Post Thanks / Like

Help against Dark Eldar

I honestly just can't get them out of their raiders and venoms. My friend fields about six or seven skimmers in his dark elder army. I just can't take enough of them down in time to ever win against him. He can jink against all my powerful attacks like lascannons or missiles without too much penalty to himself as all his embarked true-born and warriors unload a horrifying amount of poison from splinter cannons and splinter rifles. He always has a few blasters too.

The only thing I've had some degree of success with is using flamers because of the 'no escape' rule, it actually is pretty satisfying to pull off. But if I don't land a devastating hit on the embarked unit the skimmer speeds away from my stranded squad to torment me further, because a flamer isn't touching the skimmer itself really.

Otherwise I'm just hopelessly hurling every last bolter round I can at these skimmers that I just cant bring down. I need advice on combating them. We usually play 1,250 points.

Last edited by 6^; 12th August 2015 at 21:06.

Post Thanks / Like
    do you have sternguard? use their dragonfire rounds to deny cover

likewise it's only a couple of hits from almost anything that ignores cover (thunderfire cannon, heavy flamers, close combat.. Venoms and Raiders are only AV10 right?, so charge and slap with krak grenades...)

Armies:
    Chaos Space Marines (Primary)
    Eldar (Secondary)
    & Tyranids (but basically they're collecting dust )
    Grey Knights & Blood Angels (Dabbling with some conversions for smaller army lists / Allied Detachments)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not allowed to approach his raiders to assault them. Despite being AV10 they're quite formidable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, venoms, warriors and trueborn are big assets to the Dark Eldar. Pretty much their only competitive units.

If you have access to it, Predators are terrifying - autocannons and heavy bolters obliterate DE vehicles and their occupants alike.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll give that a try

Post Thanks / Like
    You need more S5 like heavy bolters, from experience as a Tau player with S5 pulse rifles, I get enough shots off to cause enough glances and pens to force him to to take too many jink saves where he will definitely fail enough to get wrecked

"Another Glorious Day in this Man's Army"

Post Thanks / Like
    Things like assault cannons would probably be a great asset - good amount of decently high strength shots. Maybe something like a storm talon - cheap, fast, comes in with a bunch of str6/7 shooting. Fast troops that can get in close and wreck stuff like bikes or assault marines might be a thought as well. Might lean toward the assault marines as they're cheaper and the extra toughness from bikes doesn't help any.

Also, maybe use something as simple as rhinos. Impervious to poison shots, and you can field enough to box him in, and hopefully he'll have trouble taking them all out with his dark lances.

The Official Ork Forum Pessimist™

Post Thanks / Like
    get 3 Stalkers... overkill, but you can never be too careful with the Xenos

or take some land speeders for Skimmer on Skimmer action (they've got access to Heavy Bolters and Heavy Flamers)

Armies:
    Eldar (Secondary)
    Grey Knights & Blood Angels (Dabbling with some conversions for smaller army lists / Allied Detachments)

9. Like 6^ liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be amusing to pull up alongside of a venom with a land speeder storm and give a "broadside" of bolters, and of course the scout sergeants combi-flamer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by 6^ View Post
    It would be amusing to pull up alongside of a venom with a land speeder storm and give a "broadside" of bolters, and of course the scout sergeants combi-flamer.
    ^Yes!

Armies:
    Eldar (Secondary)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Vs any av10 vehicle with a decent cover save it's a case of quantity over quality. Massed are 5-7 will do you more good than a las cannon.

Also go punch them. I know they are fast but by the sounds of it he can just drive away? Play board control, dark eldar have almost zero staying power, so take the middle ground and you cut his manouvrability down considerably, you will find speed matters less when there's only 24" in all directions to the board edge than when you camp your deployment zone.

Make the board small (figuratively), loads of medium strength firepower to force saves, punch it when you get the chance.

13. Like 6^ liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Firstly, a disclaimer: the following advice is based on what you've said he is using, so if the following means that you lose horribly it could very well be that I haven't factored some other units dark elder can make use of into the equation. If you want more accurate advice I'll need to know exactly what he's using.

I'm a Dark Elder player myself and in my experience the worst thing you can do against dark elder is castle up (unless you play Tau) because if you do this they can pick off units as they please and the will run rings around you with there manoeuvrability. As sneggy said go out and punch them because once DE have nowhere to hide, it's game over and as a bonus most DE players aren't used to being attacked as most people will just castle up, so most won't know what to do about this. Also dark elder will have trouble dealing with fliers without fortifications or allies so grab as many of these as you can. The other thing you could do is take the demi company formation as dark elder use high strength lance weapons to take out tanks so rhinos/razorbacks are almost as survivable as land raiders against them. Don't waste points one upgrading weapons unless it is to either a template weapon or something comparable to a heavy bolter, as anything else is just a waste of points. Dark Eldar have a lot of high power weaponry and if they want a unit dead it shouldn't survive the turn, but they are restricted to only being able to remove a few units per turn. The flip side of this is that if you take lots of cheap units you are more likely to be able to retaliate and DE's limited staying power means that if you have anything left to retaliate with you will take them out.

Also what does he use as his H.Q.? because if he uses an Archon you should give a 2+ save to anything that can get it as they have no access to rending or ap2 CC weapons.

So as a recap, quantity over quality, fliers, and despite the natural instinct to castle up against them, go out and punch them right on the nose because most aren't expecting this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Flamers,flamers,flamers, autocannons, some more autocannons and a dreadnought with assault claw and assault cannon.
    As a dark eldar player, I would be very scared of a unit of tactical marines on an objective in cover with a Flamer and heavy bolter.