D&D and Solus GM's GURPS

Since the original thread was corrupted, I am going to use this new thread to throw everything into one nice and tidy area.

The following adventures take place over Skype calls between a group of friends. Arch has taken it upon himself to Dungeon Master some Dungeons and Dragons for us and I will be Game Mastering some GURPS.

Arch DM's Dungeons & Dragons

Lost Mine of Phandelver

Spoiler

Solus GM's GURPS

Harbringer: The Vessel

Spoiler

Last edited by Solus; 6th July 2015 at 19:33.
    - Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. -

Me: "Moon of my Life."
    Sneggy: "Say it in Dothraki or don't bother at all."

Architech: "You ARE more prone to kill fictional characters than me. On the spectrum you're George RR Martin and I'm Seuss"

BAH! Gaming Tabletop Podcasts
    Formerly Silas

Post Thanks / Like
    Might be worth having a quick summary/description of each above the actual video, that's what I used to remember which one I was on

Edit: maybe the "spoiler" tag?

Salags Paint Blog
    Now with UPDATES!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    wow, I go out of town for a few days and a couple new uploads... guess I better catch up before our next session so I remember what was going on, LOL

- d4c -

Originally Posted by Architech View Post
    "The true test of power is not in being right, but in making others think you are"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Salag View Post
    Might be worth having a quick summary/description of each above the actual video, that's what I used to remember which one I was on

Edit: maybe the "spoiler" tag?
    I'll see if I can get this done at some point, I didn't have time the first pass...

Originally Posted by daddy4count View Post
    wow, I go out of town for a few days and a couple new uploads... guess I better catch up before our next session so I remember what was going on, LOL
    Yeah! Keep up, Dwarf!

A new GURPS video has been added to the main page: The Vessel Part 2 Episode 1

Architech: "You ARE more prone to kill fictional characters than me. On the spectrum you're George RR Martin and I'm Seuss"

Formerly Silas

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by Solus View Post
    Yeah! Keep up, Dwarf!
    I can only do so much on stubby legs!

- d4c -

"The true test of power is not in being right, but in making others think you are"

Post Thanks / Like
    Gurps: Part 2 Episode 2 Added to the First Post.

"Bidding wars go oh so wrong and the elf wakes up from his cat nap at the doctors. Fengrim picks up a side quest."

Formerly Silas

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Would this be an appropriate place to discuss changes to my Battlemaster choices..?

I'm liking Parry, but the other two proved less useful than I had anticipated...

Leaning towards Precision and Menacing attack...

- d4c -

Post Thanks / Like
    is fine with me

Menacing should replace goading....precision is maybe another good option. Parry should stay unless you want to keep your reaction for other shit (OAs or Protection)...if you keep parry, I say drop protection style for dueling or some great weapon...note great weapon style works with the feat well or allows for pole arm bonuses.

dueling if you plan to stay shield. So...do you wanna be soak up damage and output dmg, super tanking by controlling melee enemies on you and off others, or do you want to hybrid some stuff.

-Admin-

LastChancer: "Arch, you are my hero"
    Lemartes: "Arch is truth"

Bah! Tabletop Podcasts: Arch DMs some 5th Edition DnD and Other Gaming too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Indeed, Great Weapon fighting is just a reroll of 1 and 2 on attack... so not that appealing, honestly. While it would come in very handy it's still only going to hit 1/10 times on average... and only when I use both hands. Which I've been reluctant to do as often since that extra +2 AC comes in very handy vs. the higher damage die.

Dueling I think would be more appropriate... so I gain the +2 damage with a one handed weapon.

I've been able to use Protection a lot, but it hasn't been very effective so far.

So I'm leaning towards dropping Protection for Dueling, then dropping Evasive Footwork and Goading Attack for either Precision or Menacing attack and/or maybe Commanders Strike.

Rally would also be handy... since we don't have a lot of healing action in the party.

Tough choices...

And then throw in the 4th level bumps where I am likely ready to take a Feat rather than the stat bumps... but which one is still up in the air, LOL

God bless this game and all the inner turmoil it causes my brain.

- d4c -

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been reluctant to do as often since that extra +2 AC comes in very handy vs. the higher damage die.
    we might be playing in different sessions then

Dueling I think would be more appropriate... so I gain the +2 damage with a one handed weapon.
    it's the best option if you don't want to two hand...if you want to 2 hand, then honestly just giving up shield and tanking with lower AC or other AC options is the way to go

I've been able to use Protection a lot, but it hasn't been very effective so far.
    you have, yeah...but it's still in the reaction pool with everything else you wanna do, and OA's are probably better than other options...especially if you build for it. Become the magnet that attacks that which moves away. Also without the other melee guy, protection is basically useless if you're stuck in and away from the mages

protection is great, but easily outclassed imo

And then throw in the 4th level bumps where I am likely ready to take a Feat rather than the stat bumps... but which one is still up in the air, LOL
    unless you really want the universal +1/+1 then I'd stay feat is your best bet. It all depends on if you have a couple odd numbers in STR or DEX or CON or even WIS. Sentinel, Great weapon or polearm master could be amazing frankly

also a quick search turned this up, I used similar for other classes, it's good stuff and follows my thoughts pretty much exactly http://community.wizards.com/forum/p...hreads/4141981

-Admin-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    LOL

I've cut way back on the two handed attack, but my impulse is still to drop the shield for the higher damage die... And the extra cinematic drama

I will have to check out that link when I get home (work firewall doesn't like the wotc website for some reason

- d4c -

Post Thanks / Like
    I've cut way back on the two handed attack, but my impulse is still to drop the shield for the higher damage die... And the extra cinematic drama
    honestly I'm fine with the tank being a 2-hander, and you should be too...esp if the druid is there. Just go for better armor asap, and maybe hope for a magic AC boost along the way to account for shield. Imo for the most part 5th edition still tends to be...low rolls miss, high rolls hit...regardless of modifiers vs AC...simply because the modifiers tend to start mid to high and not grow toooo much...while AC for you started at the lower end of high and can only go up so much. It's all because we're dealing with lower numbers overall. So...shrugging off most hits with high armor, and ignoring the pain of losing only part of your massive HP pool (hopefully massive)....killing that orc with a single good 2h hit with great weapon bonuses....is better than hitting him 2-3 times and hoping to avoid him hitting back. Defense though obliteration as it were. Again...build to what YOU see your character being, but weapon/shield and 2h weapon are both viable for the armored tank...sadly 2 weapon fighting is just not as good as the other options.

-Admin-

Post Thanks / Like
    Gurps Part 2 Episode 3 Is up!

This can't possibly be a trap, right?

Formerly Silas

Post Thanks / Like
    GURPS part 2 Episode 4 is up!

Round 1, Fight!

Formerly Silas

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I haven't even touched my character sheet... finalized L3 or made any 4th level choices. Need to sit down with Thorlin and have a real heart to heart discussion about what his future holds for him.

I had to go back and catch up on the Gurps, gonna check out the new one tomorrow.

- d4c -

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't even touched my character sheet... finalized L3 or made any 4th level choices. Need to sit down with Thorlin and have a real heart to heart discussion about what his future holds for him.
    4 wants to be ready for the 29th, with an idea of 5th beyond that. Unless...your questioning of the future includes...not thorlin?

-Admin-

Post Thanks / Like
    The Finale for Part 2 of Gurps is up!

"Final Round!"

Up next: D&D

Formerly Silas

Post Thanks / Like
    D&D Part 2 Episode 7 added to the first post!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO8fuClW59k

"Bugbears.. Everywhere!"

Formerly Silas

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4 wants to be ready for the 29th, with an idea of 5th beyond that. Unless...your questioning of the future includes...not thorlin?
    I'm almost ready... just need to pick a Feat for 4th level and update HP and such.

I've lost track of my XP though... I can't find my note pad with notes on it. :/

- d4c -

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by Solus View Post
    D&D Part 2 Episode 7 added to the first post!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO8fuClW59k

"Bugbears.. Everywhere!"
    Finally was able to give this one a listen... have to listen again to play catch up before Friday nights session!

- d4c -