Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Painting Q and A

how should i keep my bottles of Citadel paints from losing their water content and hardening up?

An Imperial Guard flak armour vest has only a 1/3 chance of stopping a lasgun shot. How pathetic, they can't even stop friendly fire most of the time!

Post Thanks / Like

bottles?

anyway, the reasons whythe paint gets all screwy are due to 2 main reasons, the first being that it dries with the air and the second is lack of mixing paints.

so first with the airi drying aspect, nothing can be done about that apart from minimising the time the paint is exposed to the air. the first tip, as with all painting, use a pallette, can range from a kitchen tile, an old cd case an actual pallette or even a pag or something. take the paint from the pot and put on the pallette. after you take the paint out close the lid while it does stop alot of air getting to the paint when painting.

tip the second, if you get paint around the rims of the pots and it has dried or whatever, clean it all off(easier when it is a big lump of dried paint) if the paint is there then it can cause the "seal" of the pot to not form properly allowing a small enough gap for air to get into the pot and slowly dry some of the paint.

tip the third, before you use a paint shake the bottle/pot/whatever as it will remix any of the water and pigments that may have seperated. thus being put back to its original state.

tip the fourth add water to your paints every 2 or so weeks if they aren't in use, a couple of drops then shake means that any moisture that is lost due to heat or simple lost over time is replaced allowing it to stay liquidy longer, possibly 1 week if you live in a hot area.

these tips will help anyone take care of their paints and are all pretty easy to do.

We are Kazeyomi!

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power.

Gralphs Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

How would you suggest I go about doing freehand on something like a cloak? I am going to attemp to make a large =][= symbol on my Inquisitors cloak, but, I am not so sure how I should go about applying it without screwing it up too much. Should I etch it lightly in pencil first, then fill it in with paint? I havent done much freehand, so any help would be nice

"It is the unconquerable nature of man and not the nature of the weapon he uses that ensures victory.'

-General George S. Patton

Post Thanks / Like

well as with all freehand, first you design and practise on a bit of paper. then you get some watered down paint and carefully outline what you designed and practiced ontothe cloak then carefully go back and flesh out where necessary and highlight until you get it the way you want. also remember to break up anything you do so it is easier to flesh out.

We are Kazeyomi!

Gralphs Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, okay, thank you very much . I will attempt to practive it on paper, as it is a fairly complex design to me, with all the skulls and that. So, should I outline the design when its done with a very thin line of black to make it stand out? Or perhaps just one side to make it seem 3D ish?

"It is the unconquerable nature of man and not the nature of the weapon he uses that ensures victory.'

-General George S. Patton

Post Thanks / Like

got any tips for painting catachan green power armour?

its like painting watered down chocoalte. i have to do several really thick coats, and even then it doesn't go smoothly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Spetznaz
    got any tips for painting catachan green power armour?

its like painting watered down chocoalte. i have to do several really thick coats, and even then it doesn't go smoothly
    I mix Catachan Green with the Knarloc Green foundation paint because I had exactly that problem on this guy (WIP):

The green is a basecoat of Knarloc Green with one coat of a mixture of Knarloc Green and Catachan Green in this picture.

Mantic Rules Committee: Kings of War & Warpath
    If a topic is in the wrong place or has been Necro'd use the report button, don't spam the topic.
    Hobby Blog!
    Painting & Modelling Blog!
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, but the colour i need is pure catachan, its too late to change. I bought Orkhide shade, but its too dark. Il get knarloc green, but i think ill just baseoat it with that. ALso does using GW spray undercoat vs Hardware store undercoat make a difference?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

yeah, but the colour i need is pure catachan, its too late to change. I bought Orkhide shade, but its too dark. Il get knarloc green, but i think ill just baseoat it with that.
    In which case you might need to do a Catachan/Knarloc/medium green coat (Snot? My paints are all tidied up right now and my memory has failed me) so the Knarloc thickens it and the other green brings it back to the right colour.

ALso does using GW spray undercoat vs Hardware store undercoat make a difference?
    Shouldn't really

If a topic is in the wrong place or has been Necro'd use the report button, don't spam the topic.
    Hobby Blog!
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

i think hardware store spray is too textured, thats why my paint doesnt go on smoothly

Post Thanks / Like

the first thing sptznat is that you should ALWAYS use thinned down paints and many of them to get a smooth coverage. also with ork hide shade, it being darker is a good thing, it creates a base colour to work from that isn't as harsh as black which creates less obvious blotches.

i never really had problems with catachan green at all but if you have a smooth undercoat (especially on marines) then the paint will not stick very wel in the first place so undercoat your models as you do normally, then after that is dry, give it a dusting of black again so it has a slightly rough texture which sounds bad but isn't noticable after paint. so a quick squirt of paint from the can on the model and done, paint sticks much better to a rough surface than a smooth one.

We are Kazeyomi!

Gralphs Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

I got a question regarding basing and attaching models to the base. Right now I attach and paint a model before I even worry about the base, but I was wondering whether I should paint and detail each separately and then attach them?

Originally Posted by edmundblack View Post
    Vent, you fiend, you shall feel my wrath for this insolence!
    Originally Posted by Architech View Post
    I hate you...and everything you stand for

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Vent
    I got a question regarding basing and attaching models to the base. Right now I attach and paint a model before I even worry about the base, but I was wondering whether I should paint and detail each separately and then attach them?
    Depends how you base. I base with sand, so I base first, spray, then do the first 3 layers of drybrushing the base before I touch the rest of the model. It's the "messiest" bit, I'd hate to slip and muck up another part of the model that I'd finished.

Hobby Blog!
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by Baragash

Depends how you base. I base with sand, so I base first, spray, then do the first 3 layers of drybrushing the base before I touch the rest of the model. It's the "messiest" bit, I'd hate to slip and muck up another part of the model that I'd finished.
    This is exactly what I'm afraid of. Thanks Baragash, I think I'll do it this way as well

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by Baragash

what he said, i do sometimes spray white then put the sand on as sand isn't a good colour to have white as it looks a bit dumb.

We are Kazeyomi!

Gralphs Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

thinned down paints...man, shows my lack of experience. only been collecting for 6 years! *slaps head* But how much water? a drop? or not water some chemical.

Sorry im a nub

Post Thanks / Like

thinned down paints...man, shows my lack of experience. only been collecting for 6 years! *slaps head* But how much water? a drop? or not water some chemical.

Sorry im a nub
    When you paint you take an amount out and put it on a pallette. Then put a single drop of water next to it and mix it to your preferred consistency. It'll take a little bit of time to get the mix right though, make sure it's not to thin otherwise it goes everywhere...

Post Thanks / Like

thanks a bunch. im so cut off from the rest of the world that i never really got taught how to paint

Post Thanks / Like

thanks a bunch. im so cut off from the rest of the world that i never really got taught how to paint
    I only started in August... You might want to wait for someone else

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Vent

Sorry im a nub
    When you paint you take an amount out and put it on a palate. Then put a single drop of water next to it and mix it to your preferred consistency. It'll take a little bit of time to get the mix right though, make sure it's not to thin otherwise it goes everywhere...
    Pretty much....get a smooth surface for a pallette (I normally thieve sample tiles from DIY stores, easy to clean with wire wool). Put pain on brush, transfer to tile, dip tip of brush in water and mix into paint, add more paint/water to right thickness (I normally find a bit more paint is needed). The "right" thickness is such that the paint is not lumpy/thick when it goes on, but also covers the previous coat smoothly/non-patchy.

Hobby Blog!
    Gallery