Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 524
  1. #481
    Rolling an 18 DrakonTheNightLord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Within the Eye of Terror
    Posts
    15,073
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3
    Boreale straps his shield to his back, lights a torch in one hand and holds his sword in the other, and leads the way in.

    My Mod voice is bold. Feel free to PM me if you feel you can help the Forums in any way!
    Your father cheers, your mother cries, that is the lot of the soldier.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #482
    Bacon Fondler Psychedelic Lictor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Lurking in a cherry tree in Japan
    Posts
    1,691
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kash appraised the bulkhead. Test subject 24; size: likely new-underwear-required-enormous; attributes: multiple tentacled limbs likely, and, judging by that roar, a rather large maw; proximity: imminent; situation: time to go big or scarper home.

    He stared into the murky darkness, turned his head and spat to clear his mouth from the fetid feeling even the air possessed. Checking his crossbow, he takes a knee off to one side of the hallway entrance to give him space to roll and dodge.

    'Evalon, come here my friend. I think it is time we experimented a little with your skills.' Despite the fatigue gnawing at his mind, he sensed the effort was required to increase the seemingly slim odds of success. He bent his mind and pushed his concentration harder and tried to cast Speed on the hulking creature. If the elemental could stand the creature's first assaults, and that seemed disturbingly low on the probability scale, it seemed more effective to keep the creature occupied with the hasted bulky form of Evalon than the diminutive dwarf.

    in an effort to draw the creature out, he yells 'Brackish fiend! The name is Kash. I and my comrade Garath have come for you. Our future glows bright with the burning fire of progress. Yours is as black as these waters you haunt. Your kind, relying on primal might alone cannot hope to defeat the blades of science and magic conjoined as one.'

    He paused a moment to catch his breath, trying hard not to gag on the unwholesome air he was breathing before shouting with greater force: 'Quiver beast, for your time has come. Come, for you will lurk no more. Die, for that is all such primal monsters can do.'

    -try to cast Speed on the earth elemental, mindful that the spell components are getting damp and already fatigued mentally
    -take a knee on one side of the hallway entrance before the bulkhead and ready crossbow and bolts
    -send "Evalon" to the entrance to the bulkhead, impelling it to attack hostiles at will

    Ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken; a lifetime's commitment for a pig.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #483
    Not as fat as advertised Thatfatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pitsea, Essex, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    14,981
    Post Thanks / Like
    Garath keeps a tight grip on his weaponry and follows after his erstwhile companion

    1. Help @Psychedelic Lictor
    2. Protect him if possible
    3. Make Calamari

    When you get a job you don't complete your challenge, when you don't complete your challenge you get punished.

    Damn you EB!
    Reply With Quote

  4. #484
    LneWlf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    412
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dairie had not realised how difficult harvesting wood might be...but at least she managed to get some of what she needed. Determined to spend as little money as she can, she heads back out into the woods, looking for a young yew tree that she can fell herself.

    -Head back out looking for yew wood.

    Demons run when a good man goes to war...

    Dileas Gu Brath, Nuli Secundus

    Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #485
    Solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I suggest we proceed cautiously, who knows what this thing is or what lays in wait... or if it's alone."


    - Cautiously move ahead.
    - If i sense/see movement or hear anything.. cover the pendant to block the light.
    - If it attacks.. light up the room and shadow step to safety.

    - Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. -

    Me: "Moon of my Life."
    Sneggy: "Say it in Dothraki or don't bother at all."

    Architech: "You ARE more prone to kill fictional characters than me. On the spectrum you're George RR Martin and I'm Seuss"

    BAH! Gaming Tabletop Podcasts
    Formerly Silas
    Reply With Quote

  6. #486
    Lexius87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,356
    Post Thanks / Like
    once i'm done learning i'll walk around town a bit, mingle make friends and see if anyone could use a helping hand

    "I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things." -Dorothy Parker

    Solus: "Lex has almost single handedly destroyed two of my games"
    DnD podcast with forum members below! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHW...n9QwascLv8gusg
    Reply With Quote

  7. #487
    The Truth Architech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    14,562
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by General 40 View Post
    -Be ready to smash heads as soon as they wake
    Originally Posted by SGS View Post
    -Aim...
    -FIRE!
    -Prepare for them to come to life, and I expect the others to pop up at any moment!
    Your first shot misses, clattering across the stone with a terrifying echo....but your nerves settle when nothing happens over the next few moments. You reload, and take your time to aim. Your next bolt punches through the skull of one of the mummies, seemingly pinning it to the back of the chai behind it. The force of the impact seems to cause the body to slump a bit, unnatural with the head held.

    Nothing happens. It seems you could keep going, potentially crushing each or bolting each...without a problem, so long as you do not cast magic...or perhaps it was failing magic...you do not know.


    Originally Posted by DrakonTheNightLord View Post
    Boreale straps his shield to his back, lights a torch in one hand and holds his sword in the other, and leads the way in.
    Originally Posted by Solus View Post
    - Cautiously move ahead.
    - If i sense/see movement or hear anything.. cover the pendant to block the light.
    - If it attacks.. light up the room and shadow step to safety.
    As you enter the cave, torchlight licking across the stones around you, the pendant begins to pull. It rises up, not quite parallel with the ground. However in the cave...and any tunnels beyond...it seems as though it will point to your quarry but not the right path to get there. In the dark, the liquid within is hard to see. The torchlight flits across it, revealing the bubbling ink-like substance within the crystal. The cave, mostly just a passage through two overhangs of rock, now opens up to a small cavern, perhaps forty feet wide and deep. There seems to be a hole or crevice at the far end, something you could lower into and push through. At the center of the room is a mound. In this light it is hard to make out without being closer. It does not look like the leavings of some beast, but rather a stack of something approximately two feet tall with bits and pieces sticking out....almost like a cairn or grave marker...or a totem of sorts.


    Originally Posted by Psychedelic Lictor View Post
    -try to cast Speed on the earth elemental, mindful that the spell components are getting damp and already fatigued mentally
    -take a knee on one side of the hallway entrance before the bulkhead and ready crossbow and bolts
    -send "Evalon" to the entrance to the bulkhead, impelling it to attack hostiles at will
    Originally Posted by Thatfatguy View Post
    1. Help @Psychedelic Lictor
    2. Protect him if possible
    3. Make Calamari
    The elemental rumbles through the opening, squeezing through and splashing into the water beyond. Its massive arms swing as it walks, the water splashing around its center with every step. You can see where a side alcove or room most likely reveals another valve. The elemental slams at the water, and you see that it is attacking another tentacle thing. It beats back at the writhing arm, pushing against it and deflecting heavy blows. The elemental seems to be winning, in so much as it is pushing the thing back and gaining ground. It reaches the alcove and brings both arms down in a massive slam against its enemy. At that very moment, and massive black shape of writhing mass, flies out of the alcove at incredible speed. The elemental is lifted out of the water, and in the blink of an eye, everything is gone. A moment later, Kash feels the magical connection sever.


    Originally Posted by LneWlf View Post
    -Head back out looking for yew wood.
    You have some luck, and find a suitable yew relatively early in your explorations. The wood proves relatively difficult to harvest, but you manage to salvage some.

    +8 yew


    Originally Posted by Lexius87 View Post
    once i'm done learning i'll walk around town a bit, mingle make friends and see if anyone could use a helping hand
    It seems that the main bustle around the village is some sort of ball. The fairies seem far more excited about it, while the Folk seem to just be acknowledging it. When you ask, you find it has something to do with the Court. Outside visitors will be pouring in to visit the palace for the ball...which for the fairies is a big deal. It is also a big deal for the Folk, but those that live here are more humble villagers. Rather than the ball at the Court, they will attend local forest festivals (think Japanese Festival rather than French nobility masquerade thing like at the palace).

    -Admin-

    LastChancer: "Arch, you are my hero"
    Lemartes: "Arch is truth"

    Bah! Tabletop Podcasts: Arch DMs some 5th Edition DnD and Other Gaming too!
    Reply With Quote

  8. #488
    War lizards! General 40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hive Feet Scotland
    Posts
    2,542
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5
    "Save your ammo, but keep an aim on them, I got this" said Torbac as he made sure to finish the work, there was no point in taking risks and the professor didn't need to know about this.

    -Crack all their heads open
    -Lets explore more of this place while marking the way we go, there might be more mummies

    "My Lord! We're surrounded!!"
    "Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction"


    sneggy: no one is ever really the same
    DrakonTheNightLord: This fucking post... priceless
    GrrHero: General 40 and Draken are reason enough to play this game. You guys are hilarious.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #489
    LneWlf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    412
    Post Thanks / Like
    -Attempt to make Hoodo Spell Components with the materials I have. Then take them to the Mage Guild and see if anyone is still interested in buying them.

    Demons run when a good man goes to war...

    Dileas Gu Brath, Nuli Secundus

    Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #490
    Rolling an 18 DrakonTheNightLord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Within the Eye of Terror
    Posts
    15,073
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3
    Boreale inspects the mound, trying to recall anything he knows about the culture that may have built it.

    My Mod voice is bold. Feel free to PM me if you feel you can help the Forums in any way!
    Your father cheers, your mother cries, that is the lot of the soldier.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #491
    Bacon Fondler Psychedelic Lictor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Lurking in a cherry tree in Japan
    Posts
    1,691
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kash blinked and felt the cold fingertips of fear begin to slide over his heart. He looked at the dwarf, his friend Garath, and then at the incredibly fast creature that had ended Evalon so abruptly. Swift computation indicated that escape would be impossible against a being with such acceleration and velocity; not without a sacrifice. He looked at Garath again. He had been prepared to run before, but now... Kash reflected he had little in life save for a few trinkets, and his word of honour. He had always considered the former as expendable on the path of ambition. The latter was not.

    He swallowed hard, and despite the tremor in his muscles, willed himself forward. A half-step at first, and then another, and then another more purposeful step till he was striding forward and placing himself between the fiend and his ally. He would not break his word. Despite himself, the insanity of the situation pushed a grin onto his face. He only had a few trinkets after all. Though one of those trinkets was a golden hour glass. He raised it now, its purity glinting amongst all this filth, as he began the incantation.

    -Try to cast hourglass on the creature
    -If it fails, proceed to wet pants and then fire crossbow shots while giving a warcry that comes off more of a shriek than a shout.

    Ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken; a lifetime's commitment for a pig.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #492
    Solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drunos will keep to the edges of the cavern, circling the mound rather than approaching it. Keep an eye on it, Boreale, and for signs of movement, slowly edge towards the hole at the far end of the cavern.

    Keep chains at the ready, then shadow step.

    - Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. -

    Me: "Moon of my Life."
    Sneggy: "Say it in Dothraki or don't bother at all."

    Architech: "You ARE more prone to kill fictional characters than me. On the spectrum you're George RR Martin and I'm Seuss"

    BAH! Gaming Tabletop Podcasts
    Formerly Silas
    Reply With Quote

  13. #493
    The Truth Architech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    14,562
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Psychedelic Lictor View Post
    -Try to cast hourglass on the creature
    Just for the record...you will need line of sight. So you can prep, but you still have to see it to trap it.

    -Admin-

    LastChancer: "Arch, you are my hero"
    Lemartes: "Arch is truth"

    Bah! Tabletop Podcasts: Arch DMs some 5th Edition DnD and Other Gaming too!
    Reply With Quote

  14. #494
    Bacon Fondler Psychedelic Lictor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Lurking in a cherry tree in Japan
    Posts
    1,691
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prep that puppy and ready to go...might give me a slight bonus to offset mental fatigue too which can't be bad.

    Ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken; a lifetime's commitment for a pig.
    Reply With Quote

  15. #495
    SGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In darkest Nightmare, and brightest Dream
    Posts
    4,943
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Six missing...stay alert." Tarrik follows Torbac throughout the ancient structure, keeping on the alert but also stopping his comrade as they come to splits and intersections so that he can properly mark them with his chalk.




    -Lock and load, on we go.
    -Keep marking the place so we A) have an idea where we were before and B) Know the way out if things go down again.

    The day will not save them. And we own the night.

    Arch:
    If hope were short buses we could drive straight to the special olympics.

    Power Corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
    Reply With Quote

  16. Like General 40 liked this post.
  17. #496
    Lexius87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,356
    Post Thanks / Like
    getting excited at the sound of the festival, kara offers to help the locals with theirs, as that sounds way better then a stuffy masqeruade

    "I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things." -Dorothy Parker

    Solus: "Lex has almost single handedly destroyed two of my games"
    DnD podcast with forum members below! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHW...n9QwascLv8gusg
    Reply With Quote

  18. #497
    The Truth Architech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    14,562
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by General 40 View Post
    -Crack all their heads open
    -Lets explore more of this place while marking the way we go, there might be more mummies
    Originally Posted by SGS View Post
    -Lock and load, on we go.
    -Keep marking the place so we A) have an idea where we were before and B) Know the way out if things go down again.
    You easily smash the rest without incident, and continue on into the depths of the place. The corridor continues forward out of the room. No longer does the tunnel slope gradually downward, at least not that you can perceive. Ahead the tunnel opens into a room. you approach slowly, letting the torch illuminate the features of the place. Just inside the doorway arch, you find a pair of braziers, their metal banding cold and dusty. Stacked within each is a neat pile of coals. The torch also illuminates some of the rest of the room...which is a massive hall, the ceilings of which are invisible to you from here. The far end, as well, is out of sight. But to either side of a central path, the room is full of people. Clay or stone statues of people stand in perfect lines, filling the floor space.


    Originally Posted by LneWlf View Post
    -Attempt to make Hoodo Spell Components with the materials I have. Then take them to the Mage Guild and see if anyone is still interested in buying them.
    Spell Craft (Preparation): 16, High Success
    Spell Craft (Components): 55, Success
    Spell Craft (Components): 53, Success
    Spell Craft (Components): 36, Success
    Spell Craft (Components): 43, Success
    Spell Craft (Components): 45, Success
    Spell Craft (Completion): 41, Success

    +30 Hoodoo Spell Components

    Selling: +400n


    Originally Posted by DrakonTheNightLord View Post
    Boreale inspects the mound, trying to recall anything he knows about the culture that may have built it.
    Originally Posted by Solus View Post
    Keep chains at the ready, then shadow step.
    Lore Check: 1

    The first thing you notice, is that it does not appear to be old. It is not a dust covered or worn away monument to some. You do not recognize it as any particular culture or warrior lodge markings. You move the torch to catch the light on different features. It appears to be made of some sort of quasi-melted stone with glazed edges and murky glass like facets you cannot see through. Sticking out like effigies are bones, the bones of a large bear. This definitely seems like some organically created cairn, formed like the chrysalis of a large insect, and it radiates evil.

    You suddenly remember a story from a warrior you once met. He wore the furs and vestment of a northern tribesman. His story was one of those primitive tales about the end of days, the world reckoning. You are not certain why this occurred to you, other than one thing the man said, "The beast would rise and craft its throne from the tattered remains of the Bear," he had been referring to his own tribe, but the bones are an eerie reminder of a tale of death and despair.

    The hole seems to be a crack where the stone of the cavern has been split apart by ancient forces. It appears to be a steep climb down which will force some squeezing. Deep gouges in the stone, fresh lines in the earthen tunnel, indicate something with claws went this way.



    Originally Posted by Psychedelic Lictor View Post
    -Try to cast hourglass on the creature
    -If it fails, proceed to wet pants and then fire crossbow shots while giving a warcry that comes off more of a shriek than a shout.
    You step through the bulkhead and lower into the water, subtle ripples carrying out from you across the inky surroundings. You move forward slowly, any thought of shooting the thing drowned under the weight of your attempt to stop it. Ahead on the right is the room, presumably containing a valve for this area. To the left...the creature lurks. It would no longer be distracted by its kill, as the elemental would not satiate hunger or interest. There is an odd clicking, chirping sound, and then the water explodes up as the creature bursts from the side alcove, tentacles thrashing. You are hurled away as tentacles lash out before you can react. You see only the dark mass and brutal beak as you fly back into the water, the hourglass falls from your hand.

    Your hands search frantically around you as the beast closes in, but you cannot find the thing. You pull the second one from your belt holding it above the water, and throwing up the needed components as you scramble backwards. The hourglass disappears from your hand as the energy appears around the creature, and it stops midair before you. You continue backwards, gaining better footing and looking at the creature. It is a massive octopus or squid-like thin with a sleek head and terrible beak surrounded by dozens of tentacles of various sizes. The thing becomes a ball of furious anger and frenzy as it writhes about and slams into the 'glass'.


    Originally Posted by Lexius87 View Post
    getting excited at the sound of the festival, kara offers to help the locals with theirs, as that sounds way better then a stuffy masqeruade
    Marm Espin seems to be making various banners and ribbons, and despite her size she is incredibly fast with her work. The more local faeries, mostly a few pixies and a brownie or two, are hanging pinecones about. Children are gathering jars of fireflies and arranging flowers. You begin helping with general decorations, eventually getting roped into arranging gourds in places the children cannot reach...thus making the pixies jealous that you can reach things without flying; the brownies have simply disappeared from the working areas. The otter from your first day is putting out round bowls with plump goldfish swimming within and several mice are making festive strands of seeds...nope, they are eating those...those might not be Folk, those might just be mice. You step up on a box to hang a lantern on a long nail sticking out from a post, and something catches your eye amongst the festive chaos of the decorating. It is a large black dog at the tree line across the small stream that bounds the village. You look for a moment, as the big hound sits there, but as you check your balance and look back, then animal is gone.

    -Admin-

    LastChancer: "Arch, you are my hero"
    Lemartes: "Arch is truth"

    Bah! Tabletop Podcasts: Arch DMs some 5th Edition DnD and Other Gaming too!
    Reply With Quote

  19. #498
    Rolling an 18 DrakonTheNightLord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Within the Eye of Terror
    Posts
    15,073
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3
    OOC: @Solus , I intend on casting this:


    -Legend: Reveals the history and powers hidden within an item or being. Wizards can use this magic to discover the lore of ancient weapons forged in magic or to learn of unknown beasts. Cost: Spell Components x5

    On the cairn to get more information, but it has a high spell component cost. Worth it? What do you think?

    My Mod voice is bold. Feel free to PM me if you feel you can help the Forums in any way!
    Your father cheers, your mother cries, that is the lot of the soldier.
    Reply With Quote

  20. #499
    Solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by DrakonTheNightLord View Post
    Worth it? What do you think?
    From my talking with our glorious overlord, i gather unless you super crit the spell as well.. you won't gain much more on THIS particular creature. Future endeavors, beasts, items will have more luck.

    So... IC:


    "Our two options are to lay a trap here and await it's return... or follow it into the abyss and fight it elsewhere. What say you, knight?"

    Last edited by Solus; 20th July 2017 at 01:08.
    - Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. -

    Me: "Moon of my Life."
    Sneggy: "Say it in Dothraki or don't bother at all."

    Architech: "You ARE more prone to kill fictional characters than me. On the spectrum you're George RR Martin and I'm Seuss"

    BAH! Gaming Tabletop Podcasts
    Formerly Silas
    Reply With Quote

  21. #500
    War lizards! General 40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hive Feet Scotland
    Posts
    2,542
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5
    Onwards! Carefully and at a good pace.

    -Check for traps as I go (obvious pressure plates etc)
    -Keep an eye out for movement and make sure the people lining the hall don't move

    "My Lord! We're surrounded!!"
    "Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction"


    sneggy: no one is ever really the same
    DrakonTheNightLord: This fucking post... priceless
    GrrHero: General 40 and Draken are reason enough to play this game. You guys are hilarious.
    Reply With Quote

Similar Threads

  1. Hunters of Nyrr: Worlds Gate--Paused
    By Architech in forum Active Games
    Replies: 319
    Last Post: 6th October 2012, 13:20
  2. Hunters of Nyrr II: Worlds Gate
    By Architech in forum Games Discussion
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: 11th August 2012, 22:24
  3. Hunters Of Nyrr: End of Part One
    By Architech in forum Archived Games
    Replies: 711
    Last Post: 26th December 2011, 18:28
  4. Hunters Of Nyrr: End of Part One
    By Architech in forum Active Games
    Replies: 711
    Last Post: 26th December 2011, 18:28
  5. Hunters of Nyrr
    By Architech in forum Games Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 21st November 2011, 07:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Today’s Posts | Search Warvault Webring
An exclusive design by: ForumSkin