Post Thanks / Like

Need help with starter necron list

I've recently started Warhammer and choose to start with necrons, and got the start collecting box
    -Overlord
    - 12 warriors
    - 1 unit of scarabs
    - triarch stalker
    And i got a box of immortals

But now I'm at a loss for what to get next. Is there anything anyone can recommend getting? Or an army list? Bearing in mind im aiming for an army around 1k points.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure what kind of games you are playing, and thus what your goals are. If it were me thinking in a general purpose beginning way, I think that the Reclamation Legion on p. 62 of the codex is a pretty powerful formation to start out with. You are eight warriors and 3 tomb blades from being able to field this. Also, a ghost ark could be handy as well. It is often useful to be able to transport a squad as well as maybe have the capability to bring back some warriors, who failed their reanimation protocols.

Down the road, you might take a look at the Canoptek Harvest Formation, since you already have some scarabs. I've found that having access to reanimation protocols, especially with wraiths, can be pretty good.

Last edited by Ann; 11th January 2017 at 19:55.
    Ann's Imperium: My gaming blog on Wordpress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Second what Ann said. But the simplest force is another group of Warriors, two Ghost Arks, and a Canoptek Spyder. For small points games where you'll probably just be using a Combined Arms Detachment, it will help. Ghost Arks for mobility/better reanimation, a spyder for some spawning, and the Overlord because you need an HQ, and that's the only good one the Necrons have. RIP Crypteks.

Or...just grab two groups of tomb blades instead of the Arks and watch people throw fits.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm mostly playing objective games. So would you say that getting the necron ark phalanx would be the best thing to get next? Since i'd get the warriors plus the ghost ark with it. Then finish the reclamation legion?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The ark phalanx is definitely a solid choice for a beginning game, but also go for the reclamation legion. That thing is nasty.

6. Like Ann liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently I don't need to put in my two cents, everything above is what I'd suggest. If you are losing a CAD, or have the units (and points) to grips the destroyer formation (though unlikely, damn the model count!) A good heavy hitting squad I think is a Destroyer Lord with a group of warscythe sheilding Lychguard.

Tomb blades are good for grabbing objectives and a full unit of whip coil wraith will tear through most things get in melee (especially if they're part of the Canoptek Harvest).

Also, welcome other necron player, it was getting lonely.

Post Thanks / Like
    For me standard is 2 Bricks of Warriors (2 units of 20), that is solid firepower right there. 40 shots with rapid fire, hit on 3s, and always wounding/glancing on 6s. Pretty solid. And by the time you get through the armor saves and RP rolls, chances are you will only lose a couple guys.

Then 10 Immortals, for sure.

Heavy Destroyers are a must. the extra 10 points over normal ones simply because I would rather take a las cannon with gauss then the weaker gun thats the same as a Annihilation Barge. Plus it seems like people never really think much about them. Keep them at back, 36" range. I try to make sure to have 3-6 Heavy Destroyers in a army.

Another thing, for me personally, I would rather have a doomsday Ark over a ghost Ark. My Doomsday Ark I would simply place in a corner at start that has good line of sight, and you can shoot anything on the table. Str10 Ap1. So if it lands, it will hurt bad. By the time the enemy would usually get to it, I would already be on the losing half of the game. Just varies on how you set up your deployment.

Royal courts are pretty good too. Overlord plus 3 lords and 3 crypteks. You could have 8 HQs in a army. Its expensive but if you give them all warscythes and phase shifters with 5-7 Resurrection orbs, they will be tough to kill with the 2 crypteks you would keep in the back to always give you that 4+ Reanimation roll. And because you have 2, instant death hits won't do a thing. Because the first Cryptek would negate it, so you will always have a 4+ RP roll. So with a 4+ invuln save, a 4+ reanimation roll, along with Res orbs. Pretty solid. Could even throw in a solar staff, orb of eternity, etc. And with Warscythes, Str7 ap2 armor bane. You will go through any armor pretty easy. About the only thing I had a hard time chewing up is Knights and Gulliman. granted they are lords of war, and tough as hell. But everything below that, I eat vehicles.

<---- Washington State Player, Centralia WA