Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Painting & Modelling Q and A

Drakonthenightlord has so graciously begun the arduous task of compiling a list of the questions and answers found within this thread. Credit to Gralph!?! for starting this thread in the first place.

Color Comparison Chart (courtesy of Dakka Dakka)

Q: How do you do NMM?

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: How do I do scrolls and crusader seals?

Submitted by Novasry

Submitted by gralph!?!

Submitted by Ricky Chang

Q: How do you paint flesh? Currently I base with Scorched Brown, then Graveyard Earth, and then I highlight with Dwarf Flesh, and a final Highlight of Elf Flesh.

Submitted by gralph!?!

Submitted by Belzebub

Q: Should I continue to do my idea of a. paint DA green over black and then just dry brush whole mini with snot green, or b. highlight edges with snot green instead of dry brushing?

Submitted by Belzebub

Q: Source lighting... HOW?

Submitted by Belzebub

Q: How could I paint my chaplains skull I have tried bleached bone and skull white.

Submitted by tone.tran

Submitted by Baragash

Q: I don't have nearly enough cash for Citadel paints- what sort of off the shelf paints should I look for, and what type? Are these paints acrylic, or something else?

Submitted by Belzebub

Q: What are some of you painting guru's favorite brush sizes for various tasks? And are there any good tips on painting with the very small brushes? When I'm working with my smallest, for instance, I seem to have trouble with the very finest portions of the point folding over, as it were, rather than depositing paint -- is this a paint thickness issue?

Submitted by gralph!?!

Submitted by tone.tran

Q: How should I paint my bikers in Black Templar style?

Submitted by Drakes Pride

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: Other then a steady hand, how would you suggest painting fine details? things like eyes, freehand decals, etc,

Submitted by Ricky Chang

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: How should I keep my bottles of Citadel paints from losing their water content and hardening up?

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: How would you suggest I go about doing freehand on something like a cloak? I am going to attempt to make a large =][= symbol on my Inquisitors cloak, but, I am not so sure how I should go about applying it without screwing it up too much. Should I etch it lightly in pencil first, then fill it in with paint?

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: Got any tips for painting Catachan green power armour? Its like painting watered down chocolate. i have to do several really thick coats, and even then it doesn't go smoothly.

Submitted by Baragash

Q: Yeah, but the colour I need is pure Catachan, its too late to change. I bought Orkhide shade, but its too dark. I'll get Knarloc green, but I think I'll just basecoat it with that.

Submitted by Baragash

Q: Also does using GW spray undercoat vs Hardware store undercoat make a difference?

Submitted by Baragash

Q: I think hardware store spray is too textured, that's why my paint doesn't go on smoothly.

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q:But how much water? a drop? or not water some chemical.

Submitted by Vent

Q: I got a question regarding basing and attaching models to the base. Right now I attach and paint a model before I even worry about the base, but I was wondering whether I should paint and detail each separately and then attach them?

Submitted by Baragash

Q: This has had me thinking: how does one go about painting the burnt gunk/residue on the barrels of flamers/meltas and exhaust pipes?

Submitted by Baragash

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: Do I need primer for metal models?

Submitted by Vent

Q: I'm going to experiment on my High Elves by adding fabric banners and pennants (with GS'd Elven runes on them). Presumably the fabric will need to be sealed before applying paint... any recommendations? I'm working on the assumption a spray of varnish to seal the fabric is the way forward.....

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: What is wet blending and how do you do it???

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: What the difference between a wash or an ink? Can't seem to find the old GW inks (black ink) now they are called washes in new bottles (Badab Black). I find it hard to the black line painting for example painting Ultramarines Blue leaving all the cracks/lines black.

Could I not paint the whole mini Ultramarines Blue, then apply a Badab Black wash just in a fine matter to all the cracks/lines and then touch up with Utramarines Blue and then apply highlights?

Submitted by gralph!?!

What happens to the paint if you base coat a model using the spray and it is under the temperature limit?

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: I have a problem in determining the color I should use for my freehand. I have checked over some color theory and haven't come up with an answer. White will work, but it is a very stark contrast with such a dark red. I am thinking maybe bleached bone. If anyone has some advice I would appreciate it muchly.

Submitted by Baragash

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: I am making my own SM chapter and my armour is painted 50/50 red gore/mechrite red. Looking for help/advice on what red to use for highlights? Also I was thinking of black capes for my company captain, looking for a process on how to paint/highlight black capes/robes?

Submitted by Baragash

Q: I just hate GW White, has anyone tried other water based white paint that works really well, like paints found in a craft store?

Submitted by 'Ritha

Q: How could I display the Crux Terminatus, or termie honors by painting? Just anywhere primarily the shoulder pads though.

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: How do you paint bare faces, shading etc?

Q: How to paint skulls molded on to SM backpacks, shoulder pads, etc, what colors are used for each option:
    1. Bone/White skulls
    2. Grey Skulls (Termie shoulder pads)
    3. Silver Skulls
    4. Gold Skulls

Submitted by Baragash

Q: How does one paint dark skin?

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: How should I do highlights?

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: How would you advise painting white fur on Skaven???

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: Can anyone recommend any good color schemes for Chaos Marines for someone who is pretty bad at painting?

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: I bought 3 new brushes with the intention of touching up my previous work. They're really fine and detailed brushes. For some reason, they are more much more difficult to use than Citadel Starter Brush which comes with the Space Marines Starter Pack. They don't produce solid lines of paint when applied. For example if I paint blue on a black coloured base, I can see both blue and black. The base colour is not entirely covered by the new colour. And if I apply the paint straight from the pot without mixing with water, it's so thick there's tidemarks all over the place. I'm not sure if it's because of the brand or if it's incompatible with the paint or it it just the nature of fine brushes

Submitted by Novasry

Q: How could I go about painting elf flesh that ends up almost white in colour? Very pale flesh, normally associated with Dark Elves.

Submitted by endgamecutter

Submitted by Baragash

Q: Been told Winsor/Newton Series 7 Sable are very good brushes and I am on my way to my local art store to check them out. Question first, I am painting Orks, what sizes of brushes should I start with?

Submitted by Ritha

Q: How would you go about making black not look so new and shiny??? Maybe add some Brown to it??

Submitted by Ritha

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: Any tips on how to stop paints drying up?

Submitted by Vent, with additions from Baragash

Q: 1: How do I prevent washes from covering the high points?
    2: Any tips on keeping a steady hand?

Submitted by Ritha

Q: I was wondering if the pros here assemble then prime and paint, or prime and paint everything separately.

Submitted by Baragash

Submitted by Novasry

Q: How Do You Add Water To Paints? What ratio of Paint:Water I should use?

Submitted by Vent

Q: How do you get the desired colors when mixing? Is there any easy way that I'm simply overlooking?

Submitted by Vent

Q: What is the coldest temperature I can prime at?

Submitted by Todosi

Q: How long do you spend painting a normal rank and file model. I seem to spend anywhere between and hour and half and two and a half. Is this healthy? By the way, they are High elf models.

Submitted by Baragash

Q: Can anyone suggest a good driller for weapon muzzles?

Submitted by Glomscient

How do you make smooth layers?

Submitted by Ritha

Q: Is there a way to remove the spray paint that's gluing my model to a pizza box without forcing it? (I'd rather not risk breaking the model)

Submitted by Ritha

Q: Hey, i'm new to painting but I notice that my paints are kinda splotchy when I paint a model. Is there any way to alleviate this? I heard something about a paint thinner, and is it true when thinning the paints that you can add a couple of droplets of dish detergent to make it flow better?

Submitted by Vent

Q: How do I paint eyes and teeth? What type of brushes do I need?

Submitted by ajrk32

Q: How can I paint gems and lenses?

Submitted by Dannijt

Q: Whenever I paint white, I end up with a very chalky looking final color. I sufficiently thin my paints, and usually do 4-5 coats of white to get it to a decent coverage, but it still turns out looking chalky.... any advice?

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: I'm starting up guard, and at the moment about to build some Cadians. They have a point on their backs that appears to be designed to attach the vox or flamer tank, but what do you do with the rest of the models that don't have anything on their backs? Should I cut this part off, or do they look fine with it left on?

Submitted by gralph!?!

Q: How far should I assemble my vanilla tyrant/lictor before painting? also, does plastic glue work on paint?

Submitted by Leonartes

Q: Would any spray paint work for getting an undercoat going? I have some Black Rustoleum kicking around and I figure this would put it to better use than what it was originally for.

Submitted by Vent

Q: I'm using Scab Red and Baal Red Wash for my capes and tabards on my Space Marines and am curious, what would be a good color to highlight with? Blood Red?

Submitted by Ritha

Q: I recently purchased a regiment of Tau Fire Warriors, and picked out what I thought would be a good color scheme, so after my models were finished I did what I usually do and primed with black spray paint, once dry I attempted to apply my primary color, Kommando Khaki.

I noticed that the khaki wasn't covering the black, so re-primed the one or two mini's I had done in white, hoping that the khaki would cover better. unfortunately i'm still having trouble getting the khaki to cover anything, it seems very watery and i'm having to put near to six coats on to get a steady color.

Submitted by Ritha

Q: When doing the base...do you do the base THEN add the model or vice-versa?

Submitted by Ritha

Q: Any good idea's on how to make slime on bases? Or a "slime" river if that makes any sense?

Submitted by Exalphalog

Q: Painting rocks: How do you do it? I want a fairly clean stone (ie gray) but I can't seem to get it to look right. Any pointers?

Submitted by Dimitri

Q: Blood splatter: I'm not talking blood on a sword blade nor am I talking blood spray onto armor, but rather blood on the bottom of something big and heavy. In this case, a rock (see above) that is frequently used to bash skulls in.

Submitted by ShadowSplicer57

Q: My Primary color is Chainmail, And my secondary is Blood Red. What color would be best for painting pipes and ammo feeds? I have enchanted blue, But what Green would be good?

Submitted by Brother-Captain Sharp

Q: Is devlan mud acceptable for painting faces? If so, how do you think that I should go about doing this? I also would like to know if snakebite leather is an acceptable basecoat for faces, skulls, base sand, etc. if not, then what is?

Submitted by Lucian

Q: Hi there. I decided to paint my Dark Eldar Army dark green. For my base coat I will be using Chaos Black. Then an overbrush (or a full coat) of Dark Angels Green. What color should I use to highlight the model by drybrushing? I've been thinking about Knarloc Green from the Citadel Foundation series but it may be too dark. Any suggestions?

Submitted by Enigmacookie

Q: Are there paints that are already so thin that watering them down is unnecessary? I found Skull White *really* difficult to use after watering it down.

Submitted by Baragash

Q: How do you apply your water? I have the closest thing I could find to an eye dropper--a medicine measuring thing for babies--but a single drop from it is fairly large. I was able to just add more paint and get everything else to cooperate, but I'm assuming that for Skull White and other thin paints, I need to use significantly less water, but I can't figure out how to control how much I use.

Submitted by Baragash

Q: I keep getting what looks like air bubbles when I put my paint on my palette. Is this something I am doing wrong? like perhaps adding to much water or just because the brush I use to do this is utter garbage?

Submitted by Vikinboere

Q: Do foundation paints, and metallic paints need to be watered down a little like regular paints?

Submitted by Vikinboere

Q: How does one use the new washes? I remember the inks you needed to water down, do you need to water these down? Also when putting it on a model should you use a lot, or a little, or is it just to taste? (I mean to get the desired effect of it running into the creases and such).

Submitted by Vikinboere

Q: Does anyone have any advice for painting soot and grime on skin?

Submitted by Leonartes

Q: How would I go about making black power armor look worn?

Submitted by Edmundblack

Q: Matte Varnish spray is used to seal models to prevent paint chipping, correct? Can I matte a model, and then apply gloss varnish over things like gems and get the glossy effect?

Submitted by Brother-Captain Sharp

Q: Whats the best way to transfer paint from the citadel jars to your pallete?

Submitted by Edmundblack

Q: So what is the best way to paint a dark leather tinted red, almost black, a lot like the red leather seats on the reaver jet bikes in the dark eldar codex?

Submitted by Edmundblack

Q: Anyone have any tips on painting Lapis Lazuli?

Submitted by Sneggy

Q: How do I wash on Black Legion?

Submitted by Beeva

Q: Some of the color directions state a 50/50 mix, or a part to part mix. What is the best way to measure these mixtures? Does GW make a tool?

Brother-Captain Sharp

Q: How do I avoid getting bumpy and streaky finishes when painting with a brush, I've gotten pretty good at picking out detail and highlighting but the bumpy streaky finish always annoys me and detracts from the overall look

Submitted by Edmundblack

Q: Glazes....what are they and how do they work?

Submitted by Miscreant

Q: What are some good brushes for freehands?!

Submitted by Edmundblack

Q: I have a paint scheme I want to work with so I plan to mix a large quantity of paint. Any advice when it comes to storing it so it will last a long time? I'm concerned it might dry up or stick to the walls of the 4 oz paint canisters I purchased.

Submitted by Miscreant

Q: I have a question regarding the base on the Helbrute from the new Dark Vengeance set. The base has no holes for the pegs to go into, and I was just wondering what size of drill bit do I use to make the two holes for the pegs to fit into?

Submitted by Edmundblack

Submitted by Miscreant

-Admin-

LastChancer: "Arch, you are my hero"
    Lemartes: "Arch is truth"

Bah! Tabletop Podcasts: Arch DMs some 5th Edition DnD and Other Gaming too!

Post Thanks / Like

Painting & Modelling Q and A

well.... looking at alot of threads in the painting forum, i noticed a fair few threads asking for help doing certain effects and how to model such andsuch. basicly lots of questions. due to these, belzebub, ricky chang and myself have agreed to make this thread.

the purpose of the thread is to allow people to ask questions about painting or modeling and we can give you the help you need. no longer will you need to post the threadasking about it since we will help you if it is posted in this thread (it is alot easier to read them all from one thread than in multiple threads)

so guys, be it from mold line removal to dusting a model with white , brom drybrushing to Non Metalic Metals feel free to ask.

We are Kazeyomi!

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power.

Gralphs Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Painting Q and A

Thats it gralph!?!........Brethren....feel free to ask, there are no silly questions.

My Dark Angels, the purest of the gene seeds:
    http://www.40kforums.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... &sk=t&sd=a
    http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...eemermini4.jpg
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/daBelzebub

Admin: One sig image only please.
    Belzebub: It's O.K., I've noticed...you killed the wrong sig, dear Admin...expect the wrath of the Lion.

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing as you mentioned it Gralph, how the hell do you do NMM?

Good idea for a thread may I add

Post Thanks / Like

there are numerous ways to do NMM. the main things you need to worry about before trying is practicing with watered down paints, this is a MUST in order to achieve the effects.

for the most part it is getting the surface, blend it from light to dark then put on a sever highlight of white or off white along the darker edges and a smaller one on the lighter areas.

i may have to get my camera sorted to do a tutorial.

We are Kazeyomi!

Gralphs Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

how do i do scrolls and crusader seals

the lanterns shall burn for i am THE RED RANGER
    POWER RANGERS DINOFORCE
    you know you want to join the official power rangers forum...like me http://www.rangerboard.com/

like necromunda??? play it online at http://easternfringe.com/underhive/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hate to steal the thundert of the experts but i just paint the bleach bone, little bit of highlighting, and scribble away

"The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, and yet you still dare oppose our will"

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by wartyg
    much like what novasrt said, but instead of bleached bone, paint the scrolls in khemri brown or graveyard earth first. after that highlight with bleached bone along the edges, it will look more anceint and for the writting, get a fine detail brush and try to paint small wavy lines so it looks like writing.

for the wax seel then paint it in red then give it a brown wash of paint or ink.

We are Kazeyomi!

Gralphs Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question, its probably fairly simple, but I struggle a small bit with it. How do you paint flesh? Currently I base with Scorched Brown, then Graveyard Earth, and then I highlight with Dwarf Flesh, and a final Highlight of Elf Flesh. Its okay I suppose for TT quality, but I would like to know how actual good painters like yourselves do it, as my painting is dreadful. I mainly would like to know how you do faces in particular.

"It is the unconquerable nature of man and not the nature of the weapon he uses that ensures victory.'

-General George S. Patton

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by Vz
    I have a question, its probably fairly simple, but I struggle a small bit with it. How do you paint flesh? Currently I base with Scorched Brown, then Graveyard Earth, and then I highlight with Dwarf Flesh, and a final Highlight of Elf Flesh. Its okay I suppose for TT quality, but I would like to know how actual good painters like yourselves do it, as my painting is dreadful. I mainly would like to know how you do faces in particular.
    honestly, it isn't all that difficult.

thebasics of how i paint flesh, i start with a medium to light colour, so the dwarf flesh, then i shade where i want then highlight a little above it to get a smoother look with more colour.

the way you do it, is fine although i strongly recommend you ditch the elf flesh and scorched brown, you do not need a really dark base when painting a face to a high standard so the scorched brown looks funny, good on table top but if you look at it close up it just looks wierd (i do all my painting up close and personal so i cannot do it the with dark lines everywhere) and the elf flesh is way too light when doing your style of skin tone. maybe if you use a little bronzed flesh mixed with the dwarf flesh and try it out that way. it will look better than the elf flesh and scorched brown combo. .

We are Kazeyomi!

Gralphs Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, thank you! I'll have to try to do that when I paint next. I was only really applying scorched brown I think, because I found graveyard earth comes out too thinly on its own, so I thought it needed a base. I suppose though, with dwarf flesh ontop, it doesnt matter as much.

"It is the unconquerable nature of man and not the nature of the weapon he uses that ensures victory.'

-General George S. Patton

Post Thanks / Like

since i am in the other side of the earth from most of you, so probably be answer questions for those sleepless souls.
    i am no good in flesh and nmm, so ill just leave those parts for gralph and Belzebub.
    Originally Posted by wartyg
    i do scroll and purity seal this way; a well covered layer of bleached bones, ink with Gryphonne Sepia in 3 to 4 layer depends on how aged effect of the scroll you want it be. when inking with Gryphonne Sepia, remember to wait the previous ink layer completely dry otherwise the new painted ink will wash up the previous one. finally highlight the edges with thinned white. the Citadel inks dry up glossy, so give a matt varnish to the painted area to tone down the gloss.

Post Thanks / Like

This question is for Baz...

I'm starting to paint Dark Angels again. 1) Should I continue to do my idea of a. paint DA green over black and then just dry brush whole mini with snot green, or b. highlight edges with snot green instead of drybrushing.

Also, would it be possible to have a picture session made up by you for painting DeathWing?

Thanks!

I advocate drug use.. the more of you little buggers that haven't got a clue when to abstain, the better.
    -Wardenhammer

The way i counter anything that my Mob of 30 can't handle. I hit it with 2 Mobs of 30. After shooting the living hell of of it.
    -Jedi Hobbit

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

another question, source lighting... HOW

"The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, and yet you still dare oppose our will"

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by Novasry
    another question, source lighting... HOW

How what? How to achieve, or how to see what should be enlighted?

For the what to see: Use a flashlight (from above,from the side) where you should brighten up the colors.

Belzebub: It's O.K., I've noticed...you killed the wrong sig, dear Admin...expect the wrath of the Lion.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by Crimthaan
    This question is for Baz...

I'm starting to paint Dark Angels again. 1) Should I continue to do my idea of a. paint DA green over black and then just dry brush whole mini with snot green, or b. highlight edges with snot green instead of drybrushing.

Also, would it be possible to have a picture session made up by you for painting DeathWing?

Thanks!
    Holy s.h.t. no snotgreen, 'cause they're looking after that like salamanders.

1. Basecoat Black
    2. Paint the whole thing with vallejo military green.
    3. Mix Vallejo military green + Dark Angels green + Badmoon Yellow
    and paint the highest parts with this mixture
    3. Wash with badab black
    4. let it dry
    5. Now its time for the extra highlights: the mix from (3.) mix with white and paint the edges with this mix.
    6. Mix DA Green with much wather and give the green a wash again.
    7. Let it dry, make some freehands, put on "transfershits" and seal that thing.

refer to my pics...

Deathwing:

1. Basecoat Black, let it dry, Basecoat white (as you can see in my tread, don't wanna write a book at this place about that)

2. Paint the whole thing with a mixture of bleached bone and graveyard earth.

3. Paint the highest parts and other sharp armor parts with bleached bone,

4. Gryphone Sephia wash the whole thing, let it dry, dry, and dry.

5. For the deepest parts use Vallejo Smoke thinned with wather.

6. Now highlight that whole thing with a mix of skullwhite and bleached bone.

7. Voil, c'est fini...You've got a beautiful, old lookin' Deathwing Terminator armor.

Coolminiornot rating: 8.3

Questions? look at my Belial pics in my thread, search the sides so you can learn more about my basecoating-technique!

Post Thanks / Like

Also this is an addendum, but drybrushing is a technique leaned upon by more inexperienced painters, but it really hampers your development. I'd suggest abandoning it for blended highlights. While more intially difficult, it will increase the looks of your model significantly.

My mod voice is green.
    If you have any comments, questions, or concerns about my moderating, please PM me.
    Dr. Manfredel is wrong. That kind of thinking is never justified.
    http://www.40kforums.com/vb/showthread.php/7722-Sharp-s-Stuff-Bikers-3-31-12

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by Vz

1. Basecoat white ,Paint the (for example) head with P3 Midlund flesh.
    2. Paint the eyes completely black (eyeballs too)
    3. Give him a wash with P3 Fleshwash thinned with wather
    3. Let it dry
    4. Paint the highest parts of the face with wather thinned Midlund flesh againg (not too much wather, it shouldn't rinse into the facefolds.
    5. Mix P3 Midlundflesh with Vallejo Basic Skintone 2:1 and highlight the highest parts in the face again.
    6. Once again Vallejo Basic skintone to the very highest parts in the face.
    7. Now use a flashlight from above and use Vallejo Basic Skintone mixed with white for the parts of the face enlighted from above from the flashlight.
    8. Paint the eyes white and leave a black line around the white, paint the iris.

Ready...but takes 1 or 2 hours...

Post Thanks / Like

how could i paint my chaplains skull i have tried bleached bone and skull white

the lanterns shall burn for i am THE RED RANGER
    POWER RANGERS DINOFORCE
    you know you want to join the official power rangers forum...like me http://www.rangerboard.com/

like necromunda??? play it online at http://easternfringe.com/underhive/

Post Thanks / Like

Using browns in the recesses will drastically improve the skull look. I'm sure someone else can give a more detailed and better answer but start with a brown and work up to a mix of bleached bone/skull white (or equivalents)

"insert something witty here"

Tarion ? Tone