Post Thanks / Like

Eldar Wraithguard - advice please?

Looking at the Eldar codex I am tempted by a 10-model squad of wraithguard, accompanied by a spirit seer with singing spear.

Now the cost in £ and points is high, so before I do it, is it worth it?

Pros - one tough and fearless troops choice, that would take a lot of killing. The wraithguard would effectively make the spiritseer T6, and they would be able to kill anything.

cons - huge points cost, around 400, the slowness of the squad and the short-ranged firepower.

Also, does anyone have any good ideas on how to make/convert them out of plastic at a much lower cost?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eldar Wraithguard - advice please?

Hi

Yes take the Wraithguard althogh take 2 5 man squads not much less toughness but you can now choose 2 targets.

Oh as for plastic I think Forgeworld used to do a plastic kit not sure if they do now though ,ebay maybe.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by Mattian Wolfbane
    Hi

Yes take the Wraithguard althogh take 2 5 man squads not much less toughness but you can now choose 2 targets.

Oh as for plastic I think Forgeworld used to do a plastic kit not sure if they do now though ,ebay maybe.
    Apart from 2 5-man squads don't count as a troops choice. I've seen a 10-man squad used very well. I'd wonder whether they'd benefit from a Farseer - but then they'd be stupidly expensive.

Lance's Twitter feed

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didnít understand the assignment.
    I told them they didnít understand life."

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by LanceWarrior
    Originally Posted by Mattian Wolfbane
    Hi

Apart from 2 5-man squads don't count as a troops choice. I've seen a 10-man squad used very well. I'd wonder whether they'd benefit from a Farseer - but then they'd be stupidly expensive.
    I have put up a sample list in the forum, "Eldarzilla". in the list I have a farseer + guide + fortune. I hope to run him with the squad, rerolling hits, as they should wound OK already, and rerolling saves.

Come On, Brofist yWizePapaSmurfy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Elfzilla SHOULD be rocks (hard to kill stuff) all over the place,

You have one rock and a lotta small stuff.

Ask Valinor about the Ghost army though, he does it. I don't think it NEEDS 20 Wraithguard, one unit of 10 and maybe a Pathfinder unit for your troops, that's it.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ PRAISE HELIX ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Post Thanks / Like

Definetly go with the 10-strong squad over two 5-strong squads. Waste of elite choices for not much more benefit. I think the Wraithguard could be used quite effectively, I'd say more so in objectives than in an annihilation game. If there's a mid-range objective, then they can move up and take it. If they have to attack, their wraithcannons are great. If they need to hold it, their wraithcannons are powerful against everything. In an assault, they are still very tough. I say go for it and see how it works.

Buying them, ebay all the way. I just sold my old wraithguard and they went for half the retail price with shipping. Don't buy them retail, like I did. Save money where ever you can in this hobby

I played Eldar, then got rid of them. I play Chaos. I am working on an Imperial Guard army.

My Imperial Guard Blog: post1147008.html#p1147008

I am gone in Chicago and New York through the 25th of this month.

Post Thanks / Like

One big problem with the ghost army. . .yes they have high toughness but with the addition of sternguard it means very little. Your 25 model army will look more like a pile of slag in short order agianst anyone fielding too many sternguard. Wraith Lords are even worse agianst space marines now because of hell fire rounds, yes your Wraith Lord has a toughness of 8 but hellfire rounds still wound you on a 2+. Meaning, your three wound wraith lord falls apart very fast. If your going to take a unit of wraith guard you should mount them in a wave serpent so that they can rush up and take the heart out of an enemy force. Oh, and yes, get things cheap if you can while still supporting your LGS, warstore has GW stuff for less money.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by The_Destroyer
    One big problem with the ghost army. . .yes they have high toughness but with the addition of sternguard it means very little. Your 25 model army will look more like a pile of slag in short order agianst anyone fielding too many sternguard. Wraith Lords are even worse agianst space marines now because of hell fire rounds, yes your Wraith Lord has a toughness of 8 but hellfire rounds still wound you on a 2+. Meaning, your three wound wraith lord falls apart very fast. If your going to take a unit of wraith guard you should mount them in a wave serpent so that they can rush up and take the heart out of an enemy force. Oh, and yes, get things cheap if you can while still supporting your LGS, warstore has GW stuff for less money.
    Part from the fact that every Wraith has a 3+ save. And if your opponent is fielding enough Sternguard to chew through 3 Wraithlords and 20 Wraithguard a turn then they're going to have very few troops - in an objtectives game they'd be screwed.

Lance's Twitter feed

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didnít understand the assignment.
    I told them they didnít understand life."

Post Thanks / Like

um, no. You take Pedro Kantor and drop 30 Stern Guard, combat squad them, and youve got a solid base of 6 scoring units before you add your scouts in. Ive seen it happen. And even without Pedro, who cares, they can still contest any spot on the map.