Post Thanks / Like

New here

Hello everyone first I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, with that said I wanted to thank everyone for being so kind and giving me advice this is a great forum. I just recently discovered 40k and man am I glad I did I have been hanging around the local shop watching and learning getting a feel for the game, and now the time has come for me to start my own army. There is a beginners tournament in April and its 1500 points, I am not hyper competitive, but I don't like getting destroyed with no chance either. I need advice on where to start and advice on a army list or anything like that I am still learning the rules but I have narrowed it down between Skitari and Dark eldar everyone keeps trying to convince me to choose anything but them everyone at the shop has marines and tau and a few eldar armies but I like the look of the 2 I mentioned and since I will be painting them and like some of the fluff I'm going between those 2. Any help will be appreciated and thanks in advance .

Post Thanks / Like
    Greetings, you may now surrender and die. The line starts right...about... here *

Anyways. Start with getting the codex for the army you want to play. There's usually detachments and formations in there that act as really good guides for collecting the army. From what I've heard, Dark Eldar aren't a top-tier army, but if you like them then play them, they do well enough, and are pretty mean if you go for the Ynnari stuff. Skitari are good, especially when you mix them with Cult Mechanicus or a Knight.

Really, just play what you like, like you said, you're the one who's going to be painting them.

'We are the necrontyr. We are legion. We claim dominion of this world... Surrender and die.'

Knight of the Eclipse manollette's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not horribly familiar with either nowadays, but seconding the "mix them with Cult Mechanicus or a Knight" bit for the Skitari. They're a pretty bare-bones army on their own.

Post Thanks / Like
    From everything I've ever heard Dark Eldar can be a difficult army to master, but every Dark Eldar player i've known loves them.