Post Thanks / Like

ATC Results

Heading back from my second trip to the Warhammer 40k American Team Championship in Chatanooga, TN. What a blast. We got 6 great games in, drank beer in the parking lot between rounds, and met some great people. I highly recommend going if you can.

ATC summary:

So I played 6 rounds with a 4 Renegade Knights list.

Rd 1 vs AM with conscripts, plasma scions, wyverns, manticores, and hellhounds. Killed everything but the conscripts, won kill points gave up objectives. Won 11-7

Rd 2 vs Knights and Magnus
    Magnus killed a knight a turn until my opponent fluffed a series of rolls and I tabled him. Won Relic, couldn't get objectives. Won 10-1

Rd 3 vs Tyranids with a harpy, mawlocs, trygon, swarmlord, tyrant, genestealers. Big guys deep striked near me, swarmlord failed to kill a knight, i tabled him after that. Won 19-0

Rd 4 vs Double stormsurge Tau
    Wasn't even close, seemed like a novice player. Won 18-0

Rd 5 vs Admech and Deathwing Knights
    Close fight. But In the end I tabled him with 2 wounded knights left. Won 20-0

Rd 6 vs Admech with 12 robots
    I cornered him early and ground him down. Tabled for a 20-0 win.

Rd 5 and 6 were butt pucker fights for a bit but ended in big blowouts. Overall I went 6-0. I had 98 points out of 120. Finished around 22-25 out of 300 in individual points. Our team went 2-2-2 and finished 29 out of 60. We had a blast and met some really good people. Every one of my opponents was an excellent sportsman.

The only Forum Zombie Angelofblades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    nice! I was following the progress friend of mine who also went to ATC. He ran something like 121 brims, 12 flamers, belakor, changeling, scribes etc. I think he finished 8th overall. What did your team finish?

Good judgement comes from experience, alot of that comes from bad judgement
    [quote="Tahaal"]And AoB, git ova' 'ere. I want to make love to you.
    [quote="The_Peacemaker"] Everytime he uses it I look away.
    [quote="LT Claws"]EDIT: Dude Angelofblades you said it all. You=Awesome
    [quote="spruecutter"]may whatever diety you worship bless you AoB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Team Huckleberry finished 29th

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a good time! Glad to hear it.

- Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. -

Me: "Moon of my Life."
    Sneggy: "Say it in Dothraki or don't bother at all."

Architech: "You ARE more prone to kill fictional characters than me. On the spectrum you're George RR Martin and I'm Seuss"

BAH! Gaming Tabletop Podcasts
    Formerly Silas

The only Forum Zombie Angelofblades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    what knights did you use?

Good judgement comes from experience, alot of that comes from bad judgement
    [quote="Tahaal"]And AoB, git ova' 'ere. I want to make love to you.
    [quote="The_Peacemaker"] Everytime he uses it I look away.
    [quote="LT Claws"]EDIT: Dude Angelofblades you said it all. You=Awesome
    [quote="spruecutter"]may whatever diety you worship bless you AoB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stormspear, battlecannon, sword
    Stormspear, thermal cannon, sword
    Stormspear, Avenger cannon, sword
    Stormspear, avenger cannon, sword

We had an absolute blast the whole time. They forgot to add my last 20 points to the individual total so I might have even won best Knight player. I forgot the name of the guy that won best Knights or I'd look it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    to me, all this suggests is that the new edition is not balanced as they claimed it was just because anyone can hurt anyone now. Those scores are incredibly one-sided.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a tournament, your opponents should have expected such a list, but it does seem to be contrary to the suggestion the game magically became fair with 'hurt anyone on a six'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by SonsOfStalingrad View Post
    to me, all this suggests is that the new edition is not balanced as they claimed it was just because anyone can hurt anyone now. Those scores are incredibly one-sided.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a tournament, your opponents should have expected such a list, but it does seem to be contrary to the suggestion the game magically became fair with 'hurt anyone on a six'.
    I don't think they ever suggested that just changing the SvT table was going to be the thing to do it all. Rather, extensive playtesting and (more importantly) far more frequent FAQs and a yearly Chapter Approved were going to be what makes the game far more balanced then it's probably ever been.

The Eternal Lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Tahaal View Post
    I don't think they ever suggested that just changing the SvT table was going to be the thing to do it all. Rather, extensive playtesting and (more importantly) far more frequent FAQs and a yearly Chapter Approved were going to be what makes the game far more balanced then it's probably ever been.
    In fairness SOS has a very valid point. None of those games were close. Balance is clearly still a perennial issue for the game which begs the question what was the point in 8th if it hasn't fixed a thing? It's been out just a few months and is clearly just as, if not more, gamable than its predecessor. I would be interested to hear how the games ran in terms of speed and rules quirks.

10. Like SonsOfStalingrad liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Morr View Post
    In fairness SOS has a very valid point. None of those games were close. Balance is clearly still a perennial issue for the game which begs the question what was the point in 8th if it hasn't fixed a thing? It's been out just a few months and is clearly just as, if not more, gamable than its predecessor. I would be interested to hear how the games ran in terms of speed and rules quirks.
    A little anecdotal to take one persons result and extrapolate it out to a systemic balance issue. That said, I'm not going to defend the game as perfect. But I'm happy with the changes they made, and more importantly, the changes they promise to make. Take the recent FAQs, for example. All Flyer lists were proving dominant, so GW issued an errata that directly targets such lists. Hell, I'm even more encouraged that they didn't just simply increase Stormraven costs by 50%, since that would have worked, but would have also hurt people that just wanted to take one or two in their non-spam lists. Such a change, in my eyes, proves that GW are trying to balance the game.

I'd also like to add that just cause Dan got a lot of blowout victories doesn't mean they were blowout games. 8th does seem to result in more tabling, cause everything dies faster, but you can have a game that goes to the wire until someone can finish off the other first.

The Eternal Lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    I am curious how the landscape of 40k will look after a few Codex books have landed, and of course even more so when all the armies have gotten their codex. Would not call the top 5 lists of the ATC pretty or ''new'' compared to all the WAAC nonsense of late 7'th, but I do think that there is a potential for more balanced play. Just not in a tourney, which is okay in my books. If a tourney was not WAAC, it would be kinda huh ???

Cheers

Ugh

Post Thanks / Like
    A little anecdotal to take one persons result and extrapolate it out to a systemic balance issue. That said, I'm not going to defend the game as perfect. But I'm happy with the changes they made, and more importantly, the changes they promise to make. Take the recent FAQs, for example. All Flyer lists were proving dominant, so GW issued an errata that directly targets such lists. Hell, I'm even more encouraged that they didn't just simply increase Stormraven costs by 50%, since that would have worked, but would have also hurt people that just wanted to take one or two in their non-spam lists. Such a change, in my eyes, proves that GW are trying to balance the game.

I'd also like to add that just cause Dan got a lot of blowout victories doesn't mean they were blowout games. 8th does seem to result in more tabling, cause everything dies faster, but you can have a game that goes to the wire until someone can finish off the other first.
    So your saying the game isnt necessarily unbalanced but also that it's great GW are trying to balance it .... That's some out there logic!

Plus addressing tournament level imbalance is a very different thing to dealing with club level. That's nerfing the good stuff not boosting the underpowered stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Morr View Post
    So your saying the game isnt necessarily unbalanced but also that it's great GW are trying to balance it .... That's some out there logic!
    There is certainly nothing contradictory about my statement. Besides, I was just pointing out that one person's results aren't some indictment of the whole system. And since I had already mentioned that the primary reason 8th will be a better balanced game compared to previous editions is because GW has stated they want to more actively make changes, of course I would find it great that they are trying to balance it.

Finally, I'm pretty sure I pointed out that the way the change they made to address the Stormraven-spam tournament lists is actually a good thing for more casual play.

The Eternal Lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that's a crazy turn around. Two rounds of FAQs before the first codex drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is certainly nothing contradictory about my statement. Besides, I was just pointing out that one person's results aren't some indictment of the whole system. And since I had already mentioned that the primary reason 8th will be a better balanced game compared to previous editions is because GW has stated they want to more actively make changes, of course I would find it great that they are trying to balance it.

Finally, I'm pretty sure I pointed out that the way the change they made to address the Stormraven-spam tournament lists is actually a good thing for more casual play.
    Not my point at all! The issue isn't that tournament corrections may or may not effect casual play, the issue is that casual play is not assessed for balance issues. Take the pyrovore for last edition it never saw tournament play yet was massively crap for its points. If tournaments are the basis for balance adjustments you only ever tone down the stuff at the top, you never improve the stuff at the bottom and as such can never hope to balance the game.