View Poll Results: How competitive is the army list below?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 - Tournament ready for any event

0 0%
  • 4 - Tournament ready for local events

0 0%
  • 3 - Competitive for pick up games

0 0%
  • 2 - Standard for pick up games

2 66.67%
  • 1 - Substandard for pick up games

1 33.33%

Post Thanks / Like

[1850] - Khorne Daemonkin - Rate my list - Khorne Daemonkin

Pretty simple question to answer I want to know how competitive you'd find this list as is (no changes) if you had to face it with your best army list. Rate then comment

Comment on the following points
    - Would you win on pure brute strength? rulebook mission objectives? both?
    - Would you need to list tailor to win or can your standard list take it down?
    - What would you find most challenging to deal with in this list, what are you most concerned about?
    - How would you rate yourself as a 40k player on a scale of 1-10 (1 being a Novice brand new to the game, 10 international/global tournament winner (top )

Combined Arms Detachment 1
    HQ
    Bloodthrister of Insensate Rage
    Chaos Lord w/Chaos Bike, Lightning Claw, Power Fist, SoC, Skull helm of Khorne
    Troops
    8x Cultists
    8x Cultists

Heavy Support

Defiler
    Maulerfiend - Lasher Tendrils
    Maulerfiend - Lasher Tendrils

Combined Arms Detachment 2

HQ

Bloodthrister of Insensate Rage
    Troops
    8x Cultists
    8x Cultists
    Heavy Support
    Soul Grinder
    Soul Grinder
    Soul Grinderf

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My standard list eats this alive, you have 8 main damage causers, 6 of which are walkers. The walkers lack any real firepower (by real firepower I will state I recently fought 7 riptides at 1650pts...thats real firepower. You have a few autocannons and a battle cannon. Not scary)

Your obsec units are slow, easy to kill and not going to achieve much except camping on a home objectives.
    Only two units in your list I'm worried about are the bloodthirsters, but they either fly and cant hurt me much or I go first and am more manouverable than them.

Against a competitive shooting list the thirsters have to fly as they die if on the ground. The walkers get immobilised by grav or just straight up killed. Even if a few make it they can only kill one unit per turn and even then only have a handful of attacks to do it with.

Khorne daemonkin play much better with flesh hounds, buckets of them, the lord hangs with them.
    Cultists are ok for objective campers, thats max 2 units. use bloodletters for combat units/deep striking for out of the way objectives as your other troops choices.
    Defilers are straight up bad.
    Maulerfiends are ok, but go big or go home. If I were to do a walker heavy combat army I'd run 6 or none.
    Also as much as the str D axe is nice, its probably the worst bloodthirster. He just doesnt have the survivability to swing it vs anyone who it would matter against. Don't waste that good initiative, just get the regular fighty one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What Sneggy said, plus...

The D-Thirster is honestly a waste. The regular one is fine.
    And if you're running KDK, that means tons of cheap units. Take advantage of BFLBG, and send out cultists and fleshhounds like nobody's business.

For Anti-armor, a Land Raider with Berzerkers inside is fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great input specially the first comment that went in depth. Some questions that went unanswered would you win on brute strength or by beating me on objectives?
    How would you rate yourself as a 40k player in terms of how competent you are. This would help me improve strategy and play.

I agree walkers aren't too hard to take out if you are properly equipped for them, and immobilized results are a fate worst than death for daemonkin walkers that wont grant a bloodtithe by dying.
    Soul Grinders do good anti-air and as counter assault units (that's why I am including them). Phlegm bombardment is good but I want them serving an anti air role/assault role
    Defiler is indeed bad, but it is the most versatile unit and fits the walker texas ranger theme that I'm going for here. That's why I included it.

D-thristers being the worst one? Well that I strongly disagree with, perhaps your experience has been different to mine or those of many others. Before purchasing I did quite a bit of extensive internet research and this is by far THE most highly regarded thrister on the net. As someone that has owned a standard 'unfettered fury' version for over 7 years I have to agree the lost of initiative for the D sucks but the ability to chew through anything is worth it and makes it a lot more deadly.

As for not being able to fight anything that you would want it to fight...that im confused on...In my experience it is quite the opposite and the MATHHAMMER supports it. A D-thrister will EAT knights any kind of knights. Something that the other types of thristers cannot do in their wildest dreams (believe me I've tried). D-thrister will almost always wreck any kind of super heavy vehicle almost guaranteed.

Those are it's real targets, then there's ICs and deathstars. I recently faced Roboute Guilliman with an invisible bloodthrister guilliman wrecked him with some really extreme luck 6 to hit (Strength D) then a 6 to wound. Any other roll would've been a win for the thrister.

Then I used a non-invisible thrister + maulerfiend (lasher tendrils) to drop guillman's attacks and swiftly dispatch him to the afterlife with the mighty D.

I doubt that anything else in the KDK would've been able to take Guilliman down with all those special rules he has and being so good in assault which is what KDK focuses on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by Akaitsuki View Post
    As for not being able to fight anything that you would want it to fight...that im confused on...In my experience it is quite the opposite and the MATHHAMMER supports it. A D-thrister will EAT knights any kind of knights. Something that the other types of thristers cannot do in their wildest dreams (believe me I've tried). D-thrister will almost always wreck any kind of super heavy vehicle almost guaranteed.
    The knight goes first and almost certainly kills you and thats you fighting it in your ideal scenario.

As for me killing it, thats easy. I play daemons I run a seekerstar or screamerstar depending on my list for the event. In both cases I have a 2+ invul and a ton of attacks going before you. Seekerstar on average is putting on average 12.5 wounds on the thirster (if we ignore my characters, thats just the unit) before he swings, all of those are rending. he passes on average 4 saves and dies.....almost twice over. Seekerstar is also significantly faster than him (effective charge of 42".)
    The screamerstar wont kill him as fast but with a re-rollable 2+ invul they will eventually get him (I'm much more likely to cause wounds than you are to roll 6's to ignore my invul and either way you have less wounds than I have screamers.)

That's out performing him at what hes good at. A competent tournament shooting list (riptide wing, war convocation, grav-out battle company to name a few) will kill both thirsters before they get to move.

As for what I'd beat you on, brute strength or objectives. My lists are designed to do both. My seekerstar list would table yours, or at the very least kill everything except the walkers then just tie those up.
    Its also so fast I'll take all the objectives and win on pts.

My competence level is I am currently the #1 ranked player in the UK......

As far as D-thirster being the best bloodthirster, I'd strongly disagree, hes too slow and doesn't have the defence to strike last. Any decent assault unit (which is what he needs to be fighting to be earning his pts back and make your list viable, the D-thirsters are your main hitters) will kill him before he swings.
    Using Gulliman as an example is a poor example, Gulliman isn't a good fighting unit. Hes an expensive single character with a handful of special rules.

On the competitive scene a good combat unit would be something like the BarkBarkstar (40-90 fenrisian wolves buffed to the eyeballs with special rules), Librarius conclave bikerstar/paladinstar in either case they just poke him with a force weapon.
    Heck even Yarrick in a blob platoon would hold him up indefinitely.

The issue isn't so much d_thirsters are bad (though they are certainly not optimal) but that they have to do all the heavy lifting because the rest of the list is poor.
    If the rest of the list was cultists for sacrificing, deep striking bloodletters for objective capping and bullying the backfield. and a metric fuckton of flesh hounds then you might be on to something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't say i've ever faced a 2+ inv unit of seekers ever.

I ran screamerstar though back when it was cool and op right before the codex dropped and ruined everyone's fun.

Can't really comment on how effective those units would be against the bloodthrister did you consider that they would probably need 5s to hit into those calculations?

Btw this is my supporting document regarding your suggestion that the knight will beat the Bloodthrister just because it goes first...i think not. The math does not agree with you on that one sir, which makes me question the math on the rest of your commentary.

http://40kwarmaster.blogspot.com/201...irster-vs.html

As you can see the Thrister has to be hit on 5s which makes it a wee bit tough for the Imperial Knight to actually land hits with it's limited number of attacks. Even on the charge the knight is only landing 2 hits at best etc etc read and see for yourself.

I do appreciate your input and will def have to be wary of large units with invulnerable saves you are absolutely right that I can't expect to land a ton of 6s to ignore invuls. However so far when in close combat guilliman aside Ive noticed most units have issues with just landing hits to begin with and a third of the damage gets ignored by the 5++ (which is not great but def better than not having one)