Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Co-operative Story Writing

Hey everyone;

So I've started and given up on multiple different pieces in the past (fantasy novels, futuristic, apocolyptic, etc.). My one issue has always been getting distracted (ooohhh shiny sh**), losing my train of thought and never continuing.

Now these are obviously not great traits to see on someone suggesting a co-operative writing project, but I'm usually around chapter 20 or so when it falters. So it's not like I'm just going to drop off after the first paragraph.

The Proposition

Im looking for a group of amateur writers who may be interested in working on a writing piece together. I would prefer fantasy, as that's where my strengths lie, but I can be persuaded elsewhere.

So, if you're interested let me know. And we can work out the details thereafter.

Last edited by LneWlf; 15th November 2017 at 00:20.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war...

Dileas Gu Brath, Nuli Secundus

Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame.

Rolling an 18 DrakonTheNightLord's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like things like these. Count me in.

Bear Island knows no Kim but the Kim in the North, whose name is Jong Un.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought this might catch your attention. Any preferences on genre? I figure we can give it a few days/weeks to see who else might be interested before setting anything in concrete (so to speak).

Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by LneWlf View Post
    give it a few days/weeks
    I agree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I’m always down for more fantasy/SciFi in my life.

Post Thanks / Like
    So any thoughts on what to write about? Might as well start throwing out ideas, see what everyone has in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I always wanted to write a grand story starting from the dawn of civilization all the way to science-fiction future, so I'm down with anything. We can start from classic fantasy and work our way up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by DrakonTheNightLord View Post
    I always wanted to write a grand story starting from the dawn of civilization all the way to science-fiction future, so I'm down with anything. We can start from classic fantasy and work our way up?
    Sounds like a great idea, following a single kingdom/world throughout the ages. Exploring how various races make and build a world through magic and technology.

Post Thanks / Like
    We could do a story that focuses on a world through the eyes of three different characters (or more), each at a different point in tinge and how they deal with the world around them, and the changes happening?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    tinge
    I'm guessing this is time? :p

Yeah, 3 different writers working on 3 separate points of history would be interesting to see. Let's break it to years 0-999, 1000 - 2999, and 3000 onwards. So you have your medieval / fantasy settings, modern, and science fiction timelines that we can develop without truly interfering with each other's work. Of course, writers on the future points of history should have some say on how characters from the past are portrayed in history, etc etc.

Good plan? Should we pick which period we want to work on now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by DrakonTheNightLord View Post
    I'm guessing this is time? :p

Yeah, 3 different writers working on 3 separate points of history would be interesting to see. Let's break it to years 0-999, 1000 - 2999, and 3000 onwards. So you have your medieval / fantasy settings, modern, and science fiction timelines that we can develop without truly interfering with each other's work. Of course, writers on the future points of history should have some say on how characters from the past are portrayed in history, etc etc.

Good plan? Should we pick which period we want to work on now?
    A perfect example of predictive text making mistakes. Yes, time was the proper word.

I'm liking this idea so far, although continuity would be difficult at first. Clearly the person writing the sci-fi/future portion would be at a slight disadvantage with historic figures/etc. Although this could be a discussion held prior to writing anything.

It's very workable if you ask me. Your guys thoughts? Any preferences for time periods?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think writers on later historical dates will have to wait for earlier writers to put down something first before they can actually kick on. I suggest the first writer be @LneWlf because this is your venture after all, so you set the tone and the world, how fantastical do you want it to be etc, to provide grounding for future writers in terms of continuity.

The future writers in this sense will have some kind of advantage over earlier writers because they can essentially dictate how events in the past transpired, or at least how they were portrayed to transpire. A hero in the early ages could be totally forgotten or rewritten by the time of the space age, etc. Or if a future writer says that this person dies here at this time in the past, that would probably have to be respected as continuity or at least treated as some kind of propaganda / mistake.

I would probably like the middle chunk, from years 1000 - 2999, basically where the more 'material' parts of history are as opposed to the more mythological fantasy or sci-fi settings of the past and future.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to have a preference for early age/fantasy writings, so I'm fine with either start or end.

@theonelogician do you have any preference?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'd be fine with either, but I'll take the end, because that seems to be the best place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good. So I can cover the beginning centuries, do we want to do it in thousand year blocks, or do we want bigger/smaller?

Also, do we want to set any guidelines around the universe, or simply see what develops and go from there?

Edit: And what's plan on how to work on this; are we posting here, or would we want to use a Google Drive/Onedrive Word document that can be edited by those with permission? I have a OneDrive I can link you too, which would allow you to work on a Word document that is shared. Thoughts?

Last edited by LneWlf; 22nd November 2017 at 04:11. Reason: See edit note.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't have to be a rigid X year to Z year sort of thing. Theoretically we should want more leeway to write and cross write events that transpire. The year thing was kinda just a rough reference and can be easily divided into "Fantasy Medieval", "Industrial-Modern", and general science-fiction blocks.

Let's say at least a 100 year gap between writers to ensure other writers don't get boxed in. We can develop further guidelines from there. I think for starters, @LneWlf can post here his first bit, and then I will post mine, then @theonelogician can post his, and then we can carry on and write and react to each other's works from there, keeping in mind not to carry on some event or thread without permission from the original writer.

It would be good if the first post is updated frequently with all work posted so that you can have like a master-post where everything is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure put all the pressure on me to start....ill begin on a prologue and chapter one. Might have it done by the weekend, depending on how productive and decisive I am...

Post Thanks / Like
    So I may completely scrap this as a prologue, but this is what I did in the last hour or so. Not sure if I'm happy with it though, so don't take it as set in stone for any of it. The biggest thing I dislike is that it is almost too fantastical. Feels to me like it doesn't have the ability to move sci-fi-ish. Unless you guys think you can work with it? I mean, it is just an introduction to the world after all....

Prologue

Most worlds come into existence with a bang, a giant flash across the universe that is visible to all who care to see it. Those who know what to look for, can usually watch a world come into fruition. They are able to watch as Gods and Goddesses create new life, new beings. It is a show that many are fond of, and that many never forget during their lives.

This was not so for Teibos. The world was brought into existence by the Caena, the Goddess of Creation itself. It was by her hand, hidden away from all who might see and corrupt it, that Caena created an oasis, designed to be a place of peace.

For a time Teibos was exactly that. The world was populated with animals, who's natural order balanced itself. Fauna provided for prey, prey provided predator, the world balanced itself, and Caena watched her creation in pride. But as time grew on, something did not feel complete for Caena. Something about Teibos was missing.

Caena contemplated for a long time on her decision. She had seen many other worlds become corrupted by what she now considered doing, but she felt that perhaps she could control it. For was she not the Goddess of All?

Knowing she couldn't turn to others for help in this dilemma, she battled with herself even as she watched her own world prosper and others fall to chaos and ruin. It was while watching these worlds, that she noticed small specks that stood out against others. Small, tiny glimmers of hope and peace. It was these glimmers that finished her decision for her. And so, Caena brought sentient life to Teibos.

She's created humanity, as seen in so many other worlds. They were humanoid, like herself, and came in all sides and colours, from pale to dark. She gave them a mixture of features, ranging from rose coloured hair, to violet coloured eyes. She instilled upon them a knowledge of peace and care, hoping they would protect her world from harm.

Alongside them she created two other species, bearing imagines similar to Gods she had long ago seen, but who had disappeared from her existence. The first of these she named the Drastyr. In body they appeared buck like, with large antlers, broad bodies, and four long legs. However they also carried feathered wings, capable of lifting their bodies across the skies, and a telepathic affinity. They were given a sacred duty instilled into their being, to watch over and protect those humans who called Teibos home.
    She then created her third sentient species, naming them the Mesorem. To these, she gave the job of accompanying those dying to the afterlife, to provide them an ease into the world beyond. These beings were given the ability to transverse between the living plane and the spirit plane, providing a comfort for those in passing.

When she was finished she watched her new world, as the three species learnt their place. For a time peace continued, and Caena began to believe she had found the balance in life that sentient and non-sentient life needed. The Drastyr, Humanity and Mesorem appeared to live in harmony among the other creatures of the world. But with all things, this did not last. Soon, Humanity began to want more, to control all. Among then emerged those who created new beliefs, harmful beliefs. It wasn’t long in the Goddess’ eye before war broke out. Sides were taken by all, with Drastyr and Mesorem being dragged against each other. Souls roamed the spirit world unguided as the Mesorem population dwindled, Humans who had once called upon the Drastyr for protection and guidance soon found their calls unanswered. In a blink of the eye for Caena, Teibos fell into the chaos she long feared.

Yet from it the hope she had always seen arose. Members of humanity appeared to fight back the darkness and unite those who feuded. Teibos struggled for a time, before falling into another stretch of harmony. But just as before, the wars began. And so Teibos fell into the cycle of war and peace, it’s people advancing, only to have everything torn down and begun again. And from the shadows, Caena watched sadly as her creation suffered, becoming a black spot on her heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    too fantastical.
    If a bunch of pale folk from a damp island could make Chav Greenskins and Space Elves into a major science-fiction franchise, I don't see how anything we make can't be anything we want it to be

Also perhaps when we write, we should drop the colored text, makes it easier to read. Feel free to chop and change though, still at work so it'll be a while before I get back home and start writing.

Bacon Fondler Psychedelic Lictor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not wishing to interrupt or back-seat drive gents, but might suggest settling on a theme or two so the sections are more cohesive - it could be pretty basic like law vs chaos, eteranl shift of power etc - otherwise risk just having three works that don't bare much connection besides a loose chronological thread.

Ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken; a lifetime's commitment for a pig.