Post Thanks / Like

The Future of the Tau

One of the things I love about Warhammer lore is that even the good guys are bad guys. I like the Tau, but I've always found them to be "insufficiently grim" (if that makes sense). Warhammer is not a bright hopeful future, it's a grim future that contains only war. I still like the Tau but I'd like them to get more "grim" on them. So this is a future for the Tau that I think would grim them up lorewise. I'm posting it because. Please feel free to share your visions of the Tau, what direction you think would be cool for them to go in.

It turns out the Ethereals actually do have some form of mind control over the other Tau, and it was engineered.

Originally, the Ethereals were a small religious sect that worshiped a power they didn't understand. Their intentions could be either good or bad, but it would be more delicious if their intentions were pure. One day the power spoke back and offered them the power to end the ongoing conflicts and unite the Tau. The unification began, the sect expanded. Knowledge of the existence of the power could be known to all ethereals or only an inner circle. They continued to commune with this power and it revealed the basics of various technologies. The Tau advanced at a swift and steady pace.

Which brings us to today.

The power reveals a better non-warp FTL and technology that enables the Tau to control Tyranids. The Tau begin assimilating remnants of Kraken. Using empire building strategies instead of the normal consume-and-move-forward strategies the assimilated Tyranids expand the empire at an extremely rapid rate though a few worlds are sacrificed as biomass for the Greater Good. The Farsight Enclaves are hard pressed and begin (unknowingly) dabbling in chaos to survive. Given the apparently low psychic potential of Tau perhaps they begin learning to make items not knowing the ultimate consequences. In a moment of desperation, Farsight is fully corrupted by the Dawnblade. The Chaos Tau retreat towards a nearby (on a galactic scale) lesser warp rift.

During the expansion the power reveals it's true nature. It's a severely wounded C'Tan that was thought to have been consumed millennia ago (one as yet unnamed so as to provide artistic latitude). Somehow it survived the attempt though most of it's power and knowledge was permanently lost. It will get a temporary boost from consuming mortal souls but it will never again create black holes to annihilate whole systems. It can permanently restore itself somewhat by consuming C'Tan shards and it consumes several during the expansion. With it's increase in power, so increases it's hubris. It activates the 'hidden catch' that we all knew was there as soon as we knew it was a C'Tan. It begins taking a more open and direct role and behaving more like an old school C'Tan. Perhaps it would take on the Tau equivalent of an angelic appearance and twist words to make it's every action, no matter how heinous, appear to be good. It's engineered influence making the most implausible explanation feel self evident to a Tau. The non-Tau become little more than livestock under a thin cover of propaganda. The Necrons are most displeased because C'Tan and it's eating shards.

The Necrons dig into their ancient lore and successfully deploy a permanent foil for the Tau control over Tyranids. Some Tyranids make it to Leviathan passing on their immunity to the Tau method of control. Most mill around without greater central direction (a side effect of their experience), each local group consuming and trying to build a new hive fleet. The Tau Empire begins rapidly shrinking, the outer ring of their expansion being mostly assimilated Tyranids who are no longer assimilated. Their inevitable demise at the hands of a very angry Imperium and C'Tan hating Necrons is forestalled only by the double edged sword of the now rampaging but dispersed Tyranids. The Tau C'Tan has imperfect but massive cloning and brain imprinting facilities built and begins churning out fully trained and compliant Tau. The entire economy shifts exclusively to a war stance and 1984-esque propaganda celebrates the virtue of the now fully disposable Tau to cheers and applause. We are left with a Stalemate. A blood soaked, Tyranid infested meat grinder of a stalemate that the Tau and the Imperium both eagerly pour bodies into by the truckload along with routine appearances by motivated Necrons, Chaos Tau, and all the usual suspects.

The 40K galaxy. If you touch the stars, you will get burned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eh, I don't really care for arbitrarily darking them up, there's already plenty unpleasant about them, such as 75% of the Fire Caste dying before the age of 20 when they were never given any choice in the matter.

Besides, you need someone for the bad things to happen to. Most of the non-leader members of the human, Eldar and Tau (and some Necrons) factions qualify.

What I'm more interested in with Future Tau is speculating what their next generation of millitary tech would be like. For example, it's been mentioned that they'd like to make Rail Rifles the standard small arms weapon of Fire Warriors, and Shadowsun's Stealth Suit is simply a next generation prototype rather than a long lost relic as with human leader equipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    What pisses me off about Tau is how good they are in the fluff.

Millions of troops fail, like 5mdifferent SM chapters fail, 3 assassins fail, one kills aun'va but that is swept under the carpet in about on sentence.

SM have 10,000 years of tactics, better brains, bodies etc and they are constantly out smarted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Wookie2012 View Post

Millions of troops fail, like 5mdifferent SM chapters fail, 3 assassins fail, one kills aun'va but that is swept under the carpet in about on sentence.

SM have 10,000 years of tactics, better brains, bodies etc and they are constantly out smarted.
    Oh, Space Marines are intensely poorly suited to fighting Tau, is the thing. It's not a matter of their augmentations and decades of experience, but their equipment, general tactical approach and role as a morale-boosting spearpoint for the rest of the army. Marines have a certain role, and it doesn't mesh as well with taking on this faction as it does with several others.

Tau have zero shortage of armour piercing or high strength, high rate of fire weaponry, don't rely on holding ground, are highly mobile and adaptable, and most importantly both their main tactical approaches, Patient Hunter and Killing Blow, lend themselves towards killing the marines first with precision application of overkill.

Nowhere is this better demonstrated than at one of the first Tau/Marine engagements to occur, where a company drop prodded in to a Tau capital city, only to get counter-struck by a massed deployment of plasma weilding Crisis Suits and slaughtered down to a man.

Where Tau would generally fall down is against the Imperial Guard, with their unending horde tactics and ability to force a long, bloody engagement of exactly the type Tau would prefer to avoid.

Main reason they won at Mu'gulath Bay/Argellan? Because breaking the back of the third sphere expansion would have made the faction as a whole less of a threat, right as GW seem to be wanting to dial them up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get what you're saying.... But throughout the two new books, I got bored of the out thinkings of SM being outthought by Tau. I mean, white scars and Raven guard both kicked a lot of ass, and every time they did, they did for a little while then suddenly got massively out bested.

even imperial guard didn't fair well against tau. You kept getting the idea that they were winning.... Then suddenly it's all gone down hill and they're running.

Not as fat as advertised Thatfatguy's Avatar
    Pitsea, Essex, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get what you're saying.... But throughout the two new books, I got bored of the out thinkings of SM being outthought by Tau. I mean, white scars and Raven guard both kicked a lot of ass, and every time they did, they did for a little while then suddenly got massively out bested.

even imperial guard didn't fair well against tau. You kept getting the idea that they were winning.... Then suddenly it's all gone down hill and they're running.
    Tau are the poster children of 'Fool us once, shame on you, fool us twice, shame on us'

When you get a job you don't complete your challenge, when you don't complete your challenge you get punished.

Damn you EB!

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly it depends on the book, there are plenty of Tau getting wrecked stories.

http://forums.relicnews.com/images/userbars/tau.jpg
    "We are tau. We do our best not to commit wanton murder, even in the fires of war. But if you donít mind your place, our options will be limited."
    ~Commander Shadowsun

Bacon Fondler Psychedelic Lictor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a side note, I liked the suggestion at the end of the 3rd dawn of war game where the humans who switched to the tau are sterilised so the planet will lose all human inhabitants.

The darkness is there. It's just under hippy communist guises.

Ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken; a lifetime's commitment for a pig.

9. Like General 40, Graverobber liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Psychedelic Lictor View Post
    As a side note, I liked the suggestion at the end of the 3rd dawn of war game where the humans who switched to the tau are sterilised so the planet will lose all human inhabitants.

The thing is it wasn't done without reason, and it wasn't a publicly known act... But sure beats the other methods for clearing out a population.

"We are tau. We do our best not to commit wanton murder, even in the fires of war. But if you donít mind your place, our options will be limited."
    ~Commander Shadowsun

11. Like Psychedelic Lictor liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is a necro-post, but this thread is still on the front-page since there's not much activity, so I'm going to assume it's okay

Fans should be drawing comparisons between the Tau and humanity during the beginning of the Age of Technology. During that early period humanity was still effectively Warp blind, but achieved a galactic civilization more advanced and more stable than the Imperium. And 10k years of experience for the SMs doesn't really matter since they, like the Imperium itself, has been almost completely stagnant over that period.

I think this is, at least in part, the parallel GW is making with the Tau right now. The Tau represent dynamism in a larger story universe that is stuck in stalemate. Grimdark lovers / noblebright haters predict them to be doomed, Tau fans predict them to save the galaxy somehow (lol), while the objectivists settle in the middle and expect GW probably has Plans for the Tau, involving mounting galactic importance followed by inevitable galaxy-shaking catastrophe. Because that's 40K, yo.

In the fluff, it's established that Tau sterilize and brainwash military and political officials that are opposed to Tau integration. It's also established that humans who truly buy into The Greater Good are left unmolested. Humans, like the other races the Tau Empire has integrated, have plenty of involvement in Tau military. The Tau haven't tried to systemically exterminate the Kroot or Vespid, and they don't intend that for Humanity, either. If a race can be of aid to spreading their ideology, the Tau want them on board, thriving and useful.

It's just under hippy communist guises.
    It's weird that 40K fans think of the Tau as communist when a caste system is in diametric opposition to classless society (i.e. communism), and while the Imperium has military officers called commissars, which literally means 'communist political officer'. Neither the Imperium nor Tau are communist, but Imperium culture is closer to it. Tau are collectivist, but collectivism ≠ communism.

Last edited by cogwheel; 24th December 2016 at 01:17.

Post Thanks / Like
    The other thing to remember about space marines is that they aren't designed to fight wars. The role of a company is to drop in and smash aside the resistance, and bust that bunker, slay the warlord, blow up the power generator and get out. The fighting is for the Astra Militarum to do.

Armies Played:
    40K: Death Guard and Grey Knights.
    AoS: Undead.

Post Thanks / Like
    If Tau make the same mistake as humans....
    They'all have a long,prosperous 'Golden Age', take over the galaxy. Then Psykers will start to emerge.
    And everything goes horribly wrong, another age of strife, then a civil war (Enclaves vs Empire maybe?). And by this point Tau are like "Screw technology, worship Aun'va", so their empire descends into a cult-like religion where any notion of technonological advancement is immediately swept away.

What a bright future

Reminds me of another race I know
    *cough* Imperium *cough*

Post Thanks / Like
    Tau have almost no presents in the warp, psykers are pretty much impossible... By that alone they are far from humans.

~Commander Shadowsun

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Leonix View Post
    Tau have almost no presents in the warp, psykers are pretty much impossible... By that alone they are far from humans.
    So where humans until psychers began poping yup.

Btw, the fait of the Tau is the same as everyone else, either enslaved or destroyed by the Necrons.

'We are the necrontyr. We are legion. We claim dominion of this world... Surrender and die.'

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by nonamewight View Post
    So where humans until psychers began poping yup.

Btw, the fait of the Tau is the same as everyone else, either enslaved or destroyed by the Necrons.
    Even 20,000 years ago the average human had a much brighter soul in the warp.

~Commander Shadowsun