Post Thanks / Like

Alternative games?

Hi everyone, was just wondering what other game systems people are playing at the moment apart from Games workshop products. I have been considering the X-wing game, as it looks very easy to pick and you can play straight of the box. I am sure i can convince many of my friends even those who do not play any type of table top game. I have also been looking at Warmachine, but i do not know anyone who plays it at the moment.

Last edited by Baragash; 10th November 2015 at 12:11. Reason: Oh gawd, the topic title, the confusion, the children....

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by inflames View Post
    I have been considering the X-wing game, as it looks very easy to pick and you can play straight of the box.
    it's also very good.

Many people play:
    -Infinity
    -Warmachine / hordes
    -Flames of war
    -Malifaux
    -Xwing armada (the large ship version of xwing)

-Admin-

LastChancer: "Arch, you are my hero"
    Lemartes: "Arch is truth"

Bah! Tabletop Podcasts: Arch DMs some 5th Edition DnD and Other Gaming too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Relics by TOR Gaming. I got into this when Age of Sigmar came out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply guys, the star wars game seems like most star wars fans would want to play so finding playing to play would be easy. But i was not to sure on War machine, i see a lot of battle reports on youtube, but all seem to in the states apart from beast of war. So i was worried about finding others to play.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A lot of the time, when you're starting something people don't play, you'll need to do the legwork.
    You will need to find sources, perhaps have two forces for a demonstration, set up days where you'll teach people, encourage campaign running and all that.
    It doesn't matter if the game is new or old - to someone who has never played it, they're all new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by SonsOfStalingrad View Post
    A lot of the time, when you're starting something people don't play, you'll need to do the legwork.
    You will need to find sources, perhaps have two forces for a demonstration, set up days where you'll teach people, encourage campaign running and all that.
    It doesn't matter if the game is new or old - to someone who has never played it, they're all new.

Fair point.

Nearest Deathworld (Melbourne, Australia)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by Architech View Post
    it's also very good.

Many people play:
    -Infinity
    -Warmachine / hordes
    -Flames of war
    -Malifaux
    -Xwing armada (the large ship version of xwing)
    Batman and Kings of War are very popular too, but otherwise the above list is probably the most popular games, that's not to say there aren't other games with a decent amount of traction out there at the moment.

Mantic Rules Committee: Kings of War & Warpath
    If a topic is in the wrong place or has been Necro'd use the report button, don't spam the topic.
    Hobby Blog!
    Painting & Modelling Blog!
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Bolt Action is a fun one

4500 pts - Astra Militarum
    2000 pts - Vanilla Marines
    750 pts - High Elves
    500 pts - Adeptus Mechanicus: Skitarii

Post Thanks / Like
    I love X-Wing and Warmachine. Both are great for tournament setting, X-wing is beautifully simple but with lots of customization. War machine has an awesome rubber banding mechanic (kill the opposing war caster win the game) which helps create some dynamic games

Post Thanks / Like
    I know a lot of guys that have started playing Frostgrave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Flames of War rocks

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been playing Star Wars Armada. It's not as big with the popular crowd like X-wing is. But, i think it has a tad more skill in it than X-wing.

Bacon Fondler Psychedelic Lictor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
    I've been playing Star Wars Armada. It's not as big with the popular crowd like X-wing is. But, i think it has a tad more skill in it than X-wing.
    Out of pure curiosity, why? I have experience with neither but always curious about gaming systems.

Ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken; a lifetime's commitment for a pig.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Psychedelic Lictor View Post
    Out of pure curiosity, why? I have experience with neither but always curious about gaming systems.
    Well, I've never played X-wing. So I cant vouch for it. But, from others I've been told it is. And I like it cause its more of a bigger picture battle than a dog fight battle. Like with x-wing.

15. Like Psychedelic Lictor liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Armada isn't as popular because X-wing had already had a well established player base by the time it was released. And a fair amount of X-wing players (at least around here) see the initial entry cost as 'too high'. Which I find weird, given that every single one of us X-wing players buy every ship we can. Also I believe the average game length is a lot shorter for X-wing than it is for Armada, so that could also factor into it not being as popular. I'd like to give Armada a serious try, but nobody here has invested in it and I'm not willing to shell out money without knowing if I'll like the game or not.

X-wing is a fantastic game though, and I'll argue that it requires a lot of skill to do well in. But in short, I feel X-wing is more tactical while Armada is more strategic, from what little I've seen and heard anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Moodz View Post
    I think Armada isn't as popular because X-wing had already had a well established player base by the time it was released. And a fair amount of X-wing players (at least around here) see the initial entry cost as 'too high'. Which I find weird, given that every single one of us X-wing players buy every ship we can. Also I believe the average game length is a lot shorter for X-wing than it is for Armada, so that could also factor into it not being as popular. I'd like to give Armada a serious try, but nobody here has invested in it and I'm not willing to shell out money without knowing if I'll like the game or not.

X-wing is a fantastic game though, and I'll argue that it requires a lot of skill to do well in. But in short, I feel X-wing is more tactical while Armada is more strategic, from what little I've seen and heard anyway.
    True, i've been told armada has more of a strategy to it. I would love to get into X-wing, but i dove head first into armada and spent too much on it already. I have to carefully spend my hard earned money between 40k and Armada now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Smite and Dota 2 but i got bored of it after so many years, tho. started Warhammer 5 days ago and look good to me!

Post Thanks / Like
    THere is no altrenatives