Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well 1st game done and I'm underwhelmed. The highlight or lowlight really seams to be what I'm calling the finger of death mechanic.

1st turn assault marines land and charge a predator - minimal damage next turn the press crew are all "fuck no they scratched the paint" basically they can sit and ignore the assault marines and do nothing or move away from the assault marines and do nothing....

Whole heap of other issues in the rules (bypassing overwatch etc) but this one really killed it.

The moral is remember all that "rules bloat" you stripped out GW? Yeah that shit actually did something.

I was honestly pumped for the slick rules of 8th but they just aren't doing it for me at the moment. I'll power through a few more games to see if it was a fluke but that was the 1st game of 40k I was genuinely uninterested in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    vehicles and elite units are designed to be a scarcity now, supported with basic bods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I'm liking 8th quite a lot, more than any past edition I played. I think there are some balance concerns, as always, but not as many as I'm used to and most of them can be resolved by expanding the missions that come in the Core Rules, i.e. Maelstrom. Should be a good edition for competitive play.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by SonsOfStalingrad View Post
    vehicles and elite units are designed to be a scarcity now, supported with basic bods.
    Which is a bit of a problem for more elite armies, Necrons for example only have 2 troop choices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by nonamewight View Post
    Which is a bit of a problem for more elite armies, Necrons for example only have 2 troop choices.
    What does that have to do with anything? Orks only have two troop choices, but I doubt anyone would say that they are an elite army.

Last edited by Tahaal; 11th July 2017 at 10:23. Reason: troops, not elites
    The Eternal Lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yup, Elites are sure rare all right. You don't get much bang for your buck with either Deathwatch, Grey Knights, Eldar or Space Marine Bikes. :/ Oh well, adversity is part of the fun, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Tahaal View Post
    What does that have to do with anything? Orks only have two elite choices, but I doubt anyone would say that they are an elite army.
    How does this statement make sense? You're absolutely right, no one would say orks are an elite army since they don't have a lot of elite choices. My comment was on how elite units and vehicles are now a rarity, which has a lot to do with the post I was responding to.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know what also only has two troops options now? Imperial Guard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone knows there's "other" FOCs now right?

Guard will probably be using spearhead (at least mine will).

My BA run either a combo of patrols, or what ever the middle one is with three extra command points.

I've put together an all flyers list with two air wings.

To run a knight army it has to be a super heavy detachment.

I'm even planning to plop a single Warhound on the table as an army on its own using the Lord of war detachment.

The sky is not falling. Even if an army only has a single unit choice, it can still be used.

Please support the Help for Heroes Calendar Girls Project at:

www.h4hcalendargirls.blogspot.com

10. Like Ann liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Overall I'm liking it having played a few games with the nids and orks now. Really it's just coming down to adapting to things like I've now found that genestealers really aren't as good as vehicles now as that lucking rending hit just hurts it a bit more now rather then wrecking it, elite units just look at the morale phase and kind of shrug at it and grots getting +1 to hit are surprisingly quite good.

My biggest problem is having to get used to things working slightly different now e.g. you advance during movement, not during the shooting phase, LD tests during morale are 1d6, not 2d6, 2+ to wound only on double toughness etc. Having certain things engraved in your head for almost 2 decades takes some time getting out of it seems.

Dark Lord, owner and creator of the Arena of Death.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
    Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.
    Orks, Tyranids, Skinks, Skaven, Cryx, Cygnar

Bacon Fondler Psychedelic Lictor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does it seem like people coming into 8th from 7th are feeling overall (and I stress that word, not all sunshine and rainbows as with any gaming system) positive, with people drawn back from prior editions a bit more tentative?

Ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken; a lifetime's commitment for a pig.

Post Thanks / Like
    How does this statement make sense? You're absolutely right, no one would say orks are an elite army since they don't have a lot of elite choices. My comment was on how elite units and vehicles are now a rarity, which has a lot to do with the post I was responding to.
    I meant troop choices, slipped elite in instead. I just meant how does the number of different troop choices create a problem? And I used Orks as an example since they too have only two troop choices, but no one would call them an "elite" army.

My apologies for not proofreading that, and ignoring it for a couple of days.

The Eternal Lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    My custodes have pistol 2 and with pistols you can ALWAYS overwatch against enemies, and always shoot in the shooting phase in and out of combat with pistols. Its taking some use to but its worth utilizing pistols whenever you can

<---- Washington State Player, Centralia WA

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm playing my first game tomorrow. Reading through the indexes and core rules I'm pretty excited about the changes that have been made. Seems like everything will be faster and bloodier than before...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Tahaal View Post
    I meant troop choices, slipped elite in instead. I just meant how does the number of different troop choices create a problem? And I used Orks as an example since they too have only two troop choices, but no one would call them an "elite" army.

My apologies for not proofreading that, and ignoring it for a couple of days.
    That makes more sense.

All I meant is that things may start to look a little... bland with armies only having a couple of troop choices, with elites and vehicles being a rarity. I didn't mean a problem game wise.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion it's not that elites will be rare it's that they need to be supported and used to their strengths, instead of being thrown into the closest thing like a blunt object.

It's also worth noting that battlefield role does not define a units usability. Custodian Guard are a troops choice, but they are an elite unit.
    Necrons have non-troops units that can do as good or better than their troops at basic infantry roles. Flayed Ones, and Scarabs come to mind.

Last edited by Nikolai; 16th July 2017 at 02:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just played 3 games, lost two and won one. Overall, I think the gameplay was pretty fluent and sufficiently straightforward, not counting the fact that I had to constantly reference the indexes as I'm still a bit new with army-specific rules. Tanks seem to be a lot more useful now and I couldn't really get much use out of smaller squads of troops. I will definitely have to rethink my lists now and respect them to the new rules.. Overall I think the changes have been positive though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by aargh View Post
    Just played 3 games, lost two and won one. Overall, I think the gameplay was pretty fluent and sufficiently straightforward, not counting the fact that I had to constantly reference the indexes as I'm still a bit new with army-specific rules. Tanks seem to be a lot more useful now and I couldn't really get much use out of smaller squads of troops. I will definitely have to rethink my lists now and respect them to the new rules.. Overall I think the changes have been positive though.
    Interesting, I found the opposite true of tanks, that they are less useful now they have to run and hide from a gretchin or risk spending the whole game stunlocked. New ultramarine rules sort that out though although I'd have preferred it as a core rule and not be forced into taking ultrasmurfs over my regular salamanders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tanks are fine. They just need bubble wrap. If you can't get to the tank you can't lock it in combat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
    Tanks are fine. They just need bubble wrap. If you can't get to the tank you can't lock it in combat.
    Exactly. Less useful as they need a babysitter. Fine for guard but less so with the points heavy marines. On its own it's not so much of an issue as you can use a battle line as a screen but with how deepstrike works a drop charge is quite feasible.